Thread: Five more days

mtbr member

Five more days

until we arrive in Fruita. CanjunSpice and I are heading out tomorrow in the truck with 4 bikes and camping gear. First stop will be Pala Dura Canyon for a couple of days to ride and explore. Then on up into Colorado where on Wednedday we pick up three other friends who are flying in. We are staying for 5 days of riding in the Fruita area.

Any advice or suggestions on route? 25 to 70 through Denver looks easy, but I was thinking about going diagonal over to Salida and taking 50 into GJ. We may stop for another night of camping if we knew of a good place where it won't be tooo cold at night.

Or would it be better to stay south and go through Durango? All in put would be appreciated. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CycleMainiac
    until we arrive in Fruita. CanjunSpice and I are heading out tomorrow in the truck with 4 bikes and camping gear. First stop will be Pala Dura Canyon for a couple of days to ride and explore. Then on up into Colorado where on Wednedday we pick up three other friends who are flying in. We are staying for 5 days of riding in the Fruita area.

Any advice or suggestions on route? 25 to 70 through Denver looks easy, but I was thinking about going diagonal over to Salida and taking 50 into GJ. We may stop for another night of camping if we knew of a good place where it won't be tooo cold at night.

Or would it be better to stay south and go through Durango? All in put would be appreciated. Thanks.
    First have a great time. I just visited Fruita two weeks ago and loved it!!! Great trails.
    Take I-70 West I think its your best bet!!! The weather is great now and I hope no storms move in on you guys.
    Lots of rides to be had there so enjoy!!!
    Ride Fast, Take Chances!

Des(s)ert Rat
    Well, if it makes a difference, I can ride both Wednesday and Thursday, but Friday and Saturday tend to be iffy.

asleep by 10:00pm
    Jun 2004

snow.....

durango just got hit and the best rides in salida are high country, which, well also got hit, not sure if they are rideable any more for the season. i would say just come spend some extra time in fruita, it is amazing here right now and i think this stretch of perfect fall weather may stick around for awhile. enjoy and welcome to town

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Quote Originally Posted by CycleMainiac
    Any advice or suggestions on route? 25 to 70 through Denver looks easy, but I was thinking about going diagonal over to Salida and taking 50 into GJ.
    Hartman's Rocks in Gunnison is worth a stop and 3-5 hour ride. It's low enough to not keep snow this early. It's between Salida and Montrose. I think there's an LBS on Main St (Tomichi Cycles?) where you can get a map. There's plenty of camping nearby.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

Members who have read this thread: 0