mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Buying my wife a bike?

Hi Ladies

I have been looking at buying new bikes for my self and my wife. She is a novice mtb rider and when riding bikes in the past she rides a bit on the tentative side. Not a aggressive rider at all. With that said- I think this is just because she has not ridden much off the pavement and I am sure she will grow more confident on the bike as with everything else in life she tackles head on.

I want to get her a bike she can grow into and we can upgrade the specs as we go. The Juliana line of bikes through SC look promising. I'm thinking either the HT Nevis or the FS Orgin. Seem to be spec'd well and a good entry point. Both are at great price point for either the base (segundo) or premiero models.

Anyone ride these bikes or have any feed back or recommendations. If not on these bikes we are open to other brands as well..

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    She needs to make the choice ,take her to some shops ,test ride/demo bikes.Would you want her picking out a bike for you? See if you can find a club with a women's group or a class for women riders.Fit is the most important thing about a bike ,get the frame right the rest can be adjusted.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    She will be test riding whats avail. our LBS does not carry the Juliana in stock readily. Which is why I am asking about them to get more info.

She has asked me to look for the bike. Obviously she is not going to ride something she doesn't want to, but obviously a better built bike is better than a pretty colored bike. Just trying to get the best bike for her. Will see what we can find locally as far as groups etc.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by rangeriderdave View Post
    She needs to make the choice ,take her to some shops ,test ride/demo bikes.Would you want her picking out a bike for you? See if you can find a club with a women's group or a class for women riders.Fit is the most important thing about a bike ,get the frame right the rest can be adjusted.
    ^^ exactly!
    Are you anywhere near Santa Cruz? They offer a factory demo program to test bikes now.

I have a small Santa Cruz Superlight 29 and love it. I tried many many different bikes and this one fit just right. Friends of mine also have Santa Cruz bikes and they absolutely love them also. Juliana, Heckler, Tallboy, Superlight Carbon...

I guess my point is, get her on a bike and if it fits and she enjoys it, get it for her!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Wish we were in Santa Cruz, we loved it when visiting. We live in San Antonio TX. Think we are going to hit the trails and see what bikes we run into and go from there. Thanks!

Moderator Moderator
    Unless you have much for hills (forgive my ignorance if TX is not relatively flat), I would say that full suspension would generally give a novice more confidence on rough trails. True, I don't have one yet, but when I was a novice, suspension wasn't invented yet. If your trails are hillier than they are rough, the hardtail might have the advantage, as it will be lighter for the same money. I don't think you can go wrong with the Julianas, as long as it fits and she is interested in riding it.

Don't worry, be happy!

Buying my wife a bike?

If you like your local lbs, I'd start there and see what they have. Most brands are good enough. Fit is important, and I'm totally into supporting lbs for most purchases and service.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I bought the 2014 Santa Cruz Heckler recently. I had been riding a 26" hard-tail (XC). I learned a lot last year on the hard-tail. However for me to progress further, we decided to purchase an all-mountain bike. It helped that the Heckler came in a pretty blue color. I have demo'd WSD bikes, but the men's bike fit me fine. I'm 5'7" and 140-150 lbs. She will need to demo the bike for sure. Be sure to compare specs on men's v. women's bikes. If there isn't too much of a difference, you can have her ride the men's, but order the women's.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    ^ That was me from my husbands account, as he never seems to logout.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Fit is key. I'm only 5' tall so am much more limited than someone who is taller. I ride a Pivot Mach 5.7 in xs and it provided me with fs and the longer travel that I was looking for. My friends have the Safire, Trek Lush, and old Juliana, all of which are women specific with lower standover. I've tried all those bikes and they are comfy and cushy. I'm actually going to demo a Juliana Furtado next week (I live in Santa Cruz) and can give an update then. I tried a Giant Cypher and though the fit was all weird but it was mostly because the top tube angled pretty aggressively for an xs and standover suffered. Hope that helps. Will try to update after I demo the Furtado.