mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Baggie Shorts Suggestions

Sorry for yet another, "what to buy the wife..." thread:

I'm searching for some experienced-based commentary on women's baggies as a gift for my wife. She's a strong XC/All-mountain rider & has mostly used spandex shorts. I'm interested in a higher-quality short with a nice, detachable chamois, a softer, stretchable outer fabric and an above the knee cut. The Zoic Naveah, Specialized BG Enduro & North Face Saddler look nice, but I've yet to find any of these locally to touch & feel.

Any feedback & recommendations?

mtbr member
    I haven't tried any of the 3 you mentioned. But the biggest thing seems to be fit in terms of whether she has curves (hips) or not so much. I have an hourglass shape and for example, Oakley shorts don't fit me AT ALL - I feel like I could be very pregnant and still wear them because the waistband is so big in relation to the hips/thighs. And I've run into the same issue with Sombrio shorts - I have a ton of fabric to cinch in at the waist and they always have a big gap in back when I lean forward because the waist is too big.

Fox, Harlot and Sugoi work a lot better for me. Obviously, for people who have the opposite build and have narrower hips (or just less of a difference between their hip/waist measurements), they may have the opposite experience.

Bored Carp
    Luna Sport just started making some really nice clothes. They make a very flattering above the knee XC baggy with great fabric. Not sure if the chamois is detachable.

Cheers,
    C
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

Rides with Scissors
    I'm a fan of Harlot shorts -- I have the "Annie" short. Like connie, I'm not built like a tube and tend to have the waist-gap issue. It's not much of an issue with the Annie's. They also do NOT come with any sort of liner/chamois so I can choose my favorite instead of being stuck with whatever they provide.
    Some days you're the dog, some days you're the hydrant.

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by chuky
    Luna Sport just started making some really nice clothes. They make a very flattering above the knee XC baggy with great fabric. Not sure if the chamois is detachable.

Cheers,
    C
    http://www.lunasportgear.com/product...ggy-short.html

Wow... I have a hard time believing that a pro DH woman designed those shorts. I'd like to see about 8 more inches added to the bottom.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl

Wow... I have a hard time believing that a pro DH woman designed those shorts. I'd like to see about 8 more inches added to the bottom.
    Shame on Luna for caving to fashion trends with those shorty shorts. Harlot rules!!!
    Never give up, never surrender.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl

Well, Marla Streb isn't really the stereotypical DH woman. I have a hard time picturing her in anything other than spandex, to be honest... and obviously what she wears has nothing at all to do with her legendary riding skills (at DH/XC/or any other discipline).

And there's room for a lot of different styles in the baggy shorts market. I personally want something that's long enough to be nearly capri length... but I know there are people out there that want short baggies too. To each their own.

Bored Carp
    For the record, the liner in the Luna shorts is removable.

Shame is a hyperbolic word. The Bush administration should be shamed. Most of Wall Street should be shamed. The Catholic Church should be shamed. The bike industry woman who designed shorts shorter than you personally like is probably okay not feeling any remorse.

What Connie said.

LittleCreek07.JPG
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

mtbr member
    Lol, I also forgot most women have shorter legs.
    Never give up, never surrender.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Thanks for the good info, especially the hip/waist advice as my wife falls into the curvy category.

Yesterday, I picked up a pair of Fox Diva shorts at an LBS for 50% off. They are a nice outer short with nice, soft, stretchable material, appropriate pockets, waist adjustment and side zips. The chamois looks OK. Less 50%, she can throw out the liner and they are still a good deal. The Harlot stuff looks nice too, so she may be getting 2 for the price of 1...

Random thoughts- Plenty of shame & blame to go around this world... Hats off to Luna for tending a solid women's team. Marla Streb is a classic and I've had the pleasure of getting my lungs ripped out by Georgia Gould in a few CX races. Hope they continue to be successful.

mtbr member

Dakine Baggy Shorts

So our bike team just decided on the Dakine Women's Siren shorts for our team gear and when I tried them on in the shop I was really disappointed with the detatchable chamois. It feels like a thin, rather stiff cardboard maxi pad that wraps all the way around to your butt. Not cool. I like the outer shell of these shorts allot: baggy but still flattering and nice and stretchy. I'd recommend throwing the liner away and using different ones.
    The new 3/4 length sleeve Siren jersey is awesome. Most of it is made out of really well ventilated mesh that is somehow not see through and the color (mulberry purple) is cool.

scars > tattoos
    i <3 the fox sierra shorts i got. the short fits really well (and i've got some ghetto booty), has adjustable side tabs, is quite flattering in the board-shorts sense, but the crotch isn't too long. the detachable chamois is really breathable, but a little on the thin side for my un-broken in bum. i'm sure this won't be a big deal in a little while, though. and they're pretty reasonably priced, too at $69.95.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I like the Zoic shorts a lot. I have something like the Neveah - plaid is very flattering and I ALWAYs get compliments when I wear these shorts. I also LOVE Harlot shorts.

Don't worry, be happy!
    Quote Originally Posted by bonbonan
    Campagnolo Racing Womens Bib Tights will be look cool for you wife.

Campagnolo Racing Womens
    He asked for baggies recommendations.

mtbr member
    I personally like the Terry Baggies, but I also have a pair of the new LUNA Sport baggies...they're quite comfy (though a little short for my taste).
    My Rides:
    SS=Zion 853
    HT=Orbea D'ella
    FS=Yeti 575
    DH/FR=Yeti ASX
    DJ=Kona Cowan
    Road/CX=Orbea Terra

mtbr member
    My suggestion would be Specialized BG Enduro. Nice fit and good air flow !

Don't worry, be happy!
    I just scored some Santa Cruz baggies off of Chainlove. They are nice enough, but why oh why oh WHY do they always make the liners for girls with thighs the dimensions of spaghetti noodles?

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Quote Originally Posted by formica
    I just scored some Santa Cruz baggies off of Chainlove. They are nice enough, but why oh why oh WHY do they always make the liners for girls with thighs the dimensions of spaghetti noodles?
    You're not alone, Oakley's mens shorts are all cut for skinny sticks as well. I have to cut the elastic in the liners to fit my bike racer quads.

JMH