mtbr member

DH or freeride lite bike for 5'2" woman

I am am hoping you all can help me out. I am looking for a mini-dh/light freeride bike for a fit and strong smaller woman. She is about 5'2" and 110lbs or so. Powerful upper and lower body, otherwise slender. She rides A-line level at Whistler and is fast enough to huck-to-flat on accident. Currently, she is on a burly AM rig: coil rear, with a 160mm Fox Vanilla fork (I think it is a TREK Slash). She could really use a more dedicated bike for Whistler, and I might convince her to race some DH this year. So a lightweight Mini-DH or Light Freeride bike would be perfect. The problem is size.

I've searched MTBR and read several threads. There used to be a Transition 250, but they don't make it anymore. And the T450 is only size small, and its larger than some of the others. The Canfield Bros Jedi looks smallish for a "S" frame. Knolly makes only Small. A Nicolai could be custom built, but their stock Ion specs 27.5" wheels. Titus doesn't make XS anymore (or the right geo) ditto Turner. Norco Aurum reach is 394mm, so it's practically a medium. Banshee Legend might work, with a reach of 351mm, it is the smallest I could find. The Glory lists XS for 2014, but they don't give any specs for it (only specs for S, M, L so I don't even know if it will exist). Also most of these are full DH rigs, which for a 110lb rider, might be overbuilt. I would really like to find a lighter frame, but one that had proper DH, or near DH geometry.

Are there any manufacturers I am missing? Is there anything out there custom that I should consider (aside from Nicolai)? Cost is not really important.

Thanks in advance!
    Regional Race Manager, Knolly Bikes
    Washington State, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa
    ~~~KNOLLY KNATION RACING~~~

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Pivot makes some of the smallest DH bikes I've ever seen.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    What about a syren? It's a pretty burly bike that comes in under 7.5lbs with a shock in small but will fit her frame. With a -1.5 angleset and a 180mm single crown you can get the steering angle down to about 65. Obviously you'd have to buy used.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by epic View Post
    Pivot makes some of the smallest DH bikes I've ever seen.
    Thanks! It looks like the Mach 6 Carbon comes in an XS, but its only 6" travel. The Firebird and the Phoenix DH are only Small. But I agree, those look good....especially the Mach 6 carbon:

http://www.pivotcycles.com/pdf/2013/Mach6.pdf

@kan3: I would prefer not to buy a used bike. Maybe as an interim bike only. As far as I know none of the Pro women are running any WSD frames, I may be wrong though, I suppose many of them can get custom one-offs.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rdhfreethought View Post
    Thanks! It looks like the Mach 6 Carbon comes in an XS, but its only 6" travel. The Firebird and the Phoenix DH are only Small. But I agree, those look good....especially the Mach 6 carbon:

http://www.pivotcycles.com/pdf/2013/Mach6.pdf
    The legend still looks like a better bike for your purpose than the mach 6 and it's similar in fit to the extra small pivot. The mach 6 does tick the weight box you're looking for as the small should come in under 6lbs with shock compared to the 8.5lb legend.

aka red
    Specialized makes the Demo in XS; and it seems to be the bike of choice for most of the smaller women I know & ride with (mostly in Whistler). Yes, it is a full on DH rig, but I personally haven't found it "overbuilt" (I'm 5'2", 115). My stock Demo 8 isn't particularly light, but it would be easy enough to make a few switches to lighten it up. (Unfortunately, I don't think they make the carbon frame in XS). I found it to be a really great fit for me.

I was previously on a Knolly, which I found too big. Noel's made some changes though, so I'll be back on a podium next year.

I also spent some time this summer on a Trek Session. It's a phenomenal bike for jumping, but like the Podium, I found it too big for me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtb_mud_honey View Post

I was previously on a Knolly, which I found too big. Noel's made some changes though, so I'll be back on a podium next year.

I also spent some time this summer on a Trek Session. It's a phenomenal bike for jumping, but like the Podium, I found it too big for me.
    Thanks for the response...

You mean geo change from the Gen1 to Gen2 Podium or upcoming Gen3? Maybe, I need to talk to Noel! (I have 3 Knolly's)

aka red
    I've still got a 1st gen v-tach in xs And I love my Chilcotin (size s).

No, not the Gen3 geometry...but perhaps worth a chat with Noel. Wheelbase and chainstay length are shorter than the 1st gen.

A friend put together a comparison chart for me... The podium ends up being between the Demo and the Session.
    DH or freeride lite bike for 5'2" woman-image.jpg

I suspect it won't fit quite as well as the demo, but I've got a few other reasons for switching back too.