mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Upset FRS 120 pro Stumpjumper. danger danger

Supposed Women?s specific 2005 FRS 120 Pro sold to my girlfriend has an inherent flaw that her toes hit the front tire when turning the handlebars and pedaling. The bike does not have a sticker that indicates it is women specific.
    I tried the bike and had the same results. Very scary off road.. The tire, factory stock, is simple way to close to the pedals because the effective top tube is way to short.. One would need to have a size 2-foot or no toes too avoid the problem.
    She tested the bike under limited conditions, most riding in a strait line with wide turns on pavement without noticing the problem.
    I am trying to determine whether she was sold the wrong frame or that the design is just incredibly poor before confronting the local bike store that sold it to her. Frankly I would not sell this bike to anyone.
    Nowhere on the bike can I find a frame size. Can?t believe only this bike has the problem. Have any of you ladies experienced a similar problem. Thank Tim

mtbr member

data .. data

Check the crank length, maybe it was assembled with cranks that are too long. Then there's the matter of the fork size, is it a factory spec'd fork?
    Finally - are we talking clipless pedals?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Check his other thread.

There is no problem with the design.
    Somebody turned the fork around.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Toe overlap is not too uncommon on smaller sized bikes. It was an issue I made a point to check when I was looking for my cx bike because when they get as small as mine, toe overlap is a common problem. (The 49cm Jamis Nova works with no overlap though, in case anyone is looking!)

I test rode a size small stumpjumper 120, which is the smallest size specialized makes, and I definitely did not have this problem (but it didn't climb well, so I crossed it off my list). Make sure the bike is set up right. Or make sure your gf is riding preoperly. There are very few occasions that you would turn the wheel so sharp that you would be encountering toe overlap anyway. Most of turning is leaning your body weight appropriately.