Team Chilidog!

Good job! Hey Ladies - Remember your goals at the beginning of the season..

This is ONLY for the ladies. Remember, this is the Women's Lounge.

Remember there were things you wanted to work on at the beginning of the season? How did you do?

A couple of things that came up are ledgy trails (sometimes only in one direction), cornering, technical bits, etc.

My goals:
    - Improve riding on ledges that fall to the left. I can climb them at my "regular" (read: slow) speed and I can descend them (sometimes, still walking really scary ones) but not as fast as I descend others. Still working on riding technical and steeps more comfortably
    - Was able to ride more steeps than I could in the past but still have a ways to go, including riding them faster and more comfortably.

Bonus:
    - Rode my first DH dual-crown bike (rental) at Northstar.

Dudette
    Yes! I was lucky enough to participate in an intermediate clinic taught by Kathi Krause this summer. One of the things we worked on was conquering switchbacks. She gave the same advice that I have read so many times, but actually seeing it demonstrated to you and going through the drills and finally putting it to the test helped a lot. I improved on unweighting my front wheel to get over logs and logovers and have now ridden several I wouldn't even attempt. My confidence level has increased tremendously and I feel like I'm definitely having a "breakthrough" year!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I got my bike in May, so I've only been riding about 3 months now (obviously, I don't count childhood! I had a 14 year lay off in between there anyway, haha). I've accomplished more than I ever thought I would! I entered 3 races and finished all of them quite well. I'm clipless 99% of the time. Every time I ride I feel fitter, stronger, and faster. I didn't really have any goals, stuff is just coming along as it comes along. I think next summer I'll be a lot harder on myself for achieving stuff, which I hope doesn't take the fun away... and I'm in a huge debate about whether I need to move up a class for racing now.

see me rollin, they hatin
    not quite remembering what i wrote before, but seems like i have similar hangups every year. a big one is, trusting my traction. i always take corners slower than anyone else. its strange because, there are people who have been riding a similar timeframe as me, and they pass me on the smooth-yet-tight cornering trails, and then i catch and pass them on the technical stuff.
    its all because i have this fear of sliding out. obviously its worse when wet, but even on dry stuff, i just really slow down on corners, and i have big tires!

i'm noticing that i HAVE been cornering and just riding a bit faster in general. i'm also meeting new people and just having fun, because they dont judge. my anxiety about many things is a big "wall" sometimes, but i'm getting better at working around it.
    fap

Hooked
    Funny you should ask this, as I was just thinking about the original thread this weekend. One of the things I said I wanted to work on was not always mounting, dismounting from the left side.

This weekend I was riding, got stopped in a rocky section, put down my left foot. Which was on the drop off side. Hit air under my foot, and somersaulted off my bike. Fortunately not too steep of a drop off, but I did end up on my back, perpendicular to the trail with my feet considerably higher than my head. It was scary. Not to mention awkward and difficult to get up from.

Guess I still have some work to do.

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    not quite remembering what i wrote before, but seems like i have similar hangups every year. a big one is, trusting my traction. i always take corners slower than anyone else. its strange because, there are people who have been riding a similar timeframe as me, and they pass me on the smooth-yet-tight cornering trails, and then i catch and pass them on the technical stuff.
    its all because i have this fear of sliding out. obviously its worse when wet, but even on dry stuff, i just really slow down on corners, and i have big tires!

i'm noticing that i HAVE been cornering and just riding a bit faster in general. i'm also meeting new people and just having fun, because they dont judge. my anxiety about many things is a big "wall" sometimes, but i'm getting better at working around it.
    Before today's ride, I read your post and thought about what my issues are: very similar to yours, especially with cornering.

So on today's ride I worked on my cornering.. leaning the bike, not the rider. When you do that, it's amazing how much more your traction holds.

The times I didn't corner like that were slower, but when you can lean the bike, it's amazing what it can do. I'm definitely not riding at full speed either, because I keep hitting these same anxiety walls.

Next week, I start working on my anxiety separately. There are times I just flat out freeze, particularly when the trail falls to the left and there are dropoffs over a log or root or rock at a certain height that just cause me to freeze. Can't quite figure it out, because my bike sure can take it.

pin it
    My goal this season was to progress in my riding skills and ride more black diamond.(advance level) I've been doing well on much steeper sections and I'm getting faster flow on berms since the start of the season

The 2 techniques I'm currently working on:
    1) Drops. Getting way back over the saddle and landing solidly... So far so good
    2) Carving at the bottom of steep descents. So speed control helps
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

see me rollin, they hatin
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
    Before today's ride, I read your post and thought about what my issues are: very similar to yours, especially with cornering.

So on today's ride I worked on my cornering.. leaning the bike, not the rider. When you do that, it's amazing how much more your traction holds.

The times I didn't corner like that were slower, but when you can lean the bike, it's amazing what it can do. I'm definitely not riding at full speed either, because I keep hitting these same anxiety walls.

Next week, I start working on my anxiety separately. There are times I just flat out freeze, particularly when the trail falls to the left and there are dropoffs over a log or root or rock at a certain height that just cause me to freeze. Can't quite figure it out, because my bike sure can take it.
    i freeze up on certain stone walls, ramps or bridges that have some height to them. It would be awesome to be able to clear them, without stalling in the middle. i know i can do it too, and sometimes i DO do it fine. But nothing worse than pushing it hard, only to have your crank or BB smack the apex of a feature, and completely screw you up, or make you crash, etc. Those moments seem to spoil my future efforts. I've come to realize that i enjoy riding so much, that i can die happy even if i dont do some of the sketchier stuff that the boys do in my group. I can typically ride 90%+ of a so called intermediate trail, and thats fine by me
    fap

mtbr member

My goals - 2 outta 3 baby

Hi! My name is Anka and I live in Squamish, BC. The riding up here is super wet with lots of roots. I had a few goals at the beginning of the summer:

1. Go faster – especially over those roots so I don’t even notice them!

2. Easy on the brakes. I love to ride my brakes even when I don’t need them. No need to be squeezing those things the entire way down. Ha!

3. Huck it! I really want to huck the GLC drop in Whistler. I think I am almost there. I just need more practice off a few lower stunts and build up to it – ALMOST!!!

I checked off #2 for sure, #3 almost and #1 – well – I still hate wet roots. Maybe I should move to a place that is dry? Then maybe my goal will be to ride the loose dry dirt! I have not done that tons No such thing out here. lol

Serenity now!
    I had to go back and find my goals in that thread. I have progressed so far this season!

1. Group rides: I think y'all already know I started a women's Monday night ride and we have 6-12 women show up every week. It has been inspiring to get to know this group of ladies. We are all novices at mountain biking, and it is so fun to watch each other progress, give encouragement, etc. I also go on a co-ed ride every week, which pushes me to ride faster and more technical stuff. I'm so glad I screwed up the courage to do these things.

2. Rocky downhills- no problem. I can fly now compared to the beginning of this season. I haven't done the downhill clinic, though it's on my bucket list.

3. Better endurance and speed- coming along. I've lost #15, which helps.

Thanks for starting this thread- it inspires me to keep working when I see just how much I have actually improved. ( of course I started at zero, so there is plenty of room for growth).