mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Does anybody have a Rocky Mountain Vertex Women's Bike

I'm a father and my 13 year old daughter has been using my Rocky Mountain 17" Rocky Oxygen Race (hardtail) bike for a few rides and seems to like it especially from the cheap no-name one she's had for a few years while still growing. I'm trying to get her into the sport early and she enjoys just about any sport and a lot of the elementary school team activities she's in.

I'm thinking of getting her a real bike and showed her the women's Vertex bike Rocky Mountain has advertised on their website. She likes the look of it and before I invest $$$ into yet another bike, does anybody have have an opinion on this bike?

She is about my height, 5'-6", 135 lbs and can ride my 17" hard and 18" full suspension element bike without much problem with stand-over height. Other than light trail and path riding, I've yet taken her off road but think she would like it because she does cross country running every year.

My LBS dealer probably won't stock this for a trail ride because of low volume sales so I can't get her to try it out. I know that the geometry of women frames are different because of how women are proportioned which is why I'm looking at a WSD bike. I am better off getting a smaller sized men's bike and have her use that in case she doesn't make as much use as I hope she would?

Any comments appreciated. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by tc23rmb
    I'm a father and my 13 year old daughter has been using my Rocky Mountain 17" Rocky Oxygen Race (hardtail) bike for a few rides and seems to like it especially from the cheap no-name one she's had for a few years while still growing. I'm trying to get her into the sport early and she enjoys just about any sport and a lot of the elementary school team activities she's in.

I'm thinking of getting her a real bike and showed her the women's Vertex bike Rocky Mountain has advertised on their website. She likes the look of it and before I invest $$$ into yet another bike, does anybody have have an opinion on this bike?

She is about my height, 5'-6", 135 lbs and can ride my 17" hard and 18" full suspension element bike without much problem with stand-over height. Other than light trail and path riding, I've yet taken her off road but think she would like it because she does cross country running every year.

My LBS dealer probably won't stock this for a trail ride because of low volume sales so I can't get her to try it out. I know that the geometry of women frames are different because of how women are proportioned which is why I'm looking at a WSD bike. I am better off getting a smaller sized men's bike and have her use that in case she doesn't make as much use as I hope she would?

Any comments appreciated. Thanks.
    I have two Vertex 30s ('06 and '07) -- love them. Neither are WSD. Your daughter is taller but that's only part of the equation.

By the way, fewer frame sizes for '07. You can compare on the Rocky Mt web page.

Good luck!