Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Dirt Series Bike Camp anyone?

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  mtb_mud_honey 
#1 ·
Hey Ladies,
I just registered for the Dirt Series Bike Camp, anyone else planning on attending this year. Registration started today, I had to sign up early because last year filled up and I couldn't get in...

For those of you who attended before, what was you experience like?

Crash

#2 ·
Hi crash-

where are you attending the Dirt series at? I've heard nothing but great reviews and I think connie posted a great review a while back, do a search for it. We already booked our flights and condo for this summer at whistler. Can't tell I'm excited can you:D It'll be 12 days for my 39th b-day! A dirt series happens to land on one of the weekends we arrive, so I am thinking of it. I've done spokeswomen's 2x and they have been excellent but their schedule is not out yet. Both formats are the same I believe, so I guess it boils down to location. I will for sure do another camp again this year.

My experience w/ dirt camp has been excellent. For me, it's helped me tremendously with facing the fear thing. That's what's holding me back, but I'm working on it. Maybe it's a female thing as my BF doesn't over analyze like me. We all have some level of bike skills already, but they teach you how to piece them together for specific obstacles. The coaches are wonderful and it feels so good to progress.Maybe a WL camp would be fun. 3 of us girls hired a private coach for a day last year and it was a huge progression day for us.

#3 ·
I'm taking it in Calgary, May 17-18. I was thinking of taking it at Whistler, since we are going to be there in July, but I thought it would be better to take it sooner so I could practice my skills. Fear and confidence are what I think is holding me back too, I took two really bad falls off my bike last season, (nothing broken, just really bad bruises) now I can't seem to shake it off. My hubby as supportive as he is just doesn't know how to teach in a way I understand (he's been dirt biking, BMXing, and such since he could walk!) so this year I thought I would give it a try! I'm super excited for this season, and I really want this to be the year to step up my skills.

#4 ·
me too

I'd like to go to a camp, but I'm not sure which one -- I just want to be a better XC rider and get over fear of ledges, steep rocky drops and stuff like that. I don't want to freeride or anything like that. Oh yeah, and get better at wheelie up stuff, I can now sort of get my wheel on a ledge but then can't follow through with the up part yet, e.g. the power and weight shift, however, I'm psyched to be brave enough to pop my wheel and try now. Still working on corners and switchbacks -- it's all good, I see small progress and it's fun.

#5 ·
I did the Dirt Series camp last April in San Rafael and it made a HUGE difference for me. I'd only been riding about three months and had really hit a wall with confidence after some nasty falls too. The camp was great because it had something for people at all levels. As a beginner, I realized I didn't really know anything and just getting a good foundation of basics like braking and controlling my balance made so much more possible. And besides just basic skills, I got introductions to things like getting up and over obstacles, high-speed cornering, tight switchbacks, going off small drops, etc. I actually signed up to go back this year (Santa Cruz in May!) and I'm trying to get a couple of my girlfriends to come too. With a good year of riding and improving those beginner skills, I'm looking forward to focusing on taking it to the next level. I really want to learn how to do jumps and wheelie drops. It was so great too just to be in a camp full of women. I mostly ride with men, and though they're all really supportive, it's just a different feeling riding with other women. The main reason I went last year was for the fear and confidence, but I got SO MUCH out of it than that. Anybody else gonna be at the Santa Cruz camp?

#7 ·
Thanks for the good words everyone, we're looking forward to another great season (though trails in Vancouver are still under snow at the moment!) :) We're enthusiastic about returning to California, Calgary, Park City (2 camps planned) as well as all the other locations, and heading to Golden, which is new for this year.

Here's the link to Connie's report from Park City last year:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=317175&referrerid=262148

As Connie mentions, once you've signed up, we ask participants to fill out a questionnaire that we use to divide everyone into groups. This helps us match up skill levels and also gives you the opportunity to let us know what you want most out of the camp. At places where there is lift access, we'll also ask if you want to focus on DH or XC, or a bit of both.

I've heard that Spokeswomen won't be running this year (some of the coaches have coached for both Dirt Series and Spokeswomen in previous years), though I'm not sure of exact details.

It'll be great to meet some of you at the camps (though I'll mostly be at the North Van and Whistler ones).

Cheers,
Penny D (Dirt Series Coach)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.