mtbr member

Help finding clothes for bigger (or normal) women

Hello all, my first post in here.
    I have a friend who is getting into biking with me. So far she has ridden in a regular t-shirt, some long basketball type shorts, etc. She was looking at some of my cataloges and pointing out jerseys and shorts and what not, but none seemed to go big enough. For example, one listed a women's xl as being a 34. Now, I am a 34, and I wear a men's medium or large, so something is up here.

She is about 5-9, a size 18-20 in jeans and dresses if that helps. She doesn't know I am posting this here, it would embarrass her to no end, so I have to make this look like I found some stuff. Any help on where she might find stuff? I mentioned getting men's shorts, but she wants things that might be more female flattering, pink and flowers and what not.

BTW--baggies on the shorts and loose fitting jerseys.
    "Kurt is up in heaven now."

RIP Vonnegut

L1MEY
    Try www.performancebike.com for starters. I know that Performance make their own branded stuff 'normal' sized for guys... my hubby has to buy 2XL or 3XL (if he can get it) in other brands, but Performance XL fit him well, and that's the size he usually buys for regular clothes. I think Performance have sized their bike clothes to fit the same sizes regular clothes rather than you having to buy a size larger (I always buy a M in bike clothes where I would buy a S in street clothes).

Having said that, I'm not so sure she's going to find baggy bike shorts that will fit without buying men's, but since most bike shorts are dark colours anyway, it doesn't really matter. Personally I wear men's baggies anyway... I much prefer the longer leg length and the fact that they tend to fit better than the women's.

Most bike jerseys with flowers and stuff on seem to be the traditional fitted lycra style rather than loose fitting. If your friend wants something more flattering but still loose fitting, try regular (not cycling specific) moisure wicking jerseys in colours she likes. I'd imagine there would be plenty of stuff that will look great on her at your local sporting goods shop, though they tend to be a solid colour rather than a crayola explosion like cycling jerseys

- Jen.

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by 24601
    Hello all, my first post in here.
    I have a friend who is getting into biking with me. So far she has ridden in a regular t-shirt, some long basketball type shorts, etc. She was looking at some of my cataloges and pointing out jerseys and shorts and what not, but none seemed to go big enough. For example, one listed a women's xl as being a 34. Now, I am a 34, and I wear a men's medium or large, so something is up here.

She is about 5-9, a size 18-20 in jeans and dresses if that helps. She doesn't know I am posting this here, it would embarrass her to no end, so I have to make this look like I found some stuff. Any help on where she might find stuff? I mentioned getting men's shorts, but she wants things that might be more female flattering, pink and flowers and what not.

BTW--baggies on the shorts and loose fitting jerseys.
    maybe try Terry Cycling? i'm not well versed on bike clothes at that end of the spectrum but Terry seems to have a pretty wide range of stuff and lots of girly-type stuff.

rt
    "where are you not going so fast?" (question asked to cyclist on a trainer)

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I second the Terry nomination. You could also check you Team estrogen which is all women stuff. www.teamestrogen.com

Sarah

mtbr member
    For example, one listed a women's xl as being a 34. Now, I am a 34, and I wear a men's medium or large, so something is up here.
    I hear ya. I'm a size 8. And I wear a 34 when I wear men's riding shorts - and somehow on Oakley's sizing - that's an XL, and the biggest size they make for women. Ridiculous.

Hind had some pretty realistically sized stuff - I think their XL is like a 14-16, which is more in line with normal women's clothing. And like everyone else said - Terry has a good range of sizes. And wearing men's baggies isn't a bad idea either. Most women's baggies tend (IMO) to be designed for non-curvy women anyway... (my Oakleys are almost tight in the hips but too big in the waist, and the men's model doesn't seem to fit much different). It's mostly a color and length difference from what I can tell...

Go "Beyond the Deep"

Cool-blue Rhythm Big is Beautiful!

Boy, here's a subject I know something about. I'm just a tiny bit taller and bigger around than she is. I used to be more uptight about my size than I am now. I wear non-baggie shorts because the baggy bits get caught on the saddle when I lift on and off of it--plus they're hot. I'm fat, I'm wearing lycra, get over it. I am bummed that I can't find pink and flowers. They're high on my list of wants. Very hard to find in my size.

LL Bean has a pink with flowers short sleeve bicycle jersey in XL that I can fit in (barely)--she'd have no trouble.
    LL Bean has a big selection of coolmax plain shirts of all sleeve lengths. The biggest bummer for me is that when you get into plus sizes they actually make the shoulders *narrower*! NOOOOOOOOO!!! Broader shoulders, less poochy middle, por favor! But they still have advantages.
    REI has a general purpose jersey in a performance fabric that I fit in (barely) in XL. I got pink. They also have blue, green, and buff (could be too late in the season, but REI is always good to check).
    Occasionally I buy a Performance men's jersey. Unfortunately they seem to be designed to fit my male friend who is 6'4" and 150 lbs. I have a 2XL men's long sleeve which I hate. I have two 2XL men's SS that's are OK, but a little long. I have one XL men's sleeveless that is almost a little baggy.
    I ordered a women's XXL jersey from:
    http://suncyclecenter.com/site/intro.cfm
    They were out of stock and told me they'd get the jersey in last week, but I haven't heard back from them yet.

Terry has a few things for large sizes, but they're VERY expensive. And, they cut the patterns and colors down for the large sizes. Booo Hisssss.

I ordered several men's jerseys online from Voler. It turns out that if they're too baggy, that make me look a LOT worse. She might consider that slightly tight isn't as bad as she thinks.

Shorts are tough. I may be as big as a large man, but I'm still shaped like a woman. Most men's shorts ride too low on my hips and don't make it up to my waist. I have a men's Pearl Izumi pair of shorts that are 2XL and are OK, if a little tight. I have a pair of Nashbar 2XL shorts that are pretty good. I have a pair of Performance 2XL shorts that are just too tight in the waist. I have 3 pair of Cannondale bib shorts in 2XL that are great, but hot in summer. I bought 2 pair of REI 2XL road shorts. At first I liked 'em, but now I think the pad wads up around the saddle.

I got two pairs of big women's shorts from Mt Borah. One was a padded liner short. It's got a super flimsey pad which seems hardly worth the effort. The baggies I got from them had a hole develop along a seam after just a very few wearings.
    Last edited by Squirrel Girl; 08-10-2005 at 05:39 PM. Reason: more detail

Don't worry, be happy!
    Quote Originally Posted by sarahk
    I second the Terry nomination. You could also check you Team estrogen which is all women stuff. www.teamestrogen.com

Sarah
    TE is in the process of developing a line for plus size cycling females, look for it next year.