Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

hydration pack opinions please?

2K views 21 replies 17 participants last post by  rocknrollbarbie 
#1 ·
:idea: *I'm looking to get a hydration system for my girlfriend this summer that is "female friendly".

Last year we both shared my MULE throughout our rides, but being that she has a D cup, she found it to be a little uncomfortable around her bust area after a while.

I looked in the reviews section for the Camelbak Women's Charm, and the Camelbak Womens Dream, but no one has posted any reviews on them (please: Charm/Dream). Can anyone share their input on how you feel about either of these packs, or suggestions on any others to look into?

#2 ·
i'm a DD and i'm on my second mule through the years. the trick is to move the chest strap up so that it is above the bewbs, and not across them. i have tried on the WS camelbak packs, and because of my wide shoulders, none of them actually fit me very well. i think the modifications on the WS packs is that they are built to accommodate narrower shoulders and shorter torsos. so if she's a taller gal, and her pack fits her everywhere else, then just move that chest strap up higher and save yourself some $$. :D

#6 ·
The new WSD camelbacks come in a 100oz reservoir. They've finally fixed that issue. :thumbsup:

I'm also a D and I just never use the chest strap at all. I just keep the shoulder straps snug, and even when I'm on DH trails, it stays put just fine.

You do have to try them on though and figure out what works for you. There's no "pack that fits all women" out there.

#7 · (Edited)
Edit: { POST MOVED TO BOTTOM OF PAGE }

#8 ·
Thanks for your replies

dHarriet said:
i'm a DD and i'm on my second mule through the years. the trick is to move the chest strap up so that it is above the bewbs, and not across them. i have tried on the WS camelbak packs, and because of my wide shoulders, none of them actually fit me very well. i think the modifications on the WS packs is that they are built to accommodate narrower shoulders and shorter torsos. so if she's a taller gal, and her pack fits her everywhere else, then just move that chest strap up higher and save yourself some $$. :D
I actually ride with the chest strap almost all the way up for my own comfort (seems easier on the lower back)
She is only about 5'4", and does have narrow shoulders. I'm going to get her to take mine for a spin again, and if it doesn't work out, we'll hit the LBS to see how others measure up.

2WD said:
.....they don't hold any gear and have a smaller reservoir - I'd stick with the Mule.
I wasn't too worried about being able to pack much, because she only rides with me, and I have all my tools and whatnot in my pack. but who knows about the long run... you make a good point.

Does anyone have any experience with the Camelbak L.U.X.E? It looks like the womens version of the Mule.

#9 ·
-cynic- said:
Does anyone have any experience with the Camelbak L.U.X.E? It looks like the womens version of the Mule.
That's what I've been using for the last year - it replaced my Mule. As far as I can tell, they're identical - same water capacity, all my stuff fits in it. The straps are just shaped a little differently (curvier) and they have softer sueded padding which feels nicer, particularly when I'm riding in sleeveless shirts. And I have pretty wide shoulders, FWIW. It is a little narrower - but to me - I like that. It stays centered on my back and that's where it feels best. My husband wants the widest pack he can find all flattened out so it covers his entire back. For me, I'd rather have a smaller contact area because it makes me feel like I can move more freely and I don't sweat as much. But it's a personal preference thing.

#10 ·
I had the Dream for two years, and thought it was a little too small to carry anything (It doesn't even hold a mountain bike tube!) I just bought the LUXE in January and absolutely love it. It is pretty much the same size as the Mule, but the women's version. I am not big chested, so I don't know if it will solve that problem for her, but the strap does sit fairly high on my chest, so I don't think it would be a problem. I would definitely recommend that over the Dream.

#12 ·
I'm just barely 5"3' and use a regular Mule with the chest strap up high. I love my new Mule, but I am also a fan of the Dueter products, specifically the ones with the mesh frame that keeps the pack off your back. My Dueter is the only pack I use the waste strap for as it really does sit just right to move the weight to the hips.

Also, I can't tell you how many women get packs and never realize they can adjust the chest strap position, but I have made this adjustment for dozens in the last couple of year.

It must be that the chest strap comes from the factory in the lowest position (and most do not realize it moves) and for most women it needs to be in the top position. It's kind of like all spd pedals come from the factory with the tension set to the tightest and first time clipless uses cannot unclip nor know thay can loosen the tension :rolleyes:

#14 ·
As has been suggested, best bet is to have her try some on.

I prefer the Dakine packs: http://www.dakine.com/girls/sport-packs/girls-drafter/ They are a good fit for me, and are well organized for carrying tools, armor, etc... The ability to detach the hose from the bladder is a nice feature for being able to fill the bladder more easily.

I also have a Deuter pack that I use for commuting, which I also find very comfortable.

#16 ·
I've been in the market for a new pack. I currently have the camelbak rogue which I find to be extremely comfortable. I love the cargo capacity of my boyfriend's mule, but no matter how I adjust it the straps feel like they really dig into my shoulders/neck. I have yet to check out the luxe. However, I noticed that camelbak's women specific packs have really thick shoulder straps, any feedback on this? I was trying to stay away since I figured they'd make me feel really hot and trap sweat. I like the mesh like straps on the rogue I have now.

#17 ·
iaintdumb2 said:
I've been in the market for a new pack. I currently have the camelbak rogue which I find to be extremely comfortable. I love the cargo capacity of my boyfriend's mule, but no matter how I adjust it the straps feel like they really dig into my shoulders/neck. I have yet to check out the luxe. However, I noticed that camelbak's women specific packs have really thick shoulder straps, any feedback on this? I was trying to stay away since I figured they'd make me feel really hot and trap sweat. I like the mesh like straps on the rogue I have now.
I've owned both and find the straps on the Luxe to be way more comfortable than the straps on the Mule. They wick sweat nicely and don't chafe my skin when I'm just wearing a tank top with it. I've never noticed sweating more - though I guess when I ride I just figure I'm always going to sweat.

#19 ·
I went from a Mule to a Magic with no regrets. The straps are more comfortable and the pack stays centered on my back much better than the Mule - I'm fairly short and have narrow shoulders. There is less storage space, but I have plenty of room for a spare tube, multi tool, etc. The reservoir is only 72 oz, vs 100 for the Mule. Most of the time that's plenty, but when I need extra water I switch out the reservoir.

#20 ·
iaintdumb2 said:
......I have yet to check out the luxe. However, I noticed that camelbak's women specific packs have really thick shoulder straps, any feedback on this? I was trying to stay away since I figured they'd make me feel really hot and trap sweat. I like the mesh like straps on the rogue I have now.
More feedback on the L.U.X.E.-- yes, the straps are narrower yet thicker than mens' wide meshy straps. I used the Mule for a long time and thought it was good, but the L.U.X.E. blows it away for the following reasons:
1) The straps are specially treated (or something) not to retain perspiration. Yay!
2) The straps do not chafe when you're wearing a tank top.
3) The straps are curvy and stay exactly where they belong.
4) The pack body is narrower, fits better, and moves with you.

What I miss about the Mule is that stretchy external bungie thing that holds pads or a jacket. Bottom line-- if you're happy with your Rogue, there's really no reason to change.

#22 ·
mtb_mud_honey said:
As has been suggested, best bet is to have her try some on.

I prefer the Dakine packs: http://www.dakine.com/girls/sport-packs/girls-drafter/ They are a good fit for me, and are well organized for carrying tools, armor, etc... The ability to detach the hose from the bladder is a nice feature for being able to fill the bladder more easily.

I also have a Deuter pack that I use for commuting, which I also find very comfortable.
Another vote for Dakine. I went from the Camelback MULE to the Dakine nomad. It is waaay more comfy and can hold all my stuff with no problem- and it doesnt feel heavier. It feels lighter in fact. The way it is designed really distributes the weight of the pack well. Then again, Im no DD... more like a small C.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.