mtbr member

Freeride/Downhill bikes for sub-5-foot girlfriend

Are there any shorter women in this forum that are also into bike parks/FR/DH? I need recommendations for a frame/bike for my super-short girlfriend who's starting to get into gravity riding. She rides an x-small Santa Cruz Juliana currently and it's a great bike, but I think she'd be better off with something a little slacker, stronger, and more suited to chairlift/bike park stuff. It seems her options are pretty limited as I couldn't even find any women's-specific FR/DH bikes currently in production. : /

Any suggestions/experience/recommendations are much appreciated!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    You might want o check for threads on kid's DH bikes. 24" wheel might be a place to start. Commencal Supreme 24 and Specialized Gromhit. There is a height challenged girl that rides the lifts where I do with a SC Butcher with a 24" rearwheel.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Perhaps a Norco Vixa or Transition Syren?

Living the High Life
    The Specialized Demo 8 has a pretty low stand over and comes in a XS.

Specialized Bicycle Components

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I saw a small or XS Pivot DH bike this weekend. That was just about the smallest DH bike I've ever seen. Might want to look into it.

mtbr member
    Scott Voltage would be a good option too. And Nicolai is doing full custom if you need to go that route.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I'm 5'3 and ride an XS Pivot 5.7 with a 150mm Talas fork, and an XS Demo 8.

I have a friend who's sub 5 ft who rides the XXS Mach 4, but she's not too into AM or gravity riding. I'm not sure if the XS models would be too big for someone <5ft, but it's worth a shot.

mtbr member
    My friend is riding Kona Operator size small. She is small girl and she loves the bike! There are some small bikes I could ride but this one is tiny And is light as well.

Dudette
    Quote Originally Posted by yennefer View Post
    My friend is riding Kona Operator size small. She is small girl and she loves the bike! There are some small bikes I could ride but this one is tiny And is light as well.
    Do you happen to know what the standover is on that bike and if she has any? I realize there are a lot of other aspects to a bike's "fit" but I definitely like having room between me and the top tube.