The Other F Word
    Jan 2005

Bruises at work...

Apologies if this has been posted already - it's from March.

When Women Wear Bruises to Work

I feel inspired to wear skirts to work again. (Now that I have a job that doesn't require me to climb ladders, it's actually feasible.)

Discuss.
    Quote Originally Posted by Impy
    just plain unfriendly and maladjusted.
    "Yes, honey: I do love this bike more than I love you."

mtbr member
    Saw this awhile back... mine are usually scratches or trail/road rash. Fortunately most people at work know it's not my boyfriend beating me up! I've had a couple bad forearm abrasions which can be pretty problematic... particularly since I'm a surgeon and having to scrub road rash before each case sucks!
    Probably my best story though was a year or so ago when I hit my hand against a silk tree yucca... which doesn't have much give. My finger bled quite a bit and swelled up. I took an Xray the next day and it wasn't broken. Thought I was good, except that it kept hurting and I started having some small pieces of woody type material come out of the cut and realized I had a large thorn stuck in my finger which I had to get one of my partner's remove during our lunch breaks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I'm a nurse, so I have to wear scrub pants so no one ever sees my legs unless I'm going "hey hey hey, look at my new bruise ya'll!" which I've been known to do while my coworkers roll their eyes!

My mom is the one most likely to tell me I need to cover my bruises. I don't care, if people think my boyfriend is beating me while I'm wearing shorts walking through Walmart, I suppose that's just their problem!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Yep, I've had this happen. I usually wear pants but I just can't do long sleeves in the summer. It isn't even the appearance issue. It bothers me that the FIRST assumption is always domestic abuse.

Gnarly
    Most of my staff and colleagues at work know I bike but they don't quite understand that the riding can be aggressive and the risk involved. They have this vision of this quiet calm Gen xer... toddling along on a smooth bike path... when if fact divide my riding between dh/fr and trail riding. So when they notice bruises or see me limping and ask what's happened... I tell them I had a great weekend.
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies