mtbr member
    May 2012

heart rate monitors

ISO of a heart rate monitor? One that will integrate with my iphone, I don't want to wear a watch. Are there women's specific ones? The strap on my SO's is really thick, doesn't look comfy for the girls/sports bra. Needs to track specifics, not just HR & calories, but I think that comes from the app that I download.

Weekend Warrior
    A Bluetooth Smart heart rate monitor is what you need. If you want to track some other data, say cadence/speed, you'll need a bluetooth smart cadence/speed sensor set. But most apps will take gps data, use your heart rate to calculate more precise calorie burn and for heart rate zone training, and do elevation correction once you upload your data to the web.

My wife usually tucks the sensor below sports bra, and she says it's comfortable and it captures data just fine.
    Realtor/Photographer and weekend warrior.
    My Endomondo
    My Cycling Deals Blog

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    All I've ever used are the newer Garmin straps, which are ANT+, not bluetooth. I've never had an issue with them being too bulky and interfering with my sports bra, for what they're worth. They have cloth straps, which are definitely a lot more comfortable than some of the hard plastic ones you can find, so definitely see if you can find one that is cloth!

If you really want good data (especially GPS) I'd look into a specific device vs. using a phone app, for my two cents.

mtbr member
    If you're planning to use the phone for the GPS capabilities, just know that that can drain smart phone batteries very quickly. Even if you don't want to wear a watch, you could always buy a setup with the watch-based GPS and then attach it to your pack instead of your wrist.