mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Convert to 1x10?

Hey ladies! Just got a new bike a few weeks ago. 2012 Trek full carbon lush 26'. I never change the front gears, always stay on the middle ring. Would it be worth investing the money to convert from 3x10 to 1x10? Look forward to hearing your thoughts!

mtbr member
    Welcome! I currently run a 2x10 which I find to be just right for me. There is only one redundant combination on this set up as opposed to three on my 3x9. I am enjoying the change. I wouldn't be in too big of a hurry on the 1x11, though. Get to know your bike and you will find that as you ride more, you will naturally use the other rings more.

Enjoy your new bike!

mtbr member
    It would depend largely on your ability of a rider. Going to a 1x10...you will lose the low gearing of the 24T up front.

If you come up on a long or steep climb...having too high of a gear can suck.
    Cervelo S2
    Specialized Carve Pro
    Pivot Mach 5

Slothful dirt hippie
    It doesn't just depend on the rider's ability but also what you're riding. I can nab 1500' of vert on my lunch hour ~6 mile loop and spend more time in my granny gear than the others fo sho (running 3x9). My knees thank me for not getting carried away mashing up all the stupidly steep pitches.
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

mtbr member
    I agree terrain and fitness are important factors. But also consider your reasons for riding and style.

For me, I like the simplicity of a 1x10. VT is a lot of short steep climbs, so the early season lack of fitness kills me, but by mid-season I'm good and strong. I don't really race (other than the occasional Enduro), so since riding is for fun, I don't care if I'm slow on the climbs.

1X will change your style significantly...if you like to sit and spin, you might not like a 1X. You will spend a LOT more time standing, which frankly I like. I have bad knees and going 1x with flat pedals has made riding so much more enjoyable for me.

For years I ran 1X9 with my old triple crank...just removed the big ring and installed a BBG bashguard, removed the granny ring and installed a bottom bracket mounted chainguide.

I went for a larger range rear cassette to compensate a little for my lack of a granny. On my 1X9 I had a 32T front and 11-34 rear, now with 1X10 I still run a 32T front and a 11-36 rear...nice range of gearing for almost any terrain.

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by 8valvegrowl View Post
    I agree terrain and fitness are important factors. But also consider your reasons for riding and style.

For me, I like the simplicity of a 1x10. VT is a lot of short steep climbs, so the early season lack of fitness kills me, but by mid-season I'm good and strong. I don't really race (other than the occasional Enduro), so since riding is for fun, I don't care if I'm slow on the climbs.

1X will change your style significantly...if you like to sit and spin, you might not like a 1X. You will spend a LOT more time standing, which frankly I like. I have bad knees and going 1x with flat pedals has made riding so much more enjoyable for me.

For years I ran 1X9 with my old triple crank...just removed the big ring and installed a BBG bashguard, removed the granny ring and installed a bottom bracket mounted chainguide.

I went for a larger range rear cassette to compensate a little for my lack of a granny. On my 1X9 I had a 32T front and 11-34 rear, now with 1X10 I still run a 32T front and a 11-36 rear...nice range of gearing for almost any terrain.
    I ran a 1x10 with a 28T and 30T with an a 11-36 cassette. I switched back to a 2x10 (38/26) with the 11-36 cassette. Why? My hips did not appreciate it. Most people point at the knees as a reason, but it's more for that reason than anything for me. There's a lot of long extended hills here ("Welcome to California, now go climb your bike").

Do I prefer a 1x setup? Absolutely! I hate front derailleurs.

But, I'm going to wait until the bugs are worked out (and hopefully Shimano has an offering) before going to the 1x11. The SRAM shifter requires too much force for my previously injured right wrist to use.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

Slothful dirt hippie
    P.S. Length of your target rides also becomes a factor. IMO you can only mash so long. For those big back country rides I love so much, conserving power is a high priority. Burn all your matches early and you'll be doing a death-march for hours.... spin up 'em and you'll be enjoying the experience a whole lot more.
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

mtbr member
    Aloha, here where I ride, I rarely if ever really need a granny. I run a 29 middle and 42 big ring. I've purposely geared my bike super low, something like a rock-crawler 4x4 that could be driven to the trails without much need to really spin super high speed big gears. However, I've kept my 20t granny just in case because I travel all over the place and never know what I'm going to find. Especially after 5-7 days of rides in many places, the hills can be long and never ending. I also like to climb to the tops instead of shuttling before I do my long descents. Sort of like paying my dues.

In the end, that's just my preference, gearing is certainly personal on the type of riding you like to do and what you think you might anticipate. I know my answer's vague because it's what I've figured out to work for me, myself after 25+ years of mountain biking in all kinds of places.