Thread: grips

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

grips

I am looking for new grips and am wondering what are some good light weight grips that won't hurt your hands?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I'm looking for grip recommendations, also. TIA!

Hooked
    I love the Ergon GP1 and have on both of my mountain bikes. I noticed they now have a racing version GS1 which may be a bit lighter. One of my coaches at the Midwest Women's Clinic also uses them and highly recommended them to the group. She admitted to being a bit of a weight weenie - and so used the style made for grip shifters. They are slightly shorter (to allow room for the shifter) and as such marginally lighter.
    My blog - this, that, travel, garden, bikes, fitness, family, whatever

Instagram, Twitter you'll find me as beerbikegirl

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by kimikaw View Post
    I love the Ergon GP1 and have on both of my mountain bikes. I noticed they now have a racing version GS1 which may be a bit lighter. One of my coaches at the Midwest Women's Clinic also uses them and highly recommended them to the group. She admitted to being a bit of a weight weenie - and so used the style made for grip shifters. They are slightly shorter (to allow room for the shifter) and as such marginally lighter.
    +1 i have the Ergon gp1 race and love them.
    2014 S-Works Epic WC
    2014 S-Works Crux Disc
    2014 Surly Pugsley

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I found a few other posts from folks who love these grips, so that's the direction I'll go. Thanks for the suggestion!

I like the idea of ordering the gripshift version to shave a little weight (my stock Wahoo is very heavy), but I love the bar ends on the GP5, so I may go that route.

Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    ESI chunky silicone grips really good I have them on all my bikes

see me rollin, they hatin
    Ergon as well! i have terrible wrists.
    fap

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by tahic View Post
    ESI chunky silicone grips really good I have them on all my bikes
    I like these grips too, As cushy as any rubber grip, grippy, but without that weird sticky feeling my rubber grips got, lightweight, and even though they are not "lock-ons" they never moved, even on my 10 day trip with rain 9 days. They don't look like much but they feel great. I used to get blisters even with gloves, but not with ESI. You may loose a small chunk from your Chunkys in a crash or tree kiss, but they still work fine until you want a fresh pair. Just got 2 more pair for the MTB & fatbike. A snug fit, so install per directions (rubbing alcohol) and ask a shop where you spend money to blow them on the rest of the way with their air compressor if you are not 100% successful.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Specialized makes some grips that are very similar to the Ergons, but they're not quite as bulky & a little cheaper to boot. They've been the cat's pajamas for me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

ESI Chunky grips

+1
    Love 'em!

Team Chilidog!
    Grips are a feel thing, not much weight to lose in a part that's not that heavy to begin with.

As far as feel is concerned, my faves are the the ODI Rogues and the Oury grips. I've been running the Rogues this year and after they break in they're good and squishy and I've had no hand/wrist pain with them.

Lots of people dig their Ergons, but I would only try the GA1 Evos because I like to rotate my wrists around when doing jumps and manuals otherwise they limit movement with that outer pad portion of the grip. So it depends on your riding style.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Oh yeah OURY grips

Are awesome too. Just this year I switched to the ESI chunkys (the squares were finally starting to peel off my Ourys after 3 years) and find them less slippery when wet. They both feel great and soft though. The ESIs are crazy light though which is kinda cool if you care about light stuff.

My butt is not light so I figure I'll take some help anywhere! Just a teeny tiny bit less to get up hill!

mtbr member
    I'm a big fan of the ESI grips. They damper vibration well, very comfy and fit my very small hands.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    this is good to hear. I'm using the stock grips that came on my specialized myka and they suck - they slid about an inch during my last ride and I've been having pain in my ring finger joint.

mtbr member
    I like the Crank Brother Cobalt grips. They're good for small hands.

-laine

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I'm another fan of the ESI Chunkys. They feel great with or without gloves. I haven't had any hand pain since switching out the stock Bontrager grips for these. Also they come in a ton of colors, which I love.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by idon'tlikepink View Post
    I am looking for new grips and am wondering what are some good light weight grips that won't hurt your hands?
    MEC Ergo Slip-on Grip - Mountain Equipment Co-op. Free Shipping Available

Lowest cost Ergon type grip $6 bucks.

One review that didnt like them cause they rotated....

A squirt of hairspray when installed solves that problem.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I recently switched to Ourys, which work well for me. ESI bruised my hand and I found the Ergon to be too hard for me. I've come to the conclusion that grips are a lot like saddles, it's all about personal preference and what works for you may not work for someone else.