mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Hmmm, accidentally bought a "girl" helmet

Was at REI and tried on a Giro Atmos. Fit perfect. Inventory was low so my large size was not part of the $85 Atmos sale. Rush home and eBay search "large Atmos" and, bingo, there was a dark colored new in box Atmos for sale. Looked at one pic, never mind the other six pics. I bid and won which shocked me because most new Atmos helmets go over $100 easily.

After paying I look at the title and go 'uh oh, did I just buy a girl helmet": Giro Atmos black/rhone FLOWERS. I didn't see any flowers in that one pic......but the other pics show some sort of pattern.

The helmet arrived in a big pink box and the word "women's" is in small cursive.
    In direct sunlight you can see the feminine pattern. Out of direct bright sun it looks like a great looking dark helmet: Universal Cycles -- Giro Atmos Helmet 2012 - Black/Rhone Flowers

Anyone own this 'girl' helmet? The price is right, the fit is right. Has anyone ever seen a guy with a rhone flower lid?

mtbr member
    Just get a nice wicker basket for your handlebars and some tassles and you'll be good to go!

mtbr member
    That's a good-looking helmet. I wouldn't have known there was a "flowers" pattern on it if you hadn't told me. Just looks like a subtle geometric/abstract pattern unless you study it.

If it fits you, you have several options:
    1- keep it and wear it. I doubt anyone is going to notice or care about the pattern. 'Cept you, I guess.
    2- sell it on Craigslist and buy yourself another helmet.
    3- sell it to a female friend who bikes and buy yourself another helmet.
    4- give it to a female friend who bikes as an Xmas gift and buy yourself another helmet (I could use a new helmet)

I wear a Giro helmet with a "camo" pattern in blue.
    Giro Xen Helmet | Backcountry.com
    No one ever critiqued me for wearing a guy's helmet.
    I drank the 29er koolaid- turns out it was POWERade

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I'd rock it!

Falls-a-Lot
    *shrugs* All 3 of my bikes are "men's" and my helmet is a blue and white Lazer. I've yet to sprout a pecker.
    '11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '11 Redline Conquest Apex
    '13 Salsa El Mariachi 3
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3

mtbr member
    I think it was just yesterday that I asked my husband if he felt manly enough to use the pink towel.

Rides with Scissors
    I used to ride wearing a purple helmet that had silver 'dancing monkeys' on it. At least they kind of looked like monkeys... I was needing a new helmet ASAP and the large children's helmet fit my head better than any of the adult helmets the shop had in stock.
    Some days you're the dog, some days you're the hydrant.

Rogue Exterminator
    Well it is 2012 and you shouldn't feel ashamed to come out of the closet.

mtbr member
    On a somewhat related note, I scored a super-duper deal earlier this year on an Axiom pannier/bag for a new commuter that I planned to get later in the year. It's black with white floral patterns. I really didn't care. Just last week I got a comment from a female coworker who said she loved my bag. Then she told another guy coworker about it when he passed by and he started laughing about it (not in a malicious way but after a while it started to annoy me). To be honest I really didn't care what he thought of it. I also rock a woman's Pearl Izumi hi-vis windbreaker. It's really hard to tell if it's women-specific. I'm not big and am pretty thin, so it fits me fine. Rock what you got.

Serenity now!
    Be confident in your manliness and rock the flowered helmet. Several of the menz on my weekly group ride wear pink on a regular basis (one even has a pink boa).
    Duchess of Dab

pin it
    If you're not crazy about flower decals, you could cover your helmet with beer stickers
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

Fat-tired Roadie
    I have a powder blue snowboard helmet with a skull pattern that looks like it was drawn in white pencil or crayon. Very Avril Lavigne.

Oh well. It works. I feel less silly about it than when I'm decked out in stuff that tries to look macho, actually.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Dirty South Underdog
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoomy29er View Post
    *shrugs* All 3 of my bikes are "men's" and my helmet is a blue and white Lazer. I've yet to sprout a pecker.
    repp'd!
    Brickhouse Blog (most known unknown)

Just Riding Along- best internet radio show on Mountain Bike Radio

2WD
    Rides like a girl
    Wear it!!!

mtbr member
    and I "accidentally" put on my girlfriend's underwear this morning..

mtbr member
    If it prevents chaffing, then no one will think you're a freak! :P

mtbr member
    It's up to you. Sell it, give it away to a girl who rides for Christmas and get another helmet. I hate mine because it's red/white and makes me look I belong in a Super Mario game..red/white mushroom guy. Once I pointed it out to hubby he burst out laughing and agreed.