Quiet Professional

Few questions about bike for wife.

My wife is reluctant to get into biking. She has ridden once in the past 15 years or so since she was a kid. We rode about a quarter mile on an old bike she had as a teen. No suspension and her rear was hurting from the saddle. She said it felt like the trip jostled her brain. I am wanting to get her a bike as my daughter lovers to ride and I want it to be a family event. Would a fs bike with large cushy seat help? Second is it is all about how the bike looks. She likes the looks of the 2012 giant trance x1 w and could deal with the 2013 trans x 2w . She likes plain paint schemes and hates pink. Anything else i should look at? She is 5.5 but with shorter legs. No shop here has any womens fs bikes and not sure of the size.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

Don't worry, be happy!
    A big cushy seat looks nice but is really part of the problem. Get her some proper bike shorts with a chamois, she wears them sans undies, and a regular ladies saddle. The exact one that will work for her may take some monkeying... but no matter what, there is some saddle/butt break in time that just has to be tolerated.

Moderator Moderator
    ^^ Good advice, but if MTB'g just doesn't appeal, don't be disappointed, make it a father/daughter bonding opportunity, and some time for your wife to pursue her own interests or just have some down time. Time apart can be good for the fam too.

mtbr member
    I would consider looking at a Giant Yukon which is a fantastic entry level FS. I got one for my girlfriend a year and a half ago and she loves it. I could not convince her to upgrade to a Trance because she loves her Yukon so much. Since getting it I have upgraded the drive train to a Shamano 2x10 XT and swapped the awful forks for a Reba. She has been racing it (XC and AM) for the last 8 months. And to beat it all it's a pound and a half lighter than my Stumpjumper!
    I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals, I just hate vegetables.

mtbr member
    My girlfriend and I went looking for a bike for her today but it turns out that she needs an x-small and not too many shops have an x-small on the floor. Does anyone have a recommendation of a decent hard tail? She wants to stick to 26" cause she pretty short and wants to have some stand over. Thanks for any assistance!!