mtbr member
    Dec 2013

determining my size in Men's shoes?

So I want to buy some winter MTB shoes....I'm looking at Lake or 45North. But they are men's sizes. I normally wear a 6 ˝ in normal women’s street shoes so trying to determine what size that would equate to in men’s winter cycling shoes is quite a challenge. Any tips? No shops around here have them in stock so I will be buying online.

Team Chilidog!
    Usually the website of the shoe make will include the comparable size. usually a mens size is a 1 size lower than an equivalent women's.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Thanks. I did notice at least one of the sites had that. Wasn't sure how accurate that was but I will look into that.

Moderator Moderator
    I like to compare the euro sizes as those are unisex and seem to vary a bit less across brands. See if you have some bike or athletic shoes that have the euro size on the label (the number would be in the 30's or 40's, like 40.5), and that is a good starting point at least for which one to choose in the Lakes or 45N. I usually also try to see if people's reviews consistently say they run large or small.

Unfortunately, some mens' models may not be available in the equivalent of a 6.5 women's.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    I like to compare the euro sizes as those are unisex and seem to vary a bit less across brands. See if you have some bike or athletic shoes that have the euro size on the label (the number would be in the 30's or 40's, like 40.5), and that is a good starting point at least for which one to choose in the Lakes or 45N. I usually also try to see if people's reviews consistently say they run large or small.

Unfortunately, some mens' models may not be available in the equivalent of a 6.5 women's.
    So you are saying if I wear a 38 in women's I would wear a 38 in men's too? Yes you are correct that often there simply is no size in the men's small enough for me.

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by catsruletn View Post
    So you are saying if I wear a 38 in women's I would wear a 38 in men's too? Yes you are correct that often there simply is no size in the men's small enough for me.
    Yep, the EU sizes in the same across the board. I were usually between a 41.5 and a 42.5 in EU sizes. I actually find that easier to remember and much more consistent than the US sizes.

I also tend to be on the easier to find men's shoes because my foot is so wide. Your profile says Charlotte, NC. That's a pretty big city: you shouldn't have any problem finding shoes to try on there.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    thanks. Yeah Charlotte is big and we have a bunch of bike shops where I can try shoes. I have multiple pairs of MTB shoes and road shoes....but I can't find a shop that has winter mountain bike shoes. At least not in my area of town. So I know what my size is in normal cycling shoes but just wasn't sure about getting men's since I have never bought men's shoes before. And for some reason there seem to not be any women's winter shoes. I guess they figure only men ride in the winter or something.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    good news is I found a friend of mine who has a pair of Lakes and she is going to let me try hers on and see how they fit.

Moderator Moderator
    ^^That is good!

Another option for cold weather is grippy shoes (like 5.10's) and pinned platform pedals. It is warmer without the metal cleat underfoot, easier to escape if you need to, and you might like to try them in summer too for challenging terrain. Yes, maybe you will lose some small percent of efficiency, but you won't lose any fitness.

Rides with Scissors
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    Another option for cold weather is grippy shoes (like 5.10's) and pinned platform pedals. It is warmer without the metal cleat underfoot, easier to escape if you need to, and you might like to try them in summer too for challenging terrain. Yes, maybe you will lose some small percent of efficiency, but you won't lose any fitness.
    Another bonus for the grippy shoe/platform combo is lack of 'clogging' if you lived in an area that gets a lot of snow. I've found pedals that are OK in mud, but nothing works once the cleat is frozen in ice!
    Some days you're the dog, some days you're the hydrant.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Yeah I could try that also....have heard others recommend that too. Not sure yet which way I might go. Snow and ice isn't much of a concern around here. Every now and then we get snow but it doesn't last more than a day or two.