Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Have any ladies here tried the 2008 Talas 36 RC2 fork? 2-Step Lyrik?

1K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Jerk_Chicken 
#1 · (Edited)
It may be creeping towards new fork time for the SO's Turner 6-Pack. She's 135#, 5'6", size small frame built to about 30# currently. A very strong and fit rider, excellent technical skills but not a jumper/hucker at all. She rides the rough stuff but only as long as she can keep both wheels mostly on the ground. Small bump compliance is good, bottoming protection not a super high priority. We had an 05 Zoke Z1 FR1 mounted up first that she liked a lot (pulled one of the springs, supple, but hard to get all the travel), and has more recently ridden the bike with a Maverick DUC32 on (not very small bump compliant, but used all the travel). Travel adjust would be very desirable. The 3-position switch of the Talas 36 (100-130-160) seem about perfect. The Lyrik 2-Step seems like a possibility too. I would like to stick to those two models. I demoed the Zoke 55 ATA and that could work too, but the forks that require a lot of knob twisting to get the travel changed is something I would like to avoid. I should add that I have demoed the pre-08 Talas 36 forks and have not found them to be very pleasant, so I would respectfully request info specific to the 2008 model.

TIA

#2 ·
I've got a Fox 36 Van, but that's not particularly similar...

The travel adjust sounds sweet though. I have moments where I really wish I had it... and then half the time the guys in my group who do end up at the end of a gnarly descent and in mid-complaint about how their bike felt crappy all day realize it was locked down the whole time. Which is exactly what I did when I had a fork with travel reduction. Give me too many options and I just end up making things worse.

Anyway, sorry - I haven't tried either. But good luck shopping!

#3 ·
Thanks. I've ridden quite a few 36 Vans and they generally felt really really nice. The same model year Talas 36s generally felt like poo though. They sport the same dampers, so the problem must have been in the Talas air spring side. The 08s are supposed to be greatly improved, but a lot of the folks reporting this are heavier and ride more aggessively, so their experiences don't translate perfectly. I would just hate to drop that kind of coin and end up with something mediocre for the rider. The 55 ATA would be the right tool for the job, I suspect, but the travel adjust is slooooow.

#8 ·
Well, if you didn't like the Talas, at least you could probably have it PUSH'd to spec (need to check if they do the 36 model). :rolleyes: I have an '03 Talas, notorious for being the first air fork not really adjustable for light riders (I'm 125#). My requirements for a fork are very similar to your SO's. I had mine PUSH'd, and it's much better, but I still run the air pressure off the low end of the chart. Unfortunately, I haven't heard of any other fork of similar travel since that has inspired me to shell out $$ to get one. If you find something she likes, I'd be interested to hear about it. I'm in the market for 130mm to 140mm for the my new baby.

Kathy

#10 ·
Tsk, tsk........

.....now, now T, be careful swapping parts on and of B's bike or you'll get a thread started on you in here and they'll rag your arse off :D. Come on seriously it's pretty much winter up there, no fish eggs to count so stop being lazy and change the bushings in the Z1. :p

tscheezy said:
You want Barny smiling shots? I got Barny smiling shots.

Push doesn't do the 36.

Right now it's hard to argue with keeping her Z1 FR1 on the 7-Pack. It just needs new bushings badly (I sorta wore them out :p).

#11 ·
tscheezy said:
You want Barny smiling shots? I got Barny smiling shots.

Push doesn't do the 36.

Right now it's hard to argue with keeping her Z1 FR1 on the 7-Pack. It just needs new bushings badly (I sorta wore them out :p).
Maybe we could do homer musical chairs, with me selling the Z1 light to her (should I choose) and Pc seling his 66SL to me :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.