Thread: Harlot shorts

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Harlot shorts

Has anyone tried the shorts made by harlot? http://harlotwear.com/shorts&pants.htm

If so what did you think? Thanks

brg
    mtbr member

I have a pair of their knickers and shorts

I really like them - they are super cute.

The pad is minimal - so I usually wear them when I'm riding the SingleSpeed and standing up a lot. I haven't tried them for a longer, climbing ride where i'm sitting quite a bit.

I think the sizing is a tad big tho...I usually wear an extra small (4'10" ~105lbs) and their extra small knickers tend to slide down my hips - not enough to be a problem - but enough to notice. I do wish the sizing was a bit more snug.

With that said - the shorts and knickers do get used quite often.

hope that helps!

mtbr member
    Good to know. I have a harlot jersey, but have been hesitant to buy some of their shorts without being able to try them on. I think I'd like a bit more of a pad, though. I wish more companies would follow their lead and make clothes that are more up to date and stylie. I mostly ride cross-country type terrain, but you won't catch me in spandex. I'm also long torso'd, so jerseys with elastic at the bottom are completely useless to me. I really dig most of Harlot's styling...if only I could find it in shops around me.

life is a barrel o'fun
    oooooh love 'em!!

I also prefer baggies to lycra. Especially love anything that could go from bike to street easily.

"Makes even middle-aged women feel 19 again," also a selling point!
    "We sat outside the dentist, tooting a horn on the guy's bike."-overheard in the Underground

pronounced may-duh
    Hey, whats up with all the beaver references? I didn't know that was a socially acceptable term? Obviously Harlot thinks it's OK cause they have a whole line of clothes with a beaver logo and there chamois padding is called the beaver comfort zone or BCZ.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maida7
    Hey, whats up with all the beaver references? I didn't know that was a socially acceptable term? Obviously Harlot thinks it's OK cause they have a whole line of clothes with a beaver logo and there chamois padding is called the beaver comfort zone or BCZ.

Funny, that's part of the reason why I like Harlot's line. They aren't afraid to push the sport a little. It seems that there has been no progression in women's mountain bike clothing and it could really use it....kinda like women's snowboard clothing. It's defnintely got more of a street feel, but is also fully functional. I wish we were seeing more of this in women's mtb clothes.

Bored Carp
    Yeah, this is a smart direction. I have been trying to get guy-owned companies to adopt a similar stance in their marketing for ages, but they are always uncomfortable with it.

I am so getting a beaver hoodie.

utsnowgirl - I just moved to SLC, am looking for new chicas to ride with - PM me if interested.

Cheers,
    Chuky
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I bought a pair of the Carmen shorts not too long ago. I love them! They're fitted enough not to snag the saddle, but also very flattering. They're also low-rise, but not obscenely so.

As for the padding, they've been great so far on 10-15 mile xc rides. I haven't tried them out on anything longer or with a lot of climbing, though, either.

mtbr member
    I have a question: do these shorts fit women with more of an 'apple' shape, or more of a 'pear' shape? My girlfriend wants a good pair of biking shorts and is afraid of lycra (I wear it but I'm a longtime roadie and have no shame). But she has really narrow hips and usually can't wear things styled for a curvier shape.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I can only speak from my pear-shaped perspective, but they fit me snugly across the hips and butt (but not tight) and the waist is a little loose. As brg mentioned, I think the sizing runs a little big, but the website has a sizing chart.
    There's no shame in lycra though!

mtbr member

size down

i have last year's knickers and i really like the comfort of the fabric and the chamoix, but i have to agree that they ride really low at the waist. i got the small (5'3/120) and have both sides cinched in, but especially on climbs they ride really low. butt crack low.

my SO didn't seem to mind, but i like a little more protection from crashes/sun. i'd size down. cool company tho, i talked with them for a while when i purchased the knickers. i like to support women-run homegrown businesses.
    Idaho dirt, river, sky

pewpewpew Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by scubaklook
    Has anyone tried the shorts made by harlot? http://harlotwear.com/shorts&pants.htm

They look cute but the pad is non functional, as others have said. I wear them around town, and to spin class, but for real rides I need a real chamois.
    Love, Impy

Jus' Ridin' Along

Just a Guy's perspective

Quote Originally Posted by scubaklook

My SO picked up a pair of shorts and a top in Sedona, and about knocked me off my saddle when she came out for the ride. Very flattering style and she raved about how they fit. She's a bit stacked in back with a narrow waist, so finding shorts that CYA and don't leave a parachute above the hips is a challenge for her. Plus the top was an eye catcher!
    So far, that outfit is her favorite (mine too); loves the the fit, the pad, and the looks (and compliments) she gets.
    I liked the whole idea of a small women-owned company and am trying to get some shops here in SoCal to carry the line. All in all a very cool clothing line; just my two cents of testosterone.
    If ya gotta good tool, build a shed over it

"The most blatant lies are told just after a fishing trip, during a war, and just before an election"

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I just checked out their website. Based on the name Harlot, I was expecting something completely different, as in very short and very tight.

mtbr member
    just bought a pair of the camo baggies and really like them. I bought a size larger (the mediums fit really well for street-wear, but I wanted to wear a chamois underneath -- the camo baggies don't have a pad at all). definitely flattering and great for DH. good low cut, without showing my butt.
    http://www.wickedchickenz.com

art for mountainbikers, by mountainbikers