mtbr member

How many Ride alone?

Hi I am a women living in Tahoe. I know there are other mountain bike chicks around but I have a hard time fining other women to ride with. I feel like joining a club would be a good way to meet some other women to ride with.

My husband will go out with me sometimes be he is not into it. His sports are Surfing and snowboarding.

So I find myself going out alone or with my dog. It's cool I can go my own speed and not worry about anyone but myself. At the same time it would be fun to have someone to go with. Just wondering how many other females ride alone and how did you meet your riding buddy?

Anyone women in South Lake Tahoe want to go ride let me know.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I'm a man but I think my experiences apply here. Join a club and do some group rides. I always met other riders that I clicked with this way. It's possible you nay find a buddy here on MTBR but the majority of riders don't frequent it. I know here there is a large Women only ride every Wednesday and that this is becoming more common. The best way to meet people with the same interests is to join a club. I moved to my current location 2 years ago and met my riding buddies by just plain dumb luck on my first ride here. This is pretty unlikely and I was very fortunate.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

Moderator Moderator
    I too often ride alone or with the dog, but I have also met cool people at women's rides, trail crew, and bike events. The women's rides are often sponsored by a club or local bike shop. I join several local clubs just to support them, even if I don't do the meetings etc. If you're on Facebook, you will hear about club and shop events if you "like" their pages.

9 lives
    My husband introduced me to mountain biking and dh. He is my only riding partner although sometimes we organize interesting rides or hook up with groups or other riders. .. posted on local facebook group pages
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

Don't worry, be happy!
    I ride alone on occasion. I mostly ride with gals from our women's ride that I've connected with, or the hub. We have a weekly ride here that has been a great way to meet like minded gals.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I ride alone about 80% of the time.

I joined a women's mountain biking group and organize our race team, so I usually do a group ride with them once a week. Maybe once every couple of weeks I'll meet up with a friend and do a ride. Most of the women I ride with are ones I met through the group rides - it's a great way to get out there and meet people.

The rest of the time I'm on my own. I honestly really like to ride on my own - I can go my own speed, go where I want to go, meet my own training goals, stop and take pictures if I want. And I'm self-employed, so I fit in a lot of rides during the day when others are working, just how it works out.

I live in the mountains in Colorado so my husband worries about me a bit when I do long rides out of cell phone range. I carry a Spot tracker with me for peace of mind. Even out of cell range, he can track my coordinates, and there's a button to directly call for help in case of emergency:
    SPOT Gen3 Satellite GPS Messenger - REI.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Hi
    Come to Russia, here many-many peoples riding in every weekend in a groups from 2-3 to 30-50 and more peoples.. around town.
    Soft kiss, beauty

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    I almost always ride alone. I usually prefer it that way. I can go when, where, as fast/slow, and for as long as I want. There are no discussions at trail junctions. In fact, there is no discussion at all! I don't have a husband or a boyfriend or even someone who wants to be my boyfriend. The only time I really need a riding buddy is in bear country, in which case the slower the better. :-D

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I'm writing my dissertation at the moment, which allows me to ride anytime I like - I try to ride at least 4 times a week so 90% of the time I ride alone. I don't push myself to ride any big new features or ride any of the more remote forestry trails (even though they are closer to home and I don't have to drive to them). If I am lucky my schedule will synch up with a friend of mine that is self-employed and we will ride together. If I am alone I will ride at my own pace and stop to take photos or session obstacles often.

Most weekends I ride with the girls, or the boys, or the girls and boys!

We have a local facebook group where us girls who like dirt can organise rides throughout the week, and another FB group where us girls who like steep and scary dirt can organise rides and shuttles If you don't have a local womens FB riding group, I suggest you start one and get the word out - we had over 300 ladies join in the first two months!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Riding alone is great. Riding with someone or a group that is compatible is greater. Riding with people who are not compatible or put you down sucks. My advice - try clubs and group rides and you might luck into meeting people who are compatible. Don't limit yourself to female-oriented rides - that really limits options, and there are a lot of mixed groups (sometimes I'm the only female) that are great.

When I started mountain biking about 10 years ago, I only rode alone because I didn't know any other mountain bikers. I heard about a group ride and tried it. I've done the same Wednesday night group ride on and off since and have met a bunch of great people. I also joined a club and met a bunch of people through that. Over time, you figure out who you are compatible riding with. About 8 years ago, I met my husband on the side of the road (he was about to start a ride and I had just finished). It turns out that we have great riding compatibility, so I do most of my riding with him - either just with him or with a group.

It's worth a try. Not all group experiences are great, so if you don't click, maybe give it a second try in case the people are different, and if it still doesn't work, move on.

mtbr member
    I usually ride alone. As much as I like groups it is so hard to find time when groups are around. After years of race training it isn't all that hard to run loner either.
    '93 Giant Sedona ATX custom
    '93 Giant Sedona AtX aero-edition
    '73 Schwinn Suburban
    '95 Fuji Suncrest

mtbr member
    I love riding alone. It gives me time to decompress and just really feel the trail and the environment I'm in.

I was riding alone about 75% of the time, but now that I moved and my boyfriend is currently in Alaska, that has become 100% of the time. I don't mind riding with other people, but I just haven't met any riding partners yet- plus my work schedule kind of limits my riding time, particularly during the week. I'm not a fan of big groups- more time stopping, less time riding and exponentially more mechanical issues!

Planning a long backcountry loop tomorrow... bringing the SPOT just in case!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    When it comes to mountain biking I ride alone 99% of the time. There is only one local trail system I will not ride alone due to the remoteness of it. Otherwise, I prefer to be on my own.... own pace, own speed, own trail decisions, and no unnecessary conversations or stopping. I've had an extremely hard time finding people that meshes well with my mountain biking pace and preferences so alone just works out. Plus there's no one else around to see my fumbles, ha!

Road riding I do ride with my boyfriend often, but still prefer alone riding when I have intervals or a certain goal to achieve.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I love riding alone. The husband does not like it when I ride alone. But he's not able to go with me most of the time.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I also ride alone most of the time...have ridden with large groups (so much planning and trail impact) and small groups of riding buddies (hard to schedule and sometimes hard to match skill levels consistently).

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I used to prefer riding with groups, but I moved to a new state a couple years ago, and it's been hard to find people who ride the same way I do. I love and have become fairly adept at riding techy terrain, but I'm a slow rider. So, I get dropped on the intermediate group rides on the more technical terrain, but I'm bored on the beginner group rides on the mellower terrain that the local club leads. I've been riding with a couple other women once a week who are also in the slow, but techy category I'm in, and that's been great. Otherwise, I find it much more enjoyable to ride alone. I can go at my own pace, stop and take photos, and not have to worry about trying to keep up with others.

mtbr member
    I go alone most of the time. I've recently decided i just like it better. I just like to go at my own pace, decide if I do or don't want to do a technical feature and I don't feel bad about it either way (and I KNOW that no one really cares in a group ride and it's MY issue not theirs, but it's still there, I get self-conscious in groups). I still like to go with my husband occasionally (he's way better than me) and even a local women's club but I think what I like about that is going out after and having someone to talk to while I'm in my post-ride high. The other day I went "with" my husband, but really he rode from our house, I drove, he passed me on the way up, waited for me at the top, and then waited at the bottom and we went to lunch. It was actually really enjoyable that way even though we didn't ride at all. And the trails I ride are very popular so I don't really worry about being eaten by bears, getting stranded, or attacked or anything.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I personally like riding alone. Its quicker dont have to wait on anyone to get there. You dont have someone constantly asking are you alright just because your slow. I have been riding mountain bikes, dirt bikes, motorcycles alone for years. I know when to push and what to do in case. As long as I dont hit my head I can get out of just about anywhere.

mtbr member
    I don't mind riding alone I just felt like the only one that did it. It would be nice to have one person to share stuff with on a ride. I hope my daughter will want to go with me when she gets older. I took my dog out on a 21 mile ride in the mountains. It was a good ride I was glad I was by myself because I can do what I want .

Nice to see others like to go ride alone.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I ride alone and with small groups. Most of my riding buddies I have met through meet-up. If there's not a meetup that works for you, start ons! As to solo safety, if you don't already have a Road ID, I strongly recommend you get one.

mtbr dismember

Tahoe Mountain Biking Meetup

Slothful dirt hippie
    I ride alone most of the time, partly because I'm a wife/mom who works full time and I really don't have the freedom to juggle w/ anyone else's schedule. And as has been stated here, it's just nice to roll your own adventure.

As far as ride partners go... I would LOVE to find some women who were down with the kind of riding I love to do when I've got that rare entire day clear, but as it turns out back country slogfests aren't popular with the ladies. Who knew?

But on the up side, through various organized rides in the area + the internet (hey, MTBR!) I've gradually built a core group of INCREDIBLE guys who I'll ride with anywhere and any time I think I'm in good enough shape for it, and we count them as cherished friends well beyond the bikes.

Long trails have a way of flattening out differences anyway. A person with a good attitude, a full tool kit, route finding skills, and a good head on their shoulders for avoiding/dealing with problems way out in the woods is an asset regardless of gender. In fact in our circles I'm often tapped as 'The Recon Muppet' (eg. the person that tags along on a new/exploratory route) as I have the GPS/Google Earth/map reading thing down pretty well as well as a stupidly full pack of tools and schtuff.
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."