Thread: Dropper?

mtbr member

Dropper?

So I went to a three day skills class a couple of weeks ago and I learned a ton. We went through bike set up, then three days of drills and practice.

I came away with:

Practice all of the drills
    Look ahead to success!!
    May need to go back to wider bars
    Maybe a shorter stem
    Get a dropper post!

My questions: Do you have a dropper post? Why or why not? What kind do you have and what kind do you recommend? Do you think it makes a significant difference going downhill?

Once again, thanks in advance. You are all so very helpful!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    brought one for my wife and it improved her confidence (specially in the downhills) and fun on the bike. We both have a LEV 125mm and 150mm. It is a very reliable dropper post. Hope this helps.

Moderator Moderator
    I would like to have one, but don't want to buy one, if you know what I mean. I have browsed them a bit but always stop myself by telling myself "you often stop at the top of thee hill anyway, so how hard is it adjust the seatpost yourself?". But others have told me it is a game changer, so don't let me discourage you from getting one. I've also thought it would also be nice on the fatbike as it can be hard on the fingers to adjust anything in the cold. Report back if you get one.

Don't worry, be happy!
    Game changer is right, imo. One of the main takeaways I got from the first skills clinic I took in 02 was "saddle down" for descending and technical descents, and a few other situations. I have worn out at least two QRs over the years. For a long time people thought I was nuts - especially a lot of the die hard "been XC riding forever and never put my saddle down" people. I wanted one for a long time but cost is/was kind of an issue. DH and I decided to do his/hers for Xmas last year.

Local lbs's couldn't find one to fit my bike (Specialized) and it wasn't 'until I was up in BC last summer that I found one to fit. I ended up with a KS i900; DH has an X-fusion that has given us nothing but trouble. Fitting a particular seat post tube can be an issue: I have the truncated FSR frame and getting one short enough was an issue for me, DH's Kona required a shim.

I would never go back. For my style of riding I love it. I ride a lot of tecchy XC, all-mountain type riding.

One thing to keep in mind, other than the limitations you might run into with the size of your seat post, is the kind of button that is used and how it will fit with your shifter/brake setup. The push button for the KS is really nicely designed, X-Fusion that DH is not.

Moderator Moderator
    ^^ That reminds me...while browsing, I learned that at least for some models, there is both a minimum amount you must be able to insert, and a minimum height of exposed seatpost for it to work for you. So shop carefully, peoples with not much seatpost exposed currently, or wierd frames that don't allow the minimum insertion.

Don't worry, be happy!

Dropper?

Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    ^^ That reminds me...while browsing, I learned that at least for some models, there is both a minimum amount you must be able to insert, and a minimum height of exposed seatpost for it to work for you. So shop carefully, peoples with not much seatpost exposed currently, or wierd frames that don't allow the minimum insertion.
    Yeah, my FSR was hard to fit. I had three different shops here all,looking for me, and they couldn't come up with one that would work. Then I was up in BC complaining while visiting a shop there. The guy said, "let me see your bike - hey, this one will work". I basically handed him my card and didn't even ask how much. Not any than any of the others btw.

mtbr member
    I love my dropper post! Now that I have it, I'm constantly adjusting my seat height as the terrain changes. Lowering it going into tight switchbacks has helped me immensely. I have a KS Lev 100mm, which is really smooth and enough movement for me to really impact my riding.

HIghly recommend!

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I have been using a rockshox reverb dropper post for the last few months, and love it! Its great to not have to interupt your riding to adjust your seat , not only down but to get it back up quickly is such an advantage. Like if u do a techy down that you drop it for, but the run has a few ups you have to pedal inbetween. Im definately +1 for getting one

mtbr member
    Currently on a x-fusion HI/low (thanks gmats) on my bike. It needed locktite on the bolt for the seat rails or else the seat would slip up/down. I don't use the remote, as it goes between 2 bikes, so I can't comment on the ergo of it. I love it so much, I am thinking of getting my husband a reverb or KS lev for xmas. He has no idea how great it is, yet. If anyone has tried both the reverb and lev.....can you steer me one way or the other? Also, we ride Small sized frames, should we go 125 vs. 150?

mtbr member
    Aloha Jewels, so glad it's worked out. Still using mine on my Turner. Old school 27.2 size harder to find though more are available now but not wanting to spend the $$. I've used both the KS Lev and Reverb on various demo bikes (and friends bikes). I just much prefer the KS because it is cable actuated and easier to work with. Lucky guy gonna get blingy bike parts!!

Don't worry, be happy!
    Quote Originally Posted by jewels View Post
    Currently on a x-fusion HI/low (thanks gmats) on my bike. It needed locktite on the bolt for the seat rails or else the seat would slip up/down. I don't use the remote, as it goes between 2 bikes, so I can't comment on the ergo of it. I love it so much, I am thinking of getting my husband a reverb or KS lev for xmas. He has no idea how great it is, yet. If anyone has tried both the reverb and lev.....can you steer me one way or the other? Also, we ride Small sized frames, should we go 125 vs. 150?

I have a KS, DH has an X-fusion which has been nothing but trouble. It's been rebuilt once by the lbs, and then sent back under warranty and rebuilt by the company. Problem: it creeps all the time, it won't say in place in UP mode. I wouldn't buy another X fusion based on this experience.

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by SunnyNAZ View Post
    So I went to a three day skills class a couple of weeks ago and I learned a ton. We went through bike set up, then three days of drills and practice.

I came away with:

Practice all of the drills
    Look ahead to success!!
    May need to go back to wider bars
    Maybe a shorter stem
    Get a dropper post!

My questions: Do you have a dropper post? Why or why not? What kind do you have and what kind do you recommend? Do you think it makes a significant difference going downhill?

Once again, thanks in advance. You are all so very helpful!
    What I've gotten from clinics is if you're going to ride your bike, you need to keep your saddle out of the way. The only time mine is up is for uphills. It's hard to have your saddle up and corner, jumping, get over obstacles, etc. If you're yer spending too much time in yer saddle, then spend time doing squats so you can pedal with your seat down.

I use a dropper post. Had nothing but Gravity Droppers for ages. Simple, easy to maintain, best CS anywhere.

For me, on the DH it's down. I can maneuver the bike AND bail a lot easier (especially from behind) than if the saddle is up.

Another great use: climbing and getting under low hanging branches great for getting under things you don't think you would have.. imagine.. bike limbo.

I tried to ride the Sea Otter Sand Fondo (that should tell you what I thought about it) while my GD was under repair. BIG mistake. Once you gets used to having your saddle out of the way, you'll never go back.

However, make sure you get the right size post (of whatever type you want) that matches your bike. I tried to shim mine from 30.9 to 31.6 (it didn't work), and it was part of the motivation for writing this: How to Build Your Custom Mountain Bike | Mountain Biking for Women ? MTB4Her.com
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

I like mtn biking, too
    I used to just adjust the seat post manually with the quick release. The problem is eventually you miss lowering it once and end up flying over the bars. Ok, well that's what I did anyway.

Long dh's have a little climbing sometimes and vice-versa. It really is a game changer to not have to interrupt your flow. I drop my post on everything - like Stipes sez - only have the seat up for climbing!

I have both a gravity dropper and a reverb. I like the infinite adjustability and smooth, sleek, quiet action of the reverb. The GD is clunky, and only has 2 positions but it is easy to fix on the trail. Their CS is great. I hear great things about the KS lev too. Just avoid Crank Bro's!
    Never use your face as a brake pad.
    -Jake Watson

mtbr member
    Thanks once again for your help and guidance. It really makes a huge difference to be able to bounce this stuff off of you guys. Sweetie and I have decided to treat ourselves to droppers after the first of the year. Have not quite decided on brand but will figure that out. Leaning toward the Lev at the moment. Is there a down side to droppers? Maybe weight? Mechanical failure? Anything else?

Don't worry, be happy!

Dropper?

Thanks once again for your help and guidance. It really makes a huge difference to be able to bounce this stuff off of you guys. Sweetie and I have decided to treat ourselves to droppers after the first of the year. Have not quite decided on brand but will figure that out. Leaning toward the Lev at the moment. Is there a down side to droppers? Maybe weight? Mechanical failure? Anything else?
    Cost.

And getting the right fit. See my earlier posts about truncated seat posts and shims. The design of the button can also play into preferences if you get to choose.

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by formica View Post
    Cost.

And getting the right fit. See my earlier posts about truncated seat posts and shims. The design of the button can also play into preferences if you get to choose.
    What Formica said too. Shimming a Gravity Dropper didn't work for me. That was fun times.

Another thought: Not mechanical failure (other than Shredchic's warning about Crank Bros, she's right), but maintenance. Even the Gravity Dropper requires some regular maintenance every 6 months (replacing cables, etc). I have broken a Gravity Dropper before (see the Sand Fondo commentary) post snapped in half. Gravity Dropper replaced it without cost other than shipping, but if you get a Gravity Dropper, make sure the cable faces backward if you get one.

Some of the hydraulic posts might need to be bled more often, but I don't own them so I cannot say.

Dudette
    ^^ What Stripes and Formica said - agree on all counts. My Giant Trance X 29er came with the Giant Contact dropper post. I had never used one before; just always lowered my post by hand for technical stuff and steep downhills. As I had never had one, guess I didn't know what I was missing! Since I've been using the Contact dropper, I don't know if I can go back (at least if I'm riding anything other than pure xc. I love the adjustability and being able to change saddle height on the fly. Recently my post stopped working and I was like, well, if the shop can't fix it, what am I going to do? Let's be honest, they are a pricey upgrade, and they do break. But, the thought of going back to a regular post sucked. Luckily for me it was a simple cable tension thing. Whew! The only thing that does make me nervous is the reliability and the cost of replacement if you had to. But, I love having one.
    MTB4Her.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Interesting that women are liking the dropper posts even with the extra weight and maintenance. My bike came with one and I got rid of it. I am rethinking that decision and have starting looking for one.

Oh well - I should have tried it first and then decided whether I wanted it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I had a Reverb on my Mojo SL and I loved it for making climbing and long rides more comfortable for the past 1 1/2 years, as I could optimize my leg extension in all conditions, but still "get down" when I needed to.
    Then I spent 2-3 years mulling over whether I was too short for a 29er...at 65.5 inches...and finally demo'd a Ripley with a Lev dropper...woohoooooooooo

I feel like a dropper post is a MUST for a shorter rider on a 29er. It is hard enough to find a frame that has decent standover at my height. And for me to feel OK on steep exposed downhill switchbacks...my downhill nemesis...I need that seat down down DOWN...especially with the steeper head angle inherent to 29ers. That said, I LOVE the LEV on my Ripley...great action and reliability.
    I use it ALL THE TIME..it now feels as important as shifting gears. I could see going single speed before losing the seat dropper ! But my knees and back are getting old so that may have something to do with it ( :

Team Chilidog!

Dropper?

For me, functionality >> weight. Also I tend to break things

The other thing to note as far as weight goes, it's not rotational and it's not on the front of the bike. Those are the two places you'll notice it the most.

When I broke my dropper a couple years ago, I didn't notice the less weight at all. I noticed the missing functional part of my bike that was always there. So just some food for thought.