mtbr member

The couple's ride - hilarious!

This was just too funny, had to share

http://m.pinkbike.com/news/Bike-Coup...ideo-2013.html

mtbr member
    That's a riot!

Slothful dirt hippie
    OK, that's just awesomesauce!

FWIW we've been riding together for 20+ years and we've got a slightly better system worked out... mostly... :P
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    That was very funny. Thanks for sharing!

Know a few guys like that - LOL.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    My wife laughed so hard she cried!! That was her not 2 weeks ago( the whining)

Rides with Scissors
    I dated a guy like that once... Pretty much convinced me that riding solo was a much better option.
    Some days you're the dog, some days you're the hydrant.

Dudette
    Soo funny! I really enjoyed the "role reversal" on that one. Not at all what I had initially expected

pin it
    That was funny! It made Grumpy cat smile

Good post!
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    BF and I both enjoyed this! I actually quoted it a few times on our Sunday ride
    I drank the 29er koolaid- turns out it was POWERade

mtbr member
    May 2012
    it is so odd, am I the only one offended by this video? I found it did nothing to support getting women in the sport. If it wasn't just one sided, it wouldn't have been so bad. While I fully admit to doing many of these things, bringing all us passionate women riders down to this stereotype just seems wrong, especially without showing the male stereo type too??? Just me??

Slothful dirt hippie
    Quote Originally Posted by cleopatra999 View Post
    it is so odd, am I the only one offended by this video? I found it did nothing to support getting women in the sport. If it wasn't just one sided, it wouldn't have been so bad. While I fully admit to doing many of these things, bringing all us passionate women riders down to this stereotype just seems wrong, especially without showing the male stereo type too??? Just me??
    I actually love turning stereotypes on their head like this. And if you look again I think you'll see a fair number of male stereotypes represented in said vid also... it's just more subtle.

FWIW my husband has TOTALLY done that barrage of "What is this trail like? Is it like X trail? Does it do Y?" while I'm standing there going "...... uh......"

Don't worry, be happy!
    Nope not just you but I was waiting for someone else to say something. Either I didn't get the humor because I'm looking into a mirror, or I didn't get it because in general the whining and eye rolling portrayed is pretty far off from my experience. Not that we haven't had a few marital meltdowns on the trail, but whining and whimpering by either sex isn't tolerated at our house.

mtbr member
    I thought it was very funny, sorry if anyone was offended by me posting the video. We were all beginners once, and I'm sure we've all found ourselves saying some of these things. I love that it turned the stereo types upside down. I think there are probably plenty of women who have introduced their partners to mountain biking. It's hard in the beginning, and I think the video highlights how hard it can be.

Rock n' Roller
    I thought it was hilarious.

I had a pretty elaborate breakdown on Reno/Flag/Bear/Deadman's last week that involved a lot less tears and whole lot more cursing.

From my personal experience, some of the girls and guys for that matter that I ride with are far more concerned with image and are fearful of failing, which translates to many of the questions and moments seen in the video. They are more concerned with how they are perceived as riders as opposed to simply enjoying the ride and riding their trail, their way.

Have fun, challenge yourself, see what happens, and ride your ride - not someone else's.

And lighten up. Laugh a little; you'll be happier.

Don't worry, be happy!
    My take on it was not that mountain biking is hard. I saw it as a presentation of a role reversal for a stereo typed relationship dynamic that certainly must exist, just not in my universe. At least not too much. I was not offended - I just didn't think it was funny. Not everyone has the same sense of humor and we all have different perceptions and experiences.

mtbr member
    Seemed sexist to me. Different strokes, I guess.

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by skarin View Post
    This was just too funny, had to share

Video: Bike Couples' Ride - Pinkbike
    My husband and I just watched it together Thanks for sharing. We both got a good laugh.

Then he says, "Was I like that?"

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by cleopatra999 View Post
    Darcy is a good enough rider that she probably has had this type of experience in her life.

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by verslowrdr View Post
    I actually love turning stereotypes on their head like this. And if you look again I think you'll see a fair number of male stereotypes represented in said vid also... it's just more subtle.

FWIW my husband has TOTALLY done that barrage of "What is this trail like? Is it like X trail? Does it do Y?" while I'm standing there going "...... uh......"
    This. My husband and I totally got it. My husband used to actually do stuff like that, but he's now a better rider than me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    My takeaway was that certain behaviors are ridiculous/irritating no matter who perpetrates them. ie. The problem is not gender, it's silly behavior.

Slothful dirt hippie
    Quote Originally Posted by spsoon View Post
    my takeaway was that certain behaviors are ridiculous/irritating no matter who perpetrates them. Ie. The problem is not gender, it's silly behavior.
    this. Exactly.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by spsoon View Post
    My takeaway was that certain behaviors are ridiculous/irritating no matter who perpetrates them. ie. The problem is not gender, it's silly behavior.
    Bingo. If someone cries that this is sexist, perhaps it is their own bias that colors their impression of this. Geez people, lighten the hell up.

mtbr member
    If you find it hilarious, great. Iím not trying to change your mind. I posted that I thought it was sexist because sometimes itís nice to tell other lonely dissenters that theyíre not crazy.

And Iím still not trying to change anyoneís mind, but Iíll try to clarify where Iím coming from. To me, the basic joke of that video is having a guy act out all the Ďannoying things girlfriends do on mountain bike rides with their boyfriends.í I donít see it portraying annoying rider behavior, I see it portraying annoying female rider behavior. Itís supposed to be funny because itís a guy doing it.

To me, this video ridicules women. Iím put off by it the same general way I would be by a video of a black man and a white man where the white guy is eating fried chicken and watermelon and leering at the black women. Or a Jew and a WASP and the WASP is trying to squeeze every last dime out of the Jew. Or a gay man and straight man and the straight man is lisping and fondling 5 year-olds.

Now, those examples are all a lot more offensive to me than a whiny hormonal boyfriend on a bike, but the basic premise of the humor--ďisnít it a riot when a #1 does all the bad things #2s always doĒ--seems the same. Iím sure some people would think all those videos are hilarious and clever and demand that anyone not laughing lighten up. Just not how I see it.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by OldManBike View Post
    If you find it hilarious, great. Iím not trying to change your mind. I posted that I thought it was sexist because sometimes itís nice to tell other lonely dissenters that theyíre not crazy.

And Iím still not trying to change anyoneís mind, but Iíll try to clarify where Iím coming from. To me, the basic joke of that video is having a guy act out all the Ďannoying things girlfriends do on mountain bike rides with their boyfriends.í I donít see it portraying annoying rider behavior, I see it portraying annoying female rider behavior. Itís supposed to be funny because itís a guy doing it.

To me, this video ridicules women. Iím put off by it the same general way I would be by a video of a black man and a white man where the white guy is eating fried chicken and watermelon and leering at the black women. Or a Jew and a WASP and the WASP is trying to squeeze every last dime out of the Jew. Or a gay man and straight man and the straight man is lisping and fondling 5 year-olds.

Now, those examples are all a lot more offensive to me than a whiny hormonal boyfriend on a bike, but the basic premise of the humor--ďisnít it a riot when a #1 does all the bad things #2s always doĒ--seems the same. Iím sure some people would think all those videos are hilarious and clever and demand that anyone not laughing lighten up. Just not how I see it.
    Thank you Oldmanbike. this is exactly how I see it. I know many women, especially beginners who this makes them feel worse about who they are as bikers, even if they are trying their hardest. The comments on (non female specific) forums that posted it have been very sexist....'that's why I don't bike with my girlfriend, I am never taking a woman biking etc etc' Whether or not people are serious about these comments it puts a very dark light on women in mountain biking and especially those of us trying to get more women into the sport.

PS I have a great sense of humour, and still stand by the idea that they could have done this video more fairly and less one sided. Just my 2c worth. I don't judge any of you for finding it funny, don't judge me for finding it sexist and saying I need to lighten up.

mtbr member
    Tongue-in-cheek comedy sketch. If you don't find it funny just move on. Yes it's taking the piss out of women but so what? Im sure you can find some taking the piss out of men. Life's to short, get over yourselves.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast