Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Do you ride with your fingers on your brakes?

• Yes, almost always

Votes: 15 41.7%
  • Whenever I think I might need to brake

Votes: 19 52.8%
  • No, only when actually braking

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • Brakes, what are those?

Votes: 0 0.0%

Do you ride with your fingers on your brakes?

1K views 15 replies 16 participants last post by  girlywhirly 
#1 ·
I thought I'd ask your opinions, and try out the Poll option just because it's there. But please feel free to post all comments, not just a vote in the poll.

The last time I got new brakes, I asked the LBS to adjust the levers so I didn't have to reach so far. They told me they like to ride with their fingers engaging the brake levers a little bit, which is why they set up the brakes to not engage right away. (I also prefer my brakes to be rather touchy, so that as soon as I start squeezing the levers, I starting braking. Whereas the way they had them set up, you squeeze for for a good half inch or so without any brake engagement.) Now, I am just not used to doing this. I don't put my fingers on my brake levers until I think I'm going to need to slow down. I've tried to change my habits, and give their method a try, but it is hard to teach an old dog new tricks. But if all you cool mtbers tell me this is how you do it, I'll make a concerted effort. :)

FWIW, I've got Hayes hydros fr and back on my bike. And my hubby kindly adjusted the reach to the levers for me, and the "grabbiness" of the brakes, even though he keeps trying to talk me into mushier, ummm, I mean a more modulated setup.

Spike

See less See more
#2 ·
I basically keep at least one finger (usually just my middle finger) on the brakes for all descents, whether I brake or not. Going uphill or in situations where I don't think I'll need to brake for a while, I don't bother. I think it's a good idea to keep a finger on the brake lever when you're descending/on crowded trails/etc. because it gives you a faster reaction time. If they're set up right it should be comfortable once you get in the habit. If you have small hands though, it might be worth looking at replacement levers that give you a better bend to match your hands.

#3 · (Edited)
Spike said:
I thought I'd ask your opinions, and try out the Poll option just because it's there. But please feel free to post all comments, not just a vote in the poll.

The last time I got new brakes, I asked the LBS to adjust the levers so I didn't have to reach so far. They told me they like to ride with their fingers engaging the brake levers a little bit, which is why they set up the brakes to not engage right away. (I also prefer my brakes to be rather touchy, so that as soon as I start squeezing the levers, I starting braking. Whereas the way they had them set up, you squeeze for for a good half inch or so without any brake engagement.) Now, I am just not used to doing this. I don't put my fingers on my brake levers until I think I'm going to need to slow down. I've tried to change my habits, and give their method a try, but it is hard to teach an old dog new tricks. But if all you cool mtbers tell me this is how you do it, I'll make a concerted effort. :)

FWIW, I've got Hayes hydros fr and back on my bike. And my hubby kindly adjusted the reach to the levers for me, and the "grabbiness" of the brakes, even though he keeps trying to talk me into mushier, ummm, I mean a more modulated setup.

Spike
Personally, I like a pretty short reach on my brake setup. My levers practically touch the bars. If you think about it you can apply more force at your second knuckle than you can at the first (finger tip). With the brake lever set to engage closer to the bars you can apply more force and apply it longer before fatigue sets in. As in most cases when it comes to bike setup, people have their preference and everyone thinks their way is best... like me ;)

[edit]
As for keeping the fingers on the brakes.... guess I never really thought about it. I tend to think I don't unless I'm approaching something techy. I also use bar-ends while climbing, so on fingers on the brakes there.
[/edit]

#4 ·
I think we all can get used to things and it not necesasarily wrong, just different.

The way you describe liking your brakes is fine, IMHO, and you should have it that way if you wish. Sounds like you gave their suggestion a dutiful trail period. Do what works best for you.

I took my bike for new chain once and the wrench "stiffened up" my front fork for me because he thought it was too mushy. He weighed 50 lbs more too :rolleyes: I hate that kind of stuff.

I never gave it a whole lot of thought until this thread but I am a one finger braker now and I like the brakes to engage fairly quickly. None of that 1/2 inch pull first stuff for me. seems like of you do that you end up riding around with your fingers prepared to brake all the time. Leading to fatigue and less control of the handle bar possible.

I pretty much only move my fingers to the brake lever when needed or in anticipation of need like on decents like mentioned above. I also brake fairly evenly between front and back feathering.

#5 ·
Personal preference

I always ride with a couple fingers on the brake on descents or twisties, or if I'm riding right behind someone. I love my Maguras, which have tons of modulation and allow me to really finess my braking. I am way more confident while descending with the disc brakes than I was with rim brakes. I leave my fingers on the bar if I am climbing or while riding obstacles or rocky flat sections.

#6 ·
"2 fingers"

When we were first learning to really ride on the trails, our instructors would very strongly encourage all participants to keep "2 fingers on the brakes" at all times. The thought being that there isn't any delay should you suddenly need to use the brakes - whether going downhill, JRA, or going uphill. They taught us 2 fingers cuz most people at that time had v-brakes, so being "girlies" we needed the extra finger strength. When I got my hydro discs, it took a while for me to convert to 1-finger on the brakes, but now that is pretty natural for me. The only time I keep all fingers on the bars is when I'm trying to do launches and things like that - need maximum strength on the bars and definitely don't want to accidentaly apply the brakes!!

I have a great dislike for "skinnies" (which for me, is anything narrower than a sidewalk, higher than a curb :) ) and a technique I have adopted is to apply a little bit of braking pressure and pedaling at the same time. Seems to keep the bike - and me! - more secure.

Leah.

#8 ·
Spike said:
I also prefer my brakes to be rather touchy, so that as soon as I start squeezing the levers, I starting braking...... I don't put my fingers on my brake levers until I think I'm going to need to slow down.
I'm the same way. I want the brakes to engage sooner rather than later and I don't grab lever until I need to.

#9 ·
Ditto here....

CycleMainiac said:
I took my bike for new chain once and the wrench "stiffened up" my front fork for me because he thought it was too mushy. He weighed 50 lbs more too :rolleyes: I hate that kind of stuff.

I never gave it a whole lot of thought until this thread but I am a one finger braker now and I like the brakes to engage fairly quickly. None of that 1/2 inch pull first stuff for me. seems like of you do that you end up riding around with your fingers prepared to brake all the time. Leading to fatigue and less control of the handle bar possible.

I pretty much only move my fingers to the brake lever when needed or in anticipation of need like on decents like mentioned above. I also brake fairly evenly between front and back feathering.
I have the same braking style as you. My bar/grip/lever/brake setup allows me to dial the pads in tight and safely one-finger brake down all but the steepest slopes. The lever throw is very short to full engagement of the brakes.

The more experienced I get, the less I use my brakes. I think it's one of the toughest concepts to master in riding. When I was a sketchy beginner rider, everytime I was unsure/unbalanced/scared/startled I would grab the brakes. Now I know it's one of the worst things to do. If your front end washes out on a turn and you brake, you're falling. If you tap the brake (still a reflex) and let it go the forward motion will right the bike.

On a mechanical note. With my first disc brake system, the bike shop set them up MUSHY every time. I finally got fed up and bled and set them up myself. From there on out, if I had the shop do any work on my bike I would say "don't TOUCH my brakes!". I'm the same way now - usually not even my husband is allowed to mess with my brakes and I don't touch his. We like different brake feel. I think shops might set brakes mushy on floor bikes so unsuspecting customers don't endo on the parking lot test ride!

But the gist of it is, figure out how you like your bike dialed in. Don't be afraid to try making small adjustments yourself to figure it out. Just learn your how your equipment works. Also, watch the shop make adjustments to your bike and learn from there. And once you know it's right for you don't let anyone else touch it without your express permission!

#11 ·
I guess i'm in a lonely group - I'm one of those people who likes no engagement for the first bit of lever pull. it's because i have small hands, and my levers don't adjust inward enough. on descents i keep my fingers (two, v-brakes) on the levers, partly pulled in but not engaged, so that i can feather easily. but i don't keep my fingers there all the time. just in anticipation.

#12 ·
It's been so long I barely remember!

I haven't got out on either my DH or XC bike yet this year! And only once on the road bike. At almost the end of May, how pathetic is that? But I digress....

But you described exactly the way I like my brakes to feel too. I have hydraulic discs on my DH and maguras on my XC, and really prefer them to engage right away. Especially when DH'ing as it can be more tiring if the engagement is mushier.

I say keep them the way you want them. There's no reason to change your preference.

Mary Ann (weather and job willing, next Friday is the inaugral xc ride!)

#13 ·
I ride with two fingers on the brakes

Usually my rear always and now I am trying to use my front brakes more so probably half the time. The only time I don't is when I am really pulling up a hill. Of course I am still pretty new to this all (got my bike about 7-8 weeks ago) and worry about losing control when I am haulin' arse :D

#14 ·
little b said:
I guess i'm in a lonely group - I'm one of those people who likes no engagement for the first bit of lever pull. it's because i have small hands, and my levers don't adjust inward enough. on descents i keep my fingers (two, v-brakes) on the levers, partly pulled in but not engaged, so that i can feather easily. but i don't keep my fingers there all the time. just in anticipation.
Nope you are not the only one. I am with you there. I like a little feather room. My front brakes have lots of room before engagement and that has saved me from many an endo I think.

Sabine

#15 ·
Same brake set up for me

little b said:
Hey little b: I'm glad you leave your brakes "mushy"...made it much easier for me to borrow your bike at GITA, and not kill myself on that first techie bit on Winsor! :)

My brakes are set up just the same as your's...also because I have small hands. I've tried setting things up so that the brakes engage right when I start to pull them in, but I can't reach far enough to engage the levers AND hold onto the handlebars. (and yep, the levers are adjusted all the way in).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.