Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Clueless man needs advice

892 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  CougarTrek 
#1 ·
Good day ladies,

Here is my problem, or rather my issue. I am a long time rider and would love for my wife to ride with me. (for what it's worth, she is 26) She has a nice bike and is really a natural when it come to mountainbiking. But, I think that riding with me gives her anxiety because I am so much better and more experienced at bike handleing. I try to teach her what to do, but as in some threads I have seen in this forum, my teaching style probably is not conducive to her learning style.

Also, she is under the impression that MTBing is a male sport, and we all know that women love to ride, too. I think that riding with other women would really help her out, but the few times I have approached a woman on the trail about riding with my wife, I have gotten the "oh this is a creepy guy" look from them.

So to make a long post get to the point, I guess I am looking for advice on how be more encouraging on the trail and for any women in the SF Bay area who might be willing to show her that MTBing is not just a 'guy' thing.

Thanks in advance.

#5 ·
mountainbikeloco said:
l and for any women in the SF Bay area who might be willing to show her that MTBing is not just a 'guy' thing.

Thanks in advance.
She got an extra bike and a ride? LOL. My mountain bike is very sadly in Ga, but I'd love to get out and ride something other than the roadie and I tend to be slower than molasses in Alaska ;) . (in the south bay, very close to stanford)

Also, I was at a bike shop this weekend looking at new mountain bikes because I'm going crazy and the guy in the shop gave me a card for mere mortals. Looks like a pretty cool and active club of guys and girls out to have a good time on bikes. They are probably a bit slow for you, but may be a good group for you and the wife to try out (or just the wife, if she wants to go without you). www.mere-mortals.org . If I get a mountain bike out here I'm going to try to catch some of their rides; they came highly recommended (but it sounded like that's the "home" LBS for a lot of the guys/gals).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.