mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Free Stroke Adjustment Necessary for Small Hands?

I'm trying to decide between Deore M596 or XT M785 brakes. They both have reach adjustment, but only the XT has free stroke adjustment for pad contact. My lady has hands about 5" long. So her brake levers will be set to about 2" from the handlebar. Is it important to have free stroke adjustment when the levers are setup this way? Thanks all.

Dirty South Underdog
    The free stroke adjustment should work independently of the reach adjust. The XT brakes are pretty sweet though. I'd go with those.
    Brickhouse Blog (most known unknown)

Just Riding Along- best internet radio show on Mountain Bike Radio

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Find someone with a similar setup to try out. It will save you money in the long run based on past experience.

Free stroke adjustment is a nice luxury if you plan on running the levers at the minimum reach. However, if you need to run them at the minimum reach, you will have other issues to consider such as conflicting requirements for (pick as many as required) brake lever + shifter + dropper post lever + suspension adjust + bell position.

We eventually ended up with the most recent generation shimano dual control, which shimano appears to be no longer producing.

PS. If reach is critical, keep spare pads on hand, as you will have to change them out early due to reach issues rather than pad life.

DIY all the way
    Shimano Zent

Free stroke adjustment on the cheaper Shimano models is not hard to make.

Magura

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Magura View Post
    Shimano Zent

Free stroke adjustment on the cheaper Shimano models is not hard to make.

Magura
    Been reading up on this. Heard the difference in feel is minimal even from the extreme points, so save your money and get SLX. Instead of dealing with the screw, you can change the oil level to adjust the feel last time I checked (not a brake expert, just as I understand it).

DIY all the way
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
    Been reading up on this. Heard the difference in feel is minimal even from the extreme points, so save your money and get SLX. Instead of dealing with the screw, you can change the oil level to adjust the feel last time I checked (not a brake expert, just as I understand it).
    The difference you can gain on the free stroke adjustment, is approx. 10mm of lever throw, measured on the tip of the lever.

If you have small hands, this would be significant I'd say.

If your fingers resembles a bunch of bananas, it with hardly make any difference, as the lever is never getting close enough to the bars to be in the way.

Personally I like it for the sake of fine tuning, though I have fairly big hands.

Magura

EDIT: changing the oil level, requires you make a thinner bleed block. No big deal, if you're a bit handy.