Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by clementineclark View Post
    i am brand new to biking and here is my issue: i have large breasts (DD) and although i love the speed of my boyfriend's mountain bike, leaning so far over the bike causes pain between my shoulder blades. i decided to go with a comfort bike and while i am surely comfortable and have no pain now, i have lost my speed and sometimes it feels like i am pushing a horse!! how do i get comfortable and maintain speed? thanks for any input....
    I am by no means an expert at being a woman. But if this pain mainly occurs from riding a bike, hunched over, it could simply be that your shoulders are forced back for most of your ride. As you lean over handlebars a significant portion of that weight is or should be supported by your arms (not back). These muscles: Pectoralis minor muscle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

are responsible for pulling shoulders forward (not typically beneficial to ladies well-endowed, usually the opposing muscles, except here it's a bike ride). To work these, you can do something like lay down on a flat bench, with arms outsretched in front of your face, elbows locked. You can hold a dumbell or medicine ball, and force your shoulders forward and let them come back. Regular old pectoral (major) excercises can hit these too, but sorta secondarily, like collateral damage.

I want to caution you, especially as a well-endowed lady, that if you do any exercise like this, to balance it out with an opposing one so as not to affect your regular standing posture negatively. You ever see those guys that only benchpress, walking around with their shoulders pulled forward all the time? Dumbell rows should be adequate to balance it. You can substitute dumbell with anything that has a handle of course, kettle bell, medicine ball w/handle. Milk jug full of water (may not be heavy enough).

This may not be it. It's just something that came to mind. I've been lifting (on and off and on) for 15 years. I've caused and solved some of my own problems in various sports.

Slothful dirt hippie
    5'8" here and... well... I like to think I'm what you get if Marilyn Monroe had a baby with a long line of great big lumberjacks, lol. I also have a GREAT metabolism to survive long northern famine winters that I'm constantly battling.

I'm slow, can struggle in heat, and finding bike clothing that fits is a serious PITA... the price of full suspension I guess.
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

mtbr member
    I'm 5' 8", scrawny, long torso, and (as the swimmers say) "hydrodynamic." (Yes, the last bit refers to my boobs or lack thereof.)

Disadvantages: Will not survive a famine. Cannot find dresses that fit.

Advantages: Fit very well on men's bikes. Can rocket uphill. Can corner very tight around trees.

Dis/advantage: Can wear men's jerseys.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I'm 5'7", athletic build. All three of my bikes I ride (road, commuter, mtb) are 17" with the seats cranked up pretty high.

mtbr member

Long Torso...no legs

I'm 5'2 with a 29" inseam and a long torso for my size. Feel more comfortable on a mens small than the bikes built for women. I feel too crowded in the cockpit of a womans bike. However, I am very new to the sport and have not tried many bikes. I have an average to stocky build and have always been tough on trails both hiking and biking.My current ride is a Cannondale Jekyll. It's my first MTB so I don't have much comparison yet. Standover always an issue with short legs!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2