mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Help with bike shorts

My fiance and I are getting into Mountain biking and she has asked me to help her find some bike shorts. I have picked up several pairs for myself....but haven't the foggiest of ideas on how to shop for a womans bike short or where to look for them.

She is about 5'4" but really tries to convince herself she is 5'5", and usually is between a size small and size medium with most things. Are there any suggestions for an ok pair of starter shorts that don't break the bank? I know if she found out I spent over $50 on a pair of shorts she would have me by my shorts...so something reasonable to start her out with to see if she likes them.

I am thinking a combo or actual mountain short, but if you ladies advise me it's better to get a liner or tight fit and loose shorts over that I will go down that route. So really any advice would be greatly greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!
    2012 Trek 4900
    2011 Trek 2.1
    1993 Giant Rincon

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I am not a fan of combo shorts. I much prefer layering, so you can use the outer shorts a couple of times before washing. Here's my thoughts on shorts: Mrs. North 60 Review

My biggest piece of advice is thick waist bands.

Don't worry, be happy!
    I second get separate layers. What I've found is that the liner shorts don't always match up size wize. in that outer short fits perfect, inner short is for toothpick person. Sometimes I just wear regular lycra shorts, other times I'll throw baggies on top of them.

The quality of the chamois is really important. She should really try things on as shorts sizes are really wonky especially getting a good fit aroun the thigh with stretch shorts.. And this is maybe unneeded, but new riders may need to know : she goes commando - much less to bunch, chafe etc.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by formica View Post
    And this is maybe unneeded, but new riders may need to know : she goes commando - much less to bunch, chafe etc.
    I have told her this....she is REALLY resistive to the idea. That's how I ride...I am hoping I can convince her that's the best plan.
    2012 Trek 4900
    2011 Trek 2.1
    1993 Giant Rincon

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Ditto to what has been said. Layering with a liner and go commando. Bunching and chafe is no fun. I wear sugoi liners.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I agree with the combo shorts comments with one exception...I have the Pearl Izumi women's launch shorts and I love them. I wouldn't want to wear these on a 12+ mile ride, but as far as combo shorts go these might be a good fit for her. It's not my only pair of bike shorts, but my only combo pair of shorts.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I purchased the Pearl Izumi Quest shorts and I think they can be found for about $40 bucks. Once I started wearing these it changed everything. Of course you go commando underneath and use something like Hoo Hah Ride Glide, it's the perfect combination. These shorts are a big longer so she might feel more comfortable in them.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by csledd281 View Post
    I purchased the Pearl Izumi Quest shorts and I think they can be found for about $40 bucks. Once I started wearing these it changed everything. Of course you go commando underneath and use something like Hoo Hah Ride Glide, it's the perfect combination. These shorts are a big longer so she might feel more comfortable in them.
    Cool you like the Quest short, I was looking at those but didn't know anyone who had a pair. I may need to grab a pair.

Have you seen the Specialized Women's trail short? They look like they might be cool, a little pricey, but cool. It's just so hard to tell by looking at a picture. They also make this new Shasta short which looks interesting and a little closer to my price range, but I haven't seen any reviews yet.

mtbr member
    I don't know if you are still looking or if you have already made your decision, but I'll leave my 2 cents for what it's worth.
    I have the Pearl Izumi sugar knickers. The sugar shorts are just the same, but I feel more comfortable in the knickers. I really like the chamois, but as mentioned in previous posts, there are so many different options and everyone is built differently, bike seats are different, etc. However, if she is not really up for that, don't spend a lot (which it sounds like you are not planning on doing). Then after a couple of rides, she will know if the ones she has really work, or if it would be beneficial in the future to try on some different styles that work better or are a little more comfortable.
    2011 Specialized Ariel Sport
    Hybrid with 29ers

Roadie surrounded by MTB
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by RamEmNoodle29 View Post
    I agree with the combo shorts comments with one exception...I have the Pearl Izumi women's launch shorts and I love them. I wouldn't want to wear these on a 12+ mile ride, but as far as combo shorts go these might be a good fit for her. It's not my only pair of bike shorts, but my only combo pair of shorts.
    I also have the Pearl Izumi Launch shorts and I really like them. I even use them as commuter shorts as they look really nice and aren't too bulky.