mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Help please, bike for my husband?

So I have recently decided to get a mountain bike, and I would love for the husband to come out and enjoy this sport with me. I want to make sure he enjoys it, but at the same time he doesn't totally spank me out on the trail, which of course he is SURE he will do...

He's about 5'10", 32" inseam, 150lbs. Pretty much thinks he's a extreme sports guy. Likes to think he's good at everything Did some Bay Area mountain biking 20 years ago. Ex-skateboarder, motocross, rides street bikes, but starting to get a bit soft in his 40s..

I was thinking maybe a vintage steel frame hardtail with no front suspension? Maybe a single speed? What do you think?

Don't worry, be happy!
    nm nm nm
    Last edited by formica; 10-31-2013 at 10:36 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    He's a guy so you will want to buy something top spec or he'll just do it himself. Here's the trick, take the frame to a fabricator and have them fill it with sand. He'll be on what he thinks is some super ultra light bike that for all he can figure out, the pros ride, but that weighs 40lbs.

I'd also recommend putting one of those solid foam tubeless systems inside the tires on his bike.