Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Can't make up my mind--What would you do?

1K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  A girl from Seattle 
#1 ·
Well here's the deal... I ride a 16" Moots Rigormootis that I picked up used about a year ago for a great price. I would have never been able to get a Moots new, and I was stoked when the frame arrived. But when I took it out of the box, I immediately noticed something wrong. The seat tube measured 17.5" instead of 16". I found out that it is a 16" frame, but the geometry was different than the current models (i.e longer seat tube). I went ahead and had it built up, but it's always bugged me that the frame looks so big.

To compound the issue, it now seems that the top tube might be a bit long for me (22"). I had to put a 70mm stem on it to make it fit. It seemed fine, until I rode some really technical trails with steep climbs. I had trouble keeping the front wheel on the ground while climbing. I'm 5' 4 1/2" with a 30" inseam--the typical female body with long legs, short torso. My previous bikes were 15" frames with 21" top tubes, and while I don't remember the stem length, I'm thinking they were either 90mm or 100mm.

So now I'm thinking I should get a smaller frame. I've been considering a Yeti ARC size XS (15.5" seat tube and 21" top tube). It's a nice looking frame, but at an MSRP of $800, it doesn't exactly compare to a $2400 Moots frame. But a new Moots is out of the question. This decision is actually causing me so much stress, it's almost kind of silly. Maybe you girls will understand. Sometimes I feel like maybe I should just be grateful to have such a beautiful bike, even if it's not exactly the right size, and just ride it. But at other times I just want a smaller frame. I want it to be perfect.

Sorry this ended up so long, and thanks to all who take the time to read it. Tell me your opinion, and tell me what you'd do. Maybe it will help me make a decision, so I can stop stressing about it.

See less See more
#3 ·
Hi jckid,

I totally sympathize. It's hard to let go of a frame you love, and it's sometimes hard to judge whether you're just being nitpicky, or if your problem could be solved by better technique (i.e., having your head way over the bars on steep climbs so the front end doesn't lift up), or whether you have a legitimate problem.

That said, I'd say you have a legitimate problem. Chances are, if you think your bike doesn't fit you, it probably doesn't. You say you're 5'4.5" and your top tube is 22". For reference, I'm 5'8" and my last 2 bikes have had 21" top tubes and fit perfectly. I used to ride a bike with a 23" top tube and had that same feeling you have -- too stretched out, had to put a 70mm stem on which made it hard to keep the front end down on climbs, didn't turn as sharp as I wanted, etc. When I switched from medium to small frames with 21" top tubes, the difference was like night and day. Suddenly I could climb, corner, and lift my front end over logs a lot better. I was a lot more comfortable and the bike really came alive, feeling a lot more snappy and responsive. Granted, your Moots is an XC bike, so they're supposed to have a longer top tube, but just looking at the numbers it sounds like it might be a little long for your height, and your nagging feeling seems to confirm that.

Bottom line is, no matter how nice your bike is, you'll never be happy on it unless it fits you. Fit is the single most important thing in choosing a bike. So whatever bike you replace it with, it sounds like the Moots needs to go.

As for your new bike, it's not like the Rigormootis and the Yeti ARC are the only two bikes on the planet. You got a good deal on the Moots, so you can probably get a good deal on another nice frame. Use ebay, craigslist, and the mtbr classifieds. And while you're at it, have you considered moving away from the hardtails and getting a full-suspension frame? Modern full-suspension bikes can climb as well (or better) as hardtails, and are way more fun on the downhills. Your Moots, while a nice bike, is kind of old-school, so maybe this is a great opportunity to get something you'll like even more! Let us know what you decide! :)

#4 ·
Thank you to those of you that replied and PM'd me. After much thought, I think I am going to give the smaller frame a try. I've always felt that the Moots was a bit big, and I think the only way I will know for sure is to try the smaller frame. I won't sell the Moots immediately, just in case things don't work out, but I'm optimisitic and excited about the new frame.

Yes, I guess I am a bit old school, but I've only ridden hardtails and I'm happy with the ride, expecially with my Fox F80RL in the front. I've toyed with the idea of a full suspension bike, but now that I'm older, I'm not really into bombing down hills at 50mph like I was in my younger days, and that's where I think a FS rig would help the most. Plus, I'm currently set up with Crossmax SL's for v-brakes only and don't really want to buy a new disc wheelset, disc brakes, etc. I recently rode the Keyesville Classic trail, and that's about as techical as I get these days, so I think a hardtail should be fine.

Thanks again, and hopefully I'll have a full report and pics soon!

#5 ·
I've read your original post several times and it seems your only real complaint was trouble keeping the front wheel on the ground. Do you mean what some call a High Ho Silver when the front comes up? If so, I would consider that a plus. It's an indication that lifting the front end is easier for you than before and that is a good thing. When you learn to harness that power you will have much greater control and the ability to put your wheel up anywhere while climbing.

#7 ·
CycleMainiac said:
I've read your original post several times and it seems your only real complaint was trouble keeping the front wheel on the ground. Do you mean what some call a High Ho Silver when the front comes up? If so, I would consider that a plus. It's an indication that lifting the front end is easier for you than before and that is a good thing. When you learn to harness that power you will have much greater control and the ability to put your wheel up anywhere while climbing.
Well actually, I'm not happy about the seat tube length either. The frame is a 16" frame, but for some reason in 2004 they made the seat tube nearly 17.5". That also makes the bike feel big. It gives me less standover than I want, and less confidence in technical terrain.

As far as the top tube and climbing, I've always been a good climber. I often rode up hills that my (ex)husband would walk. When I did bike events, I always passed a lot of riders (both male and female) on the climbs. But with the Moots, I find myself walking up hills I could climb before, and I really feel that the difference must be the top tube/stem length.

At any rate, I'll give a shorter top tube/longer stem a try. If it works out as I'm hoping, I'll sell the Moots. If it doesn't, then I may consider keeping the Moots or trying something else.

#8 ·
Travis Bickle said:
Please read my reply in the beginners forum. I'm down to 70mm max for stems. I'm not saying that the frame fits or not but 70mm is not long for someone your size.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=383995
Thanks for the info. I took a look at your thread and the linked article. I definitely agree that a shorter stem makes the bike descend better.

As far as the new frame, it's not like I'm going to drastic lengths with the stem. I am going to try the new frame out with a 90mm stem to start. This will shorten my cockpit by about 1/4", which I think should be just about right. Worst case, I'd change to a 95mm or 100mm stem. I'm anxious to see how it works out. I can always keep the Moots and short stem if it doesn't, so I figure it's worth a try.

#9 ·
I have an XL frame

I am only 6 ft tall. I bought this bike because it was a screaming deal; brand new, last of the Santa Cruz Bonti Racelites, full XT, 25 lbs., for $1500. I finally ended up with a 105 mm stem.This at a time when stems were still seldom shorter than 120mm.

It is a very quick frame out of the corners and is a great climber; there is a lot of climbing in our neighborhood. In my heart I wished it was a large and knew it is not a perfect fit. This bike had far more ability than I had but I learned how to ride it. I have learned so much on this bike and continue to love it even after 8 years.

If you want to ride your Moots then you have to learn how to ride it. You have to learn how to move your weight around as needed; you have to be a more highly skilled rider.

#10 ·
Is your saddle in the optimum position for you? If you have not experimented with that too much, you might try to move it 10-15 mm forward if you can. (5mm at a time) and then you could move your stem to an 80 or 90. Weight balance is the key to keeping the front wheel down on steepish climbs.

If you try a new frame, take a look at chainstay length too. A little longer chainstay is better for seated climbing I have found. I can climb things on my 17.5" and 18" chainstayed 29ers that I could never do on my 16.5" chainstayed Sugars.

G

#11 ·
girl...if the bike doesn't fit, and doesn't ride well, and it doesn't make you SMILE :) everytime you ride it, then sell it and get something else! Moots bikes are definitely pretty...and i can appreciate your dilemma from that perspective for sure...but if it's too big, and sluggish, and hard to climb...then it's not the bike for you. i LOVE LOVE LOVE pretty bikes...but they also gotta ride as well as they look! :):D

#12 ·
Quote from A girl in Seattle: And while you're at it, have you considered moving away from the hardtails and getting a full-suspension frame? Modern full-suspension bikes can climb as well (or better) as hardtails, and are way more fun on the downhills. Your Moots, while a nice bike, is kind of old-school, so maybe this is a great opportunity to get something you'll like even more! Let us know what you decide! :)[/QUOTE]

OK. You made me think about this. The Yeti ARC I was going to get was used, and someone beat me to it. :mad: So now it looks like I have some time to think. I may still go with a new ARC, but I guess I'll check out some other frames as well.

I've never ridden a full suspension bike. Years ago, I never even considered one, because the early designs lacked performance and the frames were heavy. But riding with my Fox F80RL has made me realize just how far suspension technology has come since the days when I rode a basic Rock Shox fork with elastomers (i.e. pieces of foam!). And now that I'm older, I notice riding techical trails on a hardtail can be bone-jarring and not so forgiving on the back. So maybe you're right. Maybe it's time for me to modernize. I'm not sure, but I am going to give it some thought. The Yeti ASR looks nice, and it's pretty light. Any suggestions on other FS XC rigs that are light? I probably don't really need long travel.

#14 ·
Get a bike Fit

Why don't you get a professional bike fit with your Moots? For about $100-$150, you can find out exactly what's wrong with the fit on your Moots and see if there is anything you can do to make it fit. If your Moots is not the right size, a good biker fitter should be able to figure out the dimensions of a bike that does fit you. Try a bike fit at a location that has other bikes in smaller sizes, in case your Moots is so big, they can't figure out what would fit you. It would be money well spent.

#15 ·
I Think she'd be wasting her money. she doesnt like the way the bike looks and it is obviously too big for her. . they may fit her on the bike but she still wont be happy. her saddle will be way forward and her stem will be way short. she already doesnt like the looks of the bike, says it looks too big. she needs to bypass the pro fitting and just buy a new frame. moots still has a good resale value, and a 17" frame will fit the average size male and tall female.
she should be riding a frame that she can run a 90-100mm stem on and also have ample standover. her saddle should not be way forward as this messes up the angle from knee to pedal which is how saddle for and aft should be decided.
the bike is seriously too big. no pro fitter is going to fix that.

#16 ·
Bike Fit

Perhaps with a bike fitting she can find out what size bike she should be riding. That way she could avoid getting a bike that's still too big or too small and being back in the same situation a year from now - unhappy with the bike she has.

That's why I recommended she go to a fitter who has other bikes in stock so she can try them out instead of her too bit Moots.

#17 ·
I have had a fitting done, but it was for a road bike. However, the fitter did an excellent job, so maybe I should check with him on the mountain bike too. As far as the mountain bike goes though, I am pretty sure that I would really fit better on a 21"-21.5" top tube and a shorter seat tube. I did make some adjustments to the Moots today, which seemed to help. I measured the standover too, and discovered that it's 29". That doesn't give me much clearance and definitely lowers my confidence level. For the time being, I guess I'll be riding the Moots, but I am definitely exploring my options, including FS. Thanks for all the good advice...

#18 ·
jckid said:
Quote from A girl in Seattle: And while you're at it, have you considered moving away from the hardtails and getting a full-suspension frame? Modern full-suspension bikes can climb as well (or better) as hardtails, and are way more fun on the downhills. Your Moots, while a nice bike, is kind of old-school, so maybe this is a great opportunity to get something you'll like even more! Let us know what you decide! :)[/QUOTE]

OK. You made me think about this. The Yeti ARC I was going to get was used, and someone beat me to it. :mad: So now it looks like I have some time to think. I may still go with a new ARC, but I guess I'll check out some other frames as well.

I've never ridden a full suspension bike. Years ago, I never even considered one, because the early designs lacked performance and the frames were heavy. But riding with my Fox F80RL has made me realize just how far suspension technology has come since the days when I rode a basic Rock Shox fork with elastomers (i.e. pieces of foam!). And now that I'm older, I notice riding techical trails on a hardtail can be bone-jarring and not so forgiving on the back. So maybe you're right. Maybe it's time for me to modernize. I'm not sure, but I am going to give it some thought. The Yeti ASR looks nice, and it's pretty light. Any suggestions on other FS XC rigs that are light? I probably don't really need long travel.
I think you hit the nail on the head -- FS technology has come a long way. It used to be that by going with full suspension, you sacrificed lightness and rigidity and climbing ability. But today's FS bikes are soo good that you just can't lose. If it were just a matter of comfort, maybe I would suck it up and ride a hardtail. But FS bikes are just way more fun! Everyone I know rides FS and would never go back. Most of them don't even bob annoyingly anymore. I dunno which one you should buy, but it would be good idea to test ride some at your LBS and then go from there. Something in the 4-5 inch range is a good bet for all-around performance...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.