mtbr member
    Jul 2007

New question here. GF Marlin GS or Tassajara Disc GS

This will be my first mountain bike and am leaning towards the cheaper Marlin GS unless somebody can justify spending the extra $$$ on the Tassajara Disc GS. I won't be doing technical stuff or jumps or drops and I won't be riding in very muddy conditions (too much of a girl to get dirty )

Don't worry, be happy!
    which one makes you smile more?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    the price of the marlin makes me happy, but the tassajara is really nice looking...

Don't worry, be happy!
    it's not about looks, it is about how the bike feels when you ride it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I haven't tried the Marlin yet, it's a good hour drive away, the Tassajara is about 15 minutes away. I also like that the bike shop is closer so they can take care of the first few tuneups, adjustments, etc. It's $550 vs $900. I thought the Tassajara felt pretty good, I like the geometry better than the specialized. I like the lower standover height but it has the longer cockpit which I need.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    i have a 2002 gf tass with discs. i also have an '07 stumpjumper fsr pro. i still ride the gf a lot. it's indestructable tho its deore components are frustrating at times. the brakes are awesome. i haven't regretted having the tass as my first mtb.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    what about the deore components are frustrating? my husband told me it's better to try to get more deore level components, especially in the drivetrain.

He was trying to steer me in the direction of a gf men's 15.5" pirahna but has since decided it is too small (5'7" with a 32" standover). Now he's trying to get me to look at men's 17.5" frames again. I might try them again, but without modifying the cockpit is too long, the brake reach was a bit long etc.

Bike to the Bone...
    Quote Originally Posted by curlymama
    what about the deore components are frustrating? my husband told me it's better to try to get more deore level components, especially in the drivetrain.

He was trying to steer me in the direction of a gf men's 15.5" pirahna but has since decided it is too small (5'7" with a 32" standover). Now he's trying to get me to look at men's 17.5" frames again. I might try them again, but without modifying the cockpit is too long, the brake reach was a bit long etc.
    I don't think there's nothing wrong with deore. Maybe we're just too spoiled with XT or similar. Regarding this two bikes, it's more important that the bike fits you more than the price (assuming you can pay for both whithout going hungry for a month ).

Look first for the bike that fits you better. If both feel the same, or similar, here is my personal hierarchy list:

1. Frame
    2. Fork and wheels
    3. Tires
    4. Drivetrain and everything else.

Well, frame will dictate if it fits or not, as well as how the bike will feel. And, if you change frames you could say you change bike.

Fork and wheels are very important, they're not cheap to upgrade later on and they make a difference.

Tires, well, they're not that expensive to change, but they make the bike feel different depending on the terrain you're riding on.

Drivetrain, as long as it's set up right, it will work. XTR will shift better and faster than Alivio, and weight less, but there's a world of difference in prices. Deore works fine and actually it's above most entry level bikes (which usually have Acera, Alivio and lower parts).

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I have a 06 Tass GS Disc LOVE this bike it makes me happy!!!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Nothing is wrong with Deore... until you try out XTR or X.0. Then you realize how much better life can be in a higher tax bracket.