mtbr member
    Aug 2009

High-end Women's Mtn Bike Shoes -- Advice?

Hi Ladies ....

I'd be interested in hearing what everyone is using for high-end xc mountain biking shoes. I'm starting my fourth season with my Specialized BG Pro shoes (or whatever they called them in 2009 when I bought them) and they are pretty much done. I"ve loved them ... but am finding difficulty sourcing them in Canada.

Decided it is time to consider other options. I'm a pretty advanced rider focusing primarily on distance. Am currently training for the 4-day TransRockies stage race in BC this summer. I need a shoe that is going to give me great performance on the bike but also be able to handle hike a bike in a wide range of conditions.

Weigh in ... what are you wearing? Thanks for your insights!

mtbr member
    I wear men's sidi dragons - I've got wide feet and my women's road shoes, also Sidi, feel a bit narrow. The shoes fit well and have been pretty durable. My only complaint with Sidi is that their inserts suck- I actually pulled the insoles out of my old shoes to use on both my road and mountain bike shoes. They were almost unridable until I did that!

Bored Carp
    Generally speaking, you won't find the features of a high end unisex shoe in a WS format. There isn't enough purchasing volume of women's product at that level to justify the production of a shoe with a carbon sole, heat moldable fit and advanced retention system for a shoe company, in most cases.

I have had good luck with Shimano's top end men's shoe - the M315. My previous tests with the power meter show that the carbon sole is significant. However, hiking in carbon sucks.
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

Dirty South Underdog
    I also don't wear women specific shoes. I like the Mavic Fury. The carbon sole does suck a little to hike in (I ride SS, too, so that happens pretty regularly), but I think it's worth it. The yellow color adds 5 watts to my FTP, too.
    Brickhouse Blog (most known unknown)

Just Riding Along- best internet radio show on Mountain Bike Radio