DaFaJa

Daughters first FS Bike

So I have a 15y/o daughter who has been riding a hard tail for 2 years, The other day I used a friends wife's Scott FS bike, She loved it over her HT, Now I am on the hunt for a FS for her, I just wanted to ask do you think I should get a Women's Specific Design or a unisex bike? Some of the girls who ride with my group say uni..Please tell me what and why??
    Thank you for any help -Paul
    2012 Trek Superfly 100 Carbon/ xx1 / xo type2
    Tampa FL USA

Dudette
    First, what kind of budget are you working with? I'd start there, first, then look at which bikes within that price range appeal to her - both women's-specific and unisex. Have her get fit so you know what would work for her in regards to top tube length, reach and standover. Generally speaking, women's-specific bikes have a shorter top tube and quite a few have a swoopy top tube to increase standover clearance. Shocks are generally set for someone who weighs a lot less than the average man. Take a good look at components and compare those. From my experience, it seems that women have to pay a premium to get the same quality components than those found on a unisex bike and sometimes with a weight penalty. More and more manufacturers offer bikes in xs size, which if your daughter is on the smaller size, might work for her. If you could give us an idea of how much you want to spend, though, it'd help us narrow down a list of suggestions for you.
    Last edited by petey15; 11-12-2012 at 04:03 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Womens specific or unisex really depends on personal preference and also how tall she is and her proportions. petey15 did a good job at listing out the differences in a women's bike. Maybe find a shop that has both type of bikes in your price range, and see if your daughter can test ride both? Also be forewarned, sometimes either kind of bike needs tweaking and different components to properly fit. For example, my road bike is a women's specific XL frame, but I had to go to the stem length found on their S bikes for a proper fit as my torso just isn't as long as my arms and legs so fit is wonky. When I ride a men's bike, I need a way shorter stem as well, and usually a different saddle as my sit bones are wider.

see me rollin, they hatin
    i buy bikes based on top tube length. i've owned both women and men's bikes. As long as they come in XS or S, i'm usually good. *shameless plug* i'm actually selling an XS FS bike!
    fap