mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Bike for my wife... Fatbike?

Greetings,

My dear wife has really been enjoying riding this summer. She does it more for the fitness than for the love of biking but I just love having her out there doing it with me. The bike she is using is very lame. I want to get her a nice 2 or 3 thousand dollar bike that she can enjoy. I was thinking of something like my stumpjumper but here in Alaska a Fatbike might be nice for a person who only wants one bike. she's not into racing or going super fast-- do you gals think she might like a Fatbike to use all year?

Team Chilidog!
    Have you tried asking her what she wants?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
    Have you tried asking her what she wants?
    I should have mentioned, its a gift. She's happy with her $200 dollar bike.

mtbr member
    I love my fatbike, but where does she like to ride?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Why not surprise her by taking her to the shop? A Fatbike is a rather polarizing type of bike, kind of love it or hate. I know that you want to make it a gift, but this kind of decision is one that you can't really make for her, regardless of whatever she's happy riding at the moment.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I love it when I get to participate in the decision-making.

I really want a fat bike! I know people who use their fat bikes all year and love them. BUT, fat bikes are slower and I wouldn't be happy riding a fat bike with people who are much faster than me. If my guy was faster than me (and he is) and I was on a fat bike that I felt gave me a technological disadvantage relative to his bike (e.g. made me even slower), I wouldn't be happy. So, I probably won't get a fat bike unless we both do. Or if I get a fat bike, I'll ride it on my solo lunch time rides or when conditions make a fat bike more effective than a regular bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    I love my fatbike, but where does she like to ride?
    Well thats the thing, she rides mostly on a paved trail that goes along the side of the road. She rides about 10 miles a day. We're in our mid 40's, she just likes to get out and go at her own speed. here in Alaska we're snowed in for more than half the year, I'm thinking the fatbike might allow her to get out for more of the year.

mtbr member

Fat Back

I've had my Fat Back for over 4 years now, and I ride it year round. The bike changed my life! You could always rent one for her and see if she likes it enought to put the $$ down for it. The Bicycle Shop was renting them last year and I'm not sure if Arctic Cycles has reopened for rentals yet. I ride mine on the paved trails at 20 psi and drop the pressure when I ride the beach down by pt. warrenzof. If she isn't a speed junkie she may like it. I like being able to go anywhere. I've used mine for riding 4-wheeler trails and anywhere else the skinnies can't go. I have a 29er but it doesn't get much action.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by kat71 View Post
    I've had my Fat Back for over 4 years now, and I ride it year round. The bike changed my life! You could always rent one for her and see if she likes it enought to put the $$ down for it. The Bicycle Shop was renting them last year and I'm not sure if Arctic Cycles has reopened for rentals yet. I ride mine on the paved trails at 20 psi and drop the pressure when I ride the beach down by pt. warrenzof. If she isn't a speed junkie she may like it. I like being able to go anywhere. I've used mine for riding 4-wheeler trails and anywhere else the skinnies can't go. I have a 29er but it doesn't get much action.
    Great ideas, thank you!!

mtbr member
    If the path is plowed year-round, I would mostly ride it on my MTB with good studded tires, rather than a fatbike. The fat tires really mostly help you float over soft surfaces like packed snowmo trails or the beach. I know from personal experience that you can go down quick on icy patches. And factory studded tires for fatties are only just coming out late this fall and are $$$$. On the other hand, fatbikes are fun in a monster truck kind of way, she would destroy any sticks in her path!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thanks for all the feedback ladies. I'm getting a fatty for myself so I got her into the bikeshop without her knowing that I was trying to see what she liked best. She looked pretty hot! I told her it made her ass look small, I thought it was a compliment, she didn't. She really liked it... until she rode the full suspension specialized, she liked that even better. As I suspected, she doesn't want to pay that much for a bike. She will be happy and surprised when she finds it under the christmas tree this xmas.

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by curly1 View Post
    Thanks for all the feedback ladies. I'm getting a fatty for myself so I got her into the bikeshop without her knowing that I was trying to see what she liked best. She looked pretty hot! I told her it made her ass look small, I thought it was a compliment, she didn't. She really liked it... until she rode the full suspension specialized, she liked that even better. As I suspected, she doesn't want to pay that much for a bike. She will be happy and surprised when she finds it under the christmas tree this xmas.
    Yeah, no.. I don't think I would take it as a compliment either.

So you're going to get her a full sus and put under the tree? That's pretty awesome of you

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

So you're going to get her a full sus and put under the tree?
    Yes, I don't recall the name of the bike but its the female version of the Stumpjumper. It's black, I told them to see if it comes in a more "girly color", if not I will take the black. She will LOVE IT!!! She's never been one to get a high quality bike so I'm excited to finally get her on a really good bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Yeah, no.. I don't think I would take it as a compliment either.
    BTW, her butt is small.

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by curly1 View Post
    BTW, her butt is small.
    Even if her butt is small, if you say the bike makes her butt look smaller, in her head she hears that her butt looks big otherwise. Just saying, and I can only be jealous of her small butt

Congrats on the bike. That's an awesome xmas prezzy

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Even if her butt is small, if you say the bike makes her butt look smaller, in her head she hears that her butt looks big
    I know, but at the time it seemed funny, and fatbikes really do make the butt look good. I nearly bought it for her just for that!!

Congrats on the bike. That's an awesome xmas prezzy
    Thank you. I like having the big gift done this early, now if I can just keep it hidden.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    "she rides mostly on a paved trail that goes along the side of the road"

An FS does not seem to be the right bike for this unless it's hard bumpy ice. In the lower 48 I could see it, but where you are at the fat bike might open new trails and several more months of riding. Even a 29er HT with some 2.4" tires at 15psi would greatly help in the snow and then just swap out the tire for something lighter in the summer. I would not jump on the FS so quickly, even if she likes it.

My wife also insisted on a FS for the cush, but in the last few years she realized it really isn't the best for the terrain we ride or her lack of agressive riding on what I consider rather beginner trails. Bigger 29er wheels have given her new confidence and increased here fun factor.

Good luck in finding the right bike.
    26FS & 29Rigid... best of both worlds