Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Dudette

First Bike Park/Downhill Experience - whoa!

This past weekend I participated in an annual get-together at Kingdom Trails amongst a group of us that belong to the Ridemonkey forum in the NE. The first time I went to Monkeyfest, I did not go with the group that visited the local Burke Mountain Ski Resort/Bike Park. As a newer rider with a hardtail, it wasn't even on my radar. A few years later, with more experience and my Trance X 29er, I was ready to taste the Kool-Aid.

Saturday could not have been a more beautiful day. The sun was out and temps promised to be in the upper 70s - a nice reprieve from the oppressive heat we'd experienced this past month. I was pleasantly surprised that the day-long lift ticket was only $20. Coupled with being able to ride my own bike, rather than have to rent one, made it totally worth it to me to give it a try. Plus, I had heard so many good things about the trails from my friends.

I'll admit, peering down at the trail we would be riding (Jester), was a bit intimidating as I watched people race by, railing the berms and hopping the tabletops. I've never ridden berms like that and tabletops? Not in my repertoire. So, I was a bit nervous when we gathered at the top and went over a few things. Being new, everyone was great with helpful advice and offering to lead so I could watch their lines. Initially I found it awkward to drop my seat all the way down, but I quickly found that half-way was not going to cut it once I rolled over my first couple tables. I know I was pretty stiff my first run down and pretty hesitant on the berms. There are two lines you can take on that trail - a berm line and a tabletop line, and as I don't jump, I figured the berm line would be a safer bet. I understand the whole concept of spotting your entrance and exit, and foot placement. But, actually putting that together while you're heading down the mountain for the first time was a lot more to ask of me than I was ready to give at that time. I honestly felt it was all I could do at some points to keep my wheel facing down the trail

By the time I arrived at the bottom with the rest of my group, my knees/legs were shaking so bad, I felt I could collapse at any point. BUT, I also had a grin that you couldn't possibly wipe off. We got back into line (that was another surprise - the line was extremely short and the wait was minimal) and I rode between a couple of my friends, getting a lot of helpful pointers along the way. The berms felt a little better that time around, but I knew it was going to take a while to gain some confidence. By the third time down, I started to "get" the berms and didn't slow as much before and learned to really look ahead at my exit. What a huge difference that made! Our last run down was definitely the best. My friend who was riding behind me commented she could not keep up and I looked a lot smoother. All I know is that it was a ton of fun, and I can't wait to experience it again! I definitely gained more confidence on the berms and with carrying speed downhill. I am not sure how much I would like really technical downhill riding...but that kind of flow trail was an absolute blast. I highly recommend Burke Mountain to any beginner interested in giving downhill riding a try.

mtbr member
    Nice! Jester is a ton of fun, both lines take a lot of practice, but have a lot of rewards. Burke is building a new, even more beginner-friendly 'flow-trail' starting this week, with a crew from IMBA, thanks to winning the Bell grant earlier this year.

The Enchanted Forest and Black Forest are good introductions to slightly more technical, 'natural-terrain' downhill at Burke...They aren't so steep and technical that they are dangerous for the unskilled, but will certainly challenge an intermediate rider. No airs or drops to speak of.

Knight-Slayer requires big skills and bravery, however.

Glad you had fun and keep on keepin' on!

Gnarly
    What a great post petey! thanks for sharing your spirited adventure and experience at the bike park!
    I'm a dh enthusiast and can't get enough of that adrenalin rush.
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

Moderator Moderator
    Great going! I'm tempted now!

Dudette
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    What a great post petey! thanks for sharing your spirited adventure and experience at the bike park!
    I'm a dh enthusiast and can't get enough of that adrenalin rush.
    Thanks! This has been something I was curious to try, but wasn't sure how much I could (or wanted) to handle. You know how it is when you want to try something that has interested you for a while, but are afraid it might not meet your expectations, or be more than you can handle? And this is something I really wanted to like and provide me with a challenge and help me get over some of my fears and areas I've been stuck on. For me, it was a personal challenge and I'm so glad I did it! It exceeded my expectations and I was honestly surprised how I started to become more comfortable with the speed. I left feeling so good about myself and accomplishments. What more could you ask? Oh, for more downhilling!

Dudette
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    Great going! I'm tempted now!
    You should! How far are you from East Burke? I really liked how they had trails for all skill levels. For me, Jester was just the right amount of challenge without terrifying me. It didn't hurt to watch kids on hardtails go down it, too. I like that you can choose how fast/slow you want to go and there are plenty of places to get off the trail if you feel you're being crowded by more experienced riders. But honestly, everyone I encountered was really courteous and friendly. My interest has definitely been piqued!

Dudette
    Well, I have definitely been bitten! My friend and I are signing up for a woman's freeride clinic at Highland in early October. We decided to just do the Saturday clinics so that we could ride Vietnam on Sunday. Biggest thing I want to learn how to do are drops. I encountered some pretty big step-downs at KT and so wished I knew how to drop them properly without rolling. And if I could learn to jump and do tabletops, that would be icing on the cake. The biggest thing for me is conquering the fear factor. Amazing how much more you think about injuring yourself when you're over 40

i moto too
    Dec 2008
    you brought a tear to my eye - (1) because of your enthusiasm and it sounded like you had such fun, and (2) because I havenít been on my dh bike for such a long time. the dh trials were closed when I was at kingdom (I really enjoyed the other trials though) so I canít compare them, but I have a feeling youíll really enjoy highland too. you can really tell when you ride trails that were built by people with a real passion (I think both places fall into that category).

and i hear ya about the over 40

Team Chilidog!
    Petey.. awesome post. I just can't give you enough rep points for this
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

Dudette
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
    Petey.. awesome post. I just can't give you enough rep points for this
    The whole experience has made me feel like a kid again It's almost like learning how to ride a bike for the first time, and experiencing that freedom and the thrill of when you first went downhill.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by petey15 View Post
    You should! How far are you from East Burke?
    Less than 1.5 hours by car. I'm near Millstone. I usually get over to Kingdom Trails a few times for summer biking and a few times for winter biking, but on the Darling Hill side, not the lift.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by redheadrider View Post

and i hear ya about the over 40
    I forget, is 51 over 40?

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    I forget, is 51 over 40?
    No, 39 is

Gnarly
    I'm +47 and I took up dh only a couple years ago.

O.C. Age Poll

I wish I learned at a younger age... but that didn't stop me. For me, my biggest thrill is doing a very difficult technical section well or when both wheels leave the ground!

Mitigate the risk: attend clinics, ride with peeps who are more skilled, wear protective gear, and ride !
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

Dudette
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    I'm +47 and I took up dh only a couple years ago.

O.C. Age Poll

I wish I learned at a younger age... but that didn't stop me. For me, my biggest thrill is doing a very difficult technical section well or when both wheels leave the ground!

Mitigate the risk: attend clinics, ride with peeps who are more skilled, wear protective gear, and ride !
    I couldn't agree with you more on this one!

Yup, definitely doing all of the above. I'll be taking a freeride clinic in October and am looking forward to that. I ordered a full-face helmet a few months ago and am looking forward to putting that into use, finally. Hmmm, let me rephrase that...I'm looking forward to wearing it, not necessary needing it.

Dudette
    No, 39 is
    Congrats on "Polar Bear", Stripes! Pictures of you two riding the gnar, please

Team Chilidog!

Congrats on "Polar Bear", Stripes! Pictures of you two riding the gnar, please
    Thanks Petey . Not sure when I'll get to some gnar but I'll see if I can get some pictures of me riding it.

It'll be interesting to see if I can make it to any gnar before my surgery but if I do I'll post pics. I take it you liked my test ride with Beatrix Kiddo?

Dudette
    Thanks Petey . Not sure when I'll get to some gnar but I'll see if I can get some pictures of me riding it.

It'll be interesting to see if I can make it to any gnar before my surgery but if I do I'll post pics. I take it you liked my test ride with Beatrix Kiddo?
    Oh noes, surgery? Bummer! Yes, I enjoyed your test ride with Beatrix Kiddo very much. Of course now I'm completely obsessed with finding a kind of do-it-all bike like that, too. I'm hoping the freeride clinic I plan on taking will help me decide exactly how much travel I will need and how gnarly I would like to go

Team Chilidog!

Oh noes, surgery? Bummer! Yes, I enjoyed your test ride with Beatrix Kiddo very much. Of course now I'm completely obsessed with finding a kind of do-it-all bike like that, too. I'm hoping the freeride clinic I plan on taking will help me decide exactly how much travel I will need and how gnarly I would like to go
    Yes a overly planned reduction mammoplasty. Carrying around a 36JJ or 3000g in your chest affects your breathing, creates tingling fingers and cold hands, and lovely neck and back pain. It's worth the 3 months off the trails to get my life back.

I wasn't intending to actually love the mojo HD. Funny thing is I was expecting to really hate the bike. I've been so anti carbon since I had a trek y-22 but the HD is just so perfect. Couldn't figure that out in the parking lot. It took trail riding to really get the feel of it.

Dudette
    I wasn't intending to actually love the mojo HD. Funny thing is I was expecting to really hate the bike. I've been so anti carbon since I had a trek y-22 but the HD is just so perfect. Couldn't figure that out in the parking lot. It took trail riding to really get the feel of it.
    Isn't it funny how we can have pre-conceived notions about bikes (or other things) without ever having trying them, only to be proven wrong when we give it a chance? I used to think riding a women's-specific bike would be the best, until I tried a couple out and felt terribly cramped. I've been afraid to even try carbon (although my reason is I'm afraid I'd destroy it). So cool the HD worked out for you - it's a beautiful bike!

Team Chilidog!
    Isn't it funny how we can have pre-conceived notions about bikes (or other things) without ever having trying them, only to be proven wrong when we give it a chance? I used to think riding a women's-specific bike would be the best, until I tried a couple out and felt terribly cramped. I've been afraid to even try carbon (although my reason is I'm afraid I'd destroy it). So cool the HD worked out for you - it's a beautiful bike!
    Thanks I hear you on the carbon. The Trek Y-22 was a nightmare for carbon and probably set it back for a lot of people to try carbon. I personally wasn't impressed with it in the parking lot, but that was a medium, not a small.

There are many reasons why the HD was in consideration, but for a carbon bike the HD is for "heavy-duty." It's not that light of a frame, but it's not the heaviest of tanks either. But it did meet my new criteria: 160mm and 26" and must be able to test ride. Just surprised that I really fell in love with it.

On WSD, I rode a Gary Fisher WSD Sugar. It was an okay bike, but I couldn't feel the difference between that and the "guy's version." At the same time, so many of the WSD still seem dumbed down, and many of them are tuned for someone half my weight (and I ride a small frame), so I stuck with Ventana for so long because they did custom frames. It just turns out that's not what I need.

Slothful dirt hippie
    FWIW I haven't destroyed my 2009 Mojo yet. At ~3,000 very hard miles and most of the parts replaced/getting replaced.... rest assured I've tried, lol.
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

mtbr member
    Glad you had a great time, Petey! I am at Mammoth Mountain in CA...well, I will be on the trails again in the a.m. Mammoth is, to my knowledge, the largest bike park here in California; many trails, high *very high* elevations, and the entire area (mountain, town, valley below) is a giant volcano. Though I'm not new to bike parks, this is the first bike park with my Trance. I am stoked and loving it! The Trance X29er is no dh bike, but that's okay- I am more of an xc rider. I trust Giant's suspension far more than previous bikes I've owned. And tubeless? Awesome. This year I also invested in a good full-face helmet and lightweight, comfortable knee & arm guards. I have eaten dirt pretty badly here in the past, but today I found myself riding with more confidence than ever- presumably it's the bike, the armor, and simply riding a lot with friends. Also, Mammoth has made some wonderful improvements to their trails- concrete mat bermed turns, features, etc. Today I passed a couple of employees working on a particularly nasty switchback and thanked them profusely. Unfortunately this site just won't let me upload cell phone pics, or I would. I totally agree with you that bike parks are super fun.
    Never give up, never surrender.

Moderator Moderator

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyDi View Post
    Glad you had a great time, Petey! I am at Mammoth Mountain in CA...well, I will be on the trails again in the a.m. Mammoth is, to my knowledge, the largest bike park here in California; many trails, high *very high* elevations, and the entire area (mountain, town, valley below) is a giant volcano. Though I'm not new to bike parks, this is the first bike park with my Trance. I am stoked and loving it! The Trance X29er is no dh bike, but that's okay- I am more of an xc rider. I trust Giant's suspension far more than previous bikes I've owned. And tubeless? Awesome. This year I also invested in a good full-face helmet and lightweight, comfortable knee & arm guards. I have eaten dirt pretty badly here in the past, but today I found myself riding with more confidence than ever- presumably it's the bike, the armor, and simply riding a lot with friends. Also, Mammoth has made some wonderful improvements to their trails- concrete mat bermed turns, features, etc. Today I passed a couple of employees working on a particularly nasty switchback and thanked them profusely. Unfortunately this site just won't let me upload cell phone pics, or I would. I totally agree with you that bike parks are super fun.
    Definitely! I need to make it down your way to Mammoth. N* is the closest to me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast