mtbr member
    Mar 2013

A great kickstarter project for women who enjoy their freedom to ride bikes!

Women Biker's-can you imagine not having the freedom to ride your bike, to live in fear of being caught on it?!?

I don't normally share these, but coming across this link today I was inspired!

These women are fighting for their right to ride a bike, a freedom I have taken for granted enough times in the past to feel ashamed for it as I read this project.

I can't give much money right now, but told myself I would spread the word to help these women out with the hope that together, we can Help these women--help tell their story, and hopefully help change their world eventually making it a world where they are free to ride bikes without fear!Afghan Cycles by Sarah Menzies — Kickstarter

mtbr member
    I'm deployed in southwest Afghanistan now... the mountains surrounding this base are amazing. It's tragic the landscape and country is so marred by war. Maybe one day in my lifetime I can return to explore via mountain bike or skis. Good for Sarah to take on this project- I'm happy living behind a big fence until it's time to return.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    how could I guess, muslims... go figure.

Just my opinion but what a messed up religion, sorry its the way I feel..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yeti575nut View Post
    how could I guess, muslims... go figure.

Just my opinion but what a messed up religion, sorry its the way I feel..
    I saw a story about courage and change.... didn't really see religion mentioned at all.

Donation is made!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A great kickstarter project for women who enjoy their freedom to ride bikes!-img_2116.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I totally I totally understand , but if its in that part if the world and its oppressive to women ( and man kind in general) its an issue with the Muslim religion.
    The basis of the radical part of that religion is to oppress and dominate others and women are the perfect perfect outlet for that.
    So with out the actual written context of why women are oppressed you can be assured at 100% , it the Muslim religion who dictates that.

But the courage in the story is awesome, just hope they dont get caught and be headed for it..

mtbr member
    Here's a story about skiing in Afghanistan:

Why You Should Ski In Afghanistan | Blog | Teton Gravity Research

I've been jonesing pretty bad to get out in the mountain since I've been here!

Yeti- almost all religion have extremists and many horrible things are done and have been done in the name of someone's God (Muslim and Christian alike). In the poorest country in the world change will be slow.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I totally agree kinsler and for the record I am not a very religious person ( go figure with my views on it huh??) and in the run down of history more humanity was slaughtered in the name of religion than any other reason.

I think and again my own opinion that once it was figured out that power and wealth was obtained from religion that very second it was jaded.

The only difference that I can see with current religion is that all christian faith has learned that a stern domination of others is not a way to conduct business and there for make it profitable, which in the scheme of things all things revolve around money.

The difference between Muslims today is that they are taught that a non believer is to do one of 3 things, that is be converted, be dominated or be eliminated at the hand and in the name of Allah.

Once planes were flown into the world trade center buildings that is all I needed to know about their religion.
    Even in a town near to me ( dearborn mi ) which looks like the middle east since there are so many muslims there were no protest of the act, no outrage for the rail roading of a so called religion, that also told me all I need to know about the moderate muslims.

their religion can not assimilate to western ways unless the western ways are eliminated and the word of Allah is replaced, that means in every aspect including the removal of the US Constitution, sharia laws in all courts and the oppression of women is just part of it.

Sorry to jump into your post with my views but Ive never been able to shut my yapper when I should, but this subject steams me dearly and although some may seam my views as politically incorrect I say to bad and go back and watch the 9-11 coverage and show me where the moderate Muslims were on that day and where was the outrage and show of support for a country that has welcomed them and given them hope of a better life.

OK im done, great story you posted and I will avoid my views if you post similar stories, take care..

Rogue Exterminator
    First off it is against forum rules to discuss religion.

Second, I am sure there are many Muslims on this forum who love and cherish their religion and do not subscribe to the oppression of women. Let us please try and be respectful.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    agreed, I got carried away..