mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Crank Arm Length for My 5' Partner

Hi all. I'm building my 5' partner an XS Santa Cruz Nickel (there are some XS left on their website btw). I've been putting all the component together and would like to hear from similar height ladies on what your crank arm length are. I know that's crank arm length should be based on her inseam. However, I want to see what you ladies ride. Thanks a lot.

mtbr member
    I'm 5'1" with long legs for my height. I'm comfortably using SLX 170 crank arms. It looks like XT crank arms are available in 165's.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernina View Post
    I'm 5'1" with long legs for my height. I'm comfortably using SLX 170 crank arms. It looks like XT crank arms are available in 165's.
    Thanks Bernina for your input. I've been looking at the XT too but it's a bit much at $200. I'm doing a budget build for her at $2k so trying to spend less if possible. I'd like to go with some of the aftermarket cranks for more appropriate length but they're pretty expensive as well. Maybe with the holidays coming up, the XT will be below $200. Thanks again.

mtbr member
    How about getting her started with whichever cranks fit into the budget right now? You can always change them out later. Personally, I'd rather ride with cranks that were a little long than not ride at all

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Sneakyt....check your PM's
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

<100%
    She want a 1x - Sinz Expert come in the two sizes you are probably considering - 165 and 160 - for about $50, square taper or ISIS.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    My girlfriend is 5'1", and rides a set that I shortened to ~155mm. If you have access to some tools you can do it yourself, or you can buy them pre-shortened for cheaper than a full custom crank:
    Truvativ IsoFlow 175mm MTB crankarms Shortened to 153mm

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jsj3831 View Post
    She want a 1x - Sinz Expert come in the two sizes you are probably considering - 165 and 160 - for about $50, square taper or ISIS.
    Wow, that's awesome. Never heard of them before. The ISIS version is available from 135 to 180mm and the square taper is available from 115 to 180mm. http://www.sinz-racing.com/mainpages/cranks.html

Not sure about the isis and square taper bb though. How's the longevity and keeping dirt out? Thanks for the help.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by spsoon View Post
    My girlfriend is 5'1", and rides a set that I shortened to ~155mm. If you have access to some tools you can do it yourself, or you can buy them pre-shortened for cheaper than a full custom crank:
    I don't have the tools or the skills to shorten it, but it does sound interesting to be able to do it myself. Will definitely contact the site. Looks like the price is right.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    My wife has a 70cm inseam and according to the calculators should be riding a ~150mm crank set. She has been doing just fine on the 170mm cranks that came with her 13" Myka..but I doubt that she or I are experienced enough to know the difference.

How does your girlfriend like the shorter cranks? Did she notice a difference? Does hill climbing take a hit?

Thanks for the link, I may have to order a set for experimental purposes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Any longer than that and she gets knee pain. It's quite obvious when they're too long, because her legs and ankles are fully extended at the bottom and her knees are up in her chest at the top. With the 155's, it looks properly proportioned.

Going by leg length proportion, her 155mm are equivalent to 180mm for me (just under 6'), which is what I ride. If she were on 170mm, that would be like me riding cranks almost 200mm long! I'm pretty sure I wouldn't like that one bit.

I4NI
    Mark can shorten crank arms to 95mm if needed. Awsome guy to deal with! I have purchased about six cranks from him over the years because of my crash & knee replacment.
    There....Are... Four...Lights!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Awesome, thanks. She's had knee problems that are aggravated by biking, hopefully some new cranks help.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Good topic,

My wife is 5'1" also and this is good info. I am wondering how a 29'er works for someone this tall. I am looking to get her a new bike to ride with the family on the easy trails and to do some slightly more challenging trails in the mountains.

Any thoughts.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyote Dentist View Post
    Good topic,

My wife is 5'1" also and this is good info. I am wondering how a 29'er works for someone this tall. I am looking to get her a new bike to ride with the family on the easy trails and to do some slightly more challenging trails in the mountains.

Any thoughts.
    ^^^ this!! In the same boat

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    FWIW, I'm 5'1" with a 29" inseam. I started riding technical stuff on a bike with inadequate clearance and frequently crammed the bits into the top tube when I had to come off the saddle fast and in a slightly forward position. Now I won't consider attempting any new obstacles on a bike with less than 2.5" stand over clearance. That pretty much rules out 29'ers for me.

Your wife may still be fine on a 29'er as long as she is fully capable of handling anything that she encounters on the trails. I sure wouldn't use a 29'er to learn how to ride new obstacles at her height, though. Be sure to check foot/tire overlap if she decides to try a 29'er and will be riding tight, twisty stuff.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jkidd_39 View Post
    ^^^ this!! In the same boat

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
    LOL. I have been sitting here trying to fugure out what "^^^ this" means.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernina View Post
    FWIW, I'm 5'1" with a 29" inseam. I started riding technical stuff on a bike with inadequate clearance and frequently crammed the bits into the top tube when I had to come off the saddle fast and in a slightly forward position. Now I won't consider attempting any new obstacles on a bike with less than 2.5" stand over clearance. That pretty much rules out 29'ers for me.

Your wife may still be fine on a 29'er as long as she is fully capable of handling anything that she encounters on the trails. I sure wouldn't use a 29'er to learn how to ride new obstacles at her height, though. Be sure to check foot/tire overlap if she decides to try a 29'er and will be riding tight, twisty stuff.
    This makes sence. It has been many years since I have purchased a bike so the 29er thing is new to me. I have been trying some out and I do feel a difference. She isn't very experienced off the beaten path. This helped out a lot. Thanks