mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Full Suss for 4'11'' 151 cm lady

Looking for a full sus trail bike for my wife She is currently on a 13.5"' Spesh Myka hardtail we are looking at Pivot Mach 4 in xxs and Santa Cruz Juliana in xs both with Fox 120 fork
    Bike is for all round trail riding Any more suggestions?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    My wife is 4'11" and loves her Titus Racer-X. The fit is excellent.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I think you're stuck with those 3 choices. I'm buying my wife (whose also 4'11") the Pivot Mach 4.

Are you as amazed as I am about the extremely few companies that make an XXS frame for a 5 foot or shorter woman?

I mean seriously, look at the mexican, latino, asian etc... etc... communities. They for the most part have short women, why are they almost excluded from the mountain biking world?

What about young teenagers? Gabby Douglas is 4'11", what if she wants a mountain bike? My niece (20 years old) is 5', what if she wants a mountain bike?

It's sad and very strange to me.

mtbr member
    My 4'11" wife rides a xs Giant cypher (trance W now). Fits her great and is a good climber and great on the downs as well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    She must have really long legs.

The Giant Trance XS has a standover of 30.9" with 120mm forks. My wife, the ground to her crotch is 27", my niece is 27 1/2". Frame needs to have at least 2" of clearance so we're talking mid-tube standover around 25".

mtbr member
    She does not. When looking for a small bike with 5"+ of travel for shorties you have to give it up somewhere. The top tube length is more important and the giant is short at 21.1. The mach 4 gives up some travel thus the standover is better. Its also slightly shorter at 20.8. My wife is a very experienced rider so the old 2" standover rule of thumb was not as important. Not sure where giant is measuring standover as there is no standard way to do it. She has clearance thou.

Good luck and try to get her on an actual bike bf u buy. That was the clincher for us. Geometry charts only tell part of story

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thanks, That's great advice

mtbr member
    Im not 100% on exact standover height. But I am selling my GF's old XS 2010 Knolly Endorphin. Its an awesome burly all-around AM bike that can be set up light or burly.
    She is 5'2" and the bike was on the small side for her. Frame has a downward slope right at the seat to give you a little more clearance.

PM me if interested.