Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Cuz Impy made me do it

811 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Fiona 
#1 ·
Unlike the rest of you AWESOME Bettys heading out to races and other epic adventures, I've just been trying to squeeze in a 35-40 minute lunch ride in after I pull the kid out of daycare & trade rigs with the husband. Fortunately I have lots of single track within range, and I have an established singletrack loop up on the ridge plus other diversionary routes when I feel like something else.

The season's 'ride report':
- I'm climbing faster than I ever have, most likely thanks to heading uphill as fast as possible until I think I'm gonna run out of air or puke so that I can squeeze just a leeeetle more out of the precious minutes alloted. All 3 chain rings will probably need replacing this winter, as I've been standing up and gunning it in progressively taller gears as I've gotten stronger and they're looking worn or bent or possibly even slightly broken... or some combination thereof... hard core,nonstop, gut-busting 'climb time' at the beginning of my primary riding route is usually around 15 minutes, although I've seen it as low as 13 minutes on a good day. It gets better from there. :)
- My technical skilz are better than ever, also because I'm attempting to cover as much ground in the precious minutes alloted. But the only air the bike got was when I had a total brain fart and leaned forward on a root-drop. I know because I landed on my shoulder, rolled onto my back, and somehow managed to see the bike fly right over to top of me and come crashing down beyond my head in the brush.... CLASSIC. Kinda interesting to return to the office covered in dirt, pine needles, and picking out a brazillion positively microscopic rose bush thorns too.
- A couple weeks ago I saw a coyote on top of the hill behind town, then a couple deer down at the bottom backside of the same hill on the same ride. I told the deer that they had nothing to worry about from me but a coyote was looking for them.
- Just the other weekend I discovered a new area kind of behind my house in the hills. A fence gate to get over, but this ride came complete with spectacular vistas and a very cold rattle snake that could only get off about 1 "TCH" from his tail every few seconds. Hope you found a spot to wait out winter buddy.....

Rain and freezing temps have returned to the Cascade mountains, so any rides from now on are pretty much stolen. Dog team is getting prepped for skijoring. This is a cobbled-together shot from my cell phone so that my sister, currently in the hospital trying to get through a stem cell transplant for leukemia, could vicariously enjoy some fall color before it succumbed to rain:

OH, and I got sick of worrying about CO2 cartridges and crappy pumps, did some research on our own fav website, and got one of these Topeak Mountain Morph pumps. HIGHLY recommended for anyone who really can't afford to mess around with flats, has broken a stem using a hand pump, and isn't bothered by a little extra weight:

And now that you're all hyperventilating with excitement and wonder, I'll leave you to someone who has a MTB coolness factor greater than -2. :p

See less See more
#3 ·
verslowrdr said:
- I'm climbing faster than I ever have, most likely thanks to heading uphill as fast as possible until I think I'm gonna run out of air or puke so that I can squeeze just a leeeetle more out of the precious minutes alloted.............
- My technical skilz are better than ever, also because I'm attempting to cover as much ground in the precious minutes alloted.

And now that you're all hyperventilating with excitement and wonder, I'll leave you to someone who has a MTB coolness factor greater than -2. :p
Being a parent of a young child *and* hitting the trails, let alone faster and more skillfully than ever? I'd say that's incredibly cool, and inspirational. Thanks!

#4 ·
Yeah, we all know Impy is one of those enabler-types. (Much like several others here) She posts great ride reports and encourages us all to get out there and ride, to improve our skills, and then post gorgeous pictures so others are suckered in too. :D ;)

Man, I'm jealous. It sucks having to go at least 30 minutes away to hit ST. It makes getting as much riding as I'd like hard. Thanks for the encouragement. I'm just going to have to try even harder now to hit some dirt.:thumbsup:

Fiona

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.