mtbr member
    Jan 2014

Getting my new bike with specs changed without notice.....

Hi, I am new to mtbing, and am purchasing my second mtb.

I have a question: Can the dealer (bike shop) change the specs of a bike (without notice) when you are picking up your new bike? Eg: can they change the tires' brand and size if they claimed that they have "run out of stock".

Please also see this page - the very bottom says : "All specifications are subject to change without notice".
    Lust Advanced 27.5 2 (2014) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | New Zealand

Really ? Can they do that ? Have you ever had this problem when buying your new bike ?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I'm not sure if they can legally so I cant say where you stand on that front but Id think any store has to provide you with notice of the changes as you're paying for said bike.
    In the case of the changes it should ok if.
    1.There is no additional cost to you as that's not your problem
    2.The parts put on the bike are of equal or better quality and value.

May sure you check the parts changed and compare the two not just price wise but performance wise, you are purchasing this bike, they really should have rang you and said look we don't have this part but we can offer you this for nothing or this for a bit more or less etc.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Totally agree with what you said!

mtbr member
    Have they already attempted to substitute parts or is this just a preemptive concern? It would be pretty shady if they put on a lesser part class without noting.
    '93 Giant Sedona ATX custom
    '93 Giant Sedona AtX aero-edition
    '73 Schwinn Suburban
    '95 Fuji Suncrest

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    When I pickup the bike 2 days ago. I noticed the tires were not the same: 2.1 width and non-tubeless[Whereas the specs (the link above) says the Tire is 2.25 and TLR.]
    When I wanted them to change it, they said "read the fine print".
    I disagreed. I insisted that this be changed to the same specs as stated. I can accept any brand, but has to be 2.25 and TLR. They were very unwillingly ordered the tires for me (together with some nasty remarks), and said will take another 2 days. I said I can wait.
    I am going to pick the bike today. But I am not sure if any other parts being changed...

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Did you ask why they changed the tires?Manufacters can and do change parts base what they can get when they do a run.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Quote Originally Posted by psalm1604 View Post
    When I pickup the bike 2 days ago. I noticed the tires were not the same: 2.1 width and non-tubeless[Whereas the specs (the link above) says the Tire is 2.25 and TLR.]
    When I wanted them to change it, they said "read the fine print".
    I disagreed. I insisted that this be changed to the same specs as stated. I can accept any brand, but has to be 2.25 and TLR. They were very unwillingly ordered the tires for me (together with some nasty remarks), and said will take another 2 days. I said I can wait.
    I am going to pick the bike today. But I am not sure if any other parts being changed...
    Was this the same bike that was on the floor when you bought the bike, or was the bike they delivered assembled fresh from the box for you?

If the first, they should not have changed anything without your approval.

If the second, the disclaimer is valid. Spec can and does change depending on availability. Better to ship bikes that can be sold than sit on hundreds or thousands of units because the tires are out of stock.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Moderator Moderator
    ^^ I think Shiggy is right, but I would add:
    Shops I have dealt with want a happy customer and will work with you to get you a bike you're happy with. Not necessarily the spec, and not necessarily free if it is an upgrade, but not telling you "too bad so sad", which is more what I'd expect online.

If you have not paid, you can change your mind and shop elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    ^^ I think Shiggy is right, but I would add:
    Shops I have dealt with want a happy customer and will work with you to get you a bike you're happy with. Not necessarily the spec, and not necessarily free if it is an upgrade, but not telling you "too bad so sad", which is more what I'd expect online.

If you have not paid, you can change your mind and shop elsewhere.
    Agreed. Shops are usually happy to make swaps at the time of purchase, but they can influenced by how the customer asks about it. Be aggressive and they may take the hard line.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    It would be interesting to see if Giant made the change in the production run or if the shop is grabbing the Tubeless Kevlar beaded tires and substituting a cheaper wire bead tire for financial or other advantage at the unsuspecting customers loss?

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Thanks for all your replies. I have got my bike (tires) sorted . Haven't got time to look at other specs, but they all looks too to me.
    Just an advise: "read the fine print" before you pay for any bike.
    For sure, I am not going back to this bike shop anymore, no way ! Most bike shops offered 2~3 after sale bike-service free of charge, but not this one! (?!).
    One more interesting story, when they gave me the test bike to ride on (a week ago), both tires has only 20psi, and the guy said "that is ok". ..... (?). I should have gone to another shop from then. Well. My mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by psalm1604 View Post
    Thanks for all your replies. I have got my bike (tires) sorted . Haven't got time to look at other specs, but they all looks too to me.
    Just an advise: "read the fine print" before you pay for any bike.
    For sure, I am not going back to this bike shop anymore, no way ! Most bike shops offered 2~3 after sale bike-service free of charge, but not this one! (?!).
    One more interesting story, when they gave me the test bike to ride on (a week ago), both tires has only 20psi, and the guy said "that is ok". ..... (?). I should have gone to another shop from then. Well. My mistake.
    Every bike catalog and website I have ever looked at has the "specifications subject to change without notice" disclaimer. Every one.

20psi can be fine for a light rider on high volume tires.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    Every bike catalog and website I have ever looked at has the "specifications subject to change without notice" disclaimer. Every one.

20psi can be fine for a light rider on high volume tires.
    Understand what you said. Just checked several websites re tire pressure. They all stated has to be the min psi as stated on the tire. I personally have had an experience of running a lower pressure (due to laziness of pumping it up), the result was quite simple: flat tire after >1hrs of single track.
    Re "Disclaimer". Any changes, I would prefer to be notified, then I can decided to take or leave it. Not after I make the payment.
    Also checked with the laws here. In NZ, a product supplied "should match the sample or demonstration model", "match the description" (as at advertised). If not, it is considered: misleading = In breach of Consumer Guarantee Act and Fair Trading Act. The "disclaimer" might be valid, but to bring them to small claim court is also valid for me. [Let's the judge decide].
    By all mean, this sort of incidence can only jeopardize their shop's reputation. Just imagine how many mtbers I am going to tell about what have happened ?
    I have only pointed out 2 issues here about this bike shop. In fact, there were more, which I don't feel like talking about it - for their sake. Anyway.
    For my next bike, I will definitely asked for the full specs (as advertised) before I make any payment. [It seems stupid to me ,cos they've already listed them out ,and yet I have to ask "am I getting this", "am I getting that"...one by one.......]

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    There could be a few reasons for the tire pressure been low.
    1.laziness
    2.softer tires gives more traction and therefore makes the bike feel very grippy
    3.makes the ride less harsh again makes it feel comfortable to ride.

So there possibly could be some sale tactics at play but who knows.

mtbr member
    This happened to my boyfriend when he bought his new bike but the shop claimed they adjusted the price (lowered) to reflect the part that didn't match the specs. If you pay for certain specs and they give you lower priced stuff on it, then I don't know. I would raise hell and never use that shop again lol.
    2012 Trek Rumblefish

Trek4Lyfe