mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Back on the trail :)

Let's see...neck is strong enough/recovered enough for mountain biking again - CHECK
    Attended the 2012 MidWest Women's MTB Clinic to get a refresher on basic skills - CHECK
    Bike currently in shop getting the front shifter changed from SRAM X9 trigger to SRAM X0 Grip - CHECK (thumb arthritis in the left hand really forced the issue). Looking forward to checking out the new shifter setup this weekend on a day trip to my favorite trails.

I might leave the shifters mixed, I might eventually replace the right as well, we will see. The left shifter is quite cheap to replace since I've a triple and those prices have really dropped. The right - very different story since I've a 10-speed cassette. I've an (almost) stock 2011 Jamis Dakar XC Comp that came with a triple & 10 speed rear.

I not only survived my rematch on the trail that gave me whiplash in October, but I kicked its a*z AND rode a new trail I've not ridden before in Brown County State Park.The North Tower Loop might be classified as a beginners trail, but it is very different from the other two beginners trails so I am pleased with how I rode it; while I did walk a small portion of it. That is ok, my bike needs cross-training so walking takes care of that My riding partner told me that I was riding better/faster than last year before my injury. Sweet!

I think I am ready for a 4 night camping/trail riding/hiking vacation at the same park now

I just had to share, as a 52 year old beginner who just stepped over a mountain bike for the first time exactly one year ago I am very happy to get back on the trails after an 8 month break from the injury.
    Last edited by Catrin; 06-20-2012 at 04:37 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Congratulations!!

mtbr member
    Welcome back!

Endo King
    Welcome back. My wife's the same age and we enjoy riding together. She took a fall on our first ride of the year but it didn't stop her either.

Keep the rubber side down!
    "I didn't surrender. They took my horse and made him surrender..."
    -Chief Lone Watie

:-D
    Hey that is great news ! Keep us posted on your progress .

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Welcome back and congrats on starting young! I didn't get started till I was 53.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by RideMore56 View Post
    Welcome back and congrats on starting young! I didn't get started till I was 53.
    It is always good to hear from other women who started around my age. I actually didn't even learn how to ride a bike, period, until I was 50!

What I find interesting is my return to the trails two weeks ago, I felt better and more confident than I did last year - and that was after an 8 month trail break! I was still road riding though and doing what gym work my neck would allow so apparently whatever I did has paid off.

I still have a bit of a problem with one of the basic bike-body separation skills, but practice, practice, practice is the key. Fore/Aft isn't a problem, it is the "windshield wiper" movement that my body isn't cooperating on. Probably over-thinking...

Serenity now!
    Good work. You have a great attitude and I admire your courage and azz kicking skillz