Thread: Ibis Mojo SLR

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Ibis Mojo SLR

Hey there - I'm looking at the Mojo SLR but I have a short torso and long legs...any thoughts on how this particular frame geometry fits?

Thanks everyone for the replies!!

Slothful dirt hippie
    It would help to know how tall you are, how long your legs are, what size you're looking at, and what TT length has seemed about right in the past (if you know).

A bikepacking test with my med '09 Ibis Mojo "classic" (same geometry). I'm 5'8" w ~33" inseam and you can see I've got quite a bit of seat post showing, but the reach is spot-on with the stock stem and handlebars. This bike has about 2300 verifiable miles on it, almost all of it steep (both directions!) single track, and I've just got a new wheel/hub built during the winter overhaul. Got nothin' but love for my baby!
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by verslowrdr View Post
    It would help to know how tall you are, how long your legs are, what size you're looking at, and what TT length has seemed about right in the past (if you know).

A bikepacking test with my med '09 Ibis Mojo "classic" (same geometry). I'm 5'8" w ~33" inseam and you can see I've got quite a bit of seat post showing, but the reach is spot-on with the stock stem and handlebars. This bike has about 2300 verifiable miles on it, almost all of it steep (both directions!) single track, and I've just got a new wheel/hub built during the winter overhaul. Got nothin' but love for my baby!
    Awesome! I am 5'6 with 31" inseam so I'm shorter than you.

Slothful dirt hippie
    TEST RIDING: accept no substitutes!

Have you rode one yet? You're probably looking at either med with a shorter stem* or a small, but there's no way of knowing if that's gonna work until you try it. And you may as well try everything else you can get your mitts on while you're at it. I was visiting family in a more urban area ~200 miles from home when I hopped on the Mojo for the first time along with a SC Blur XC and a Giant Trance. We have a great LBS that carries Specialized in town, but it seems like I'm chronically between sizes on that brand. Oh well... they get a small fortune from me every year in repairs anyway, lol.

* ETA: actually it looks like I gained those 2 inches on you in leg alone, so maybe the med would work stock? But that would also depend on arm length of course. Sleeves on women's stuff are usually short on me. The effective TT length is 22.7" on the medium, and my old Marin TT that I've also thrashed all over comfortably is 23".... again, if you have a bike that fits well and can pull a TT length off that, it will help a LOT.

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by catmac1977 View Post
    Awesome! I am 5'6 with 31" inseam so I'm shorter than you.
    I'm 5'4" or 5'5" (seems to vary depending on my drivers license or the day), and a 28" inseam. I had no issues even fitting the medium Ibises when I test rode them a couple years ago. Great bikes--if it weren't for the BB height, I would have picked one up.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

Slothful dirt hippie
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
    ...Great bikes--if it weren't for the BB height, I would have picked one up.
    Curious, what was the issue with the BB height? Too high?

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by verslowrdr View Post
    Curious, what was the issue with the BB height? Too high?
    For me, yes. I really like scraping my pedals

I was coming off an older Ventana (X-5), which uses really high BB. It was killing my cornering. So going to another bike with a high BB wouldn't have made me happy.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

Slothful dirt hippie
    Yeah, we usually get the opposite complaint going around here w/ low BB models... A lot of our riding is on moto trails where you're trying not to whack pedals on the side of the trench that goes for miles, not to mention all the other stuff littering the joint to ram the bottom of the frame into. As it was I knocked off multiple big ring teeth on the first real trail ride on basalt chunk. *sigh* Should probably change it out for a bash ring anyway.

As happy as I am with the Mojo, there's always so much evolving out there.... I've probably got another 3-5 years before I start seriously bike shopping again, and who knows what will have emerged by then! If I had my way we'd be moving to internal gear hubs and high performing forks that could take a real beating for 5+ years before needing an overhaul. I'm a big fan of 'less stuff to twiddle with' and Fox has been getting on my nerves lately.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I am 5'5'' plus a smidge with 30.5" inseam and LOVE LOVE LOVE my small Mojo SL with 70mm stem

She is used more for technical and all mountain riding than for fast cross country. I might go for the longer medium (and MUCH lighter, faster tires !) if I were mostly doing fast XC riding. But I prefer the agility and handling of a smaller bike/shorter cockpit/ lower standover for most of my riding. I did replace my big ring with a bash guard and my scarred up legs are happy for it.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I am 5'3" with very short legs. I am on a small Mojo SL. It fits me perfectly. I too have noticed the low BB height. It has added another challenge for me, but pedal placement is good to be aware of. So worth it though for all the other wonderful things about the bike.

mtbr member
    You could ride either. Mojo' s run a bit small. I am 5'6 31" inseam. Ibis rep put me on a medium which I owned for a year then sold it for a small. Small was more playful but I did notice it was less stable on technical descents.