mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Anyone tried these bikes?

I'm looking to upgrade my 15 year old mountain bike and wondered if any of the women here have tried the Giant Liv Tempt 1 or the Marin Juniper Trail?

I'm mostly riding with the family now, including a small child in a Chariot. So we do lots of paces trails, gravel roads, grass through the parks, going through new build areas with construction debris and we have lots of pot holes in the city come spring time. During the summer we camp and ride on gravel roads or packed dirt trails and grass.

I'm also going to try and ride to work a couple times per week which involves an 11 km ride on paved paths, a large paved hill and a small section with dirt/grass rock hill and crossing train tracks. It's the kind of rock set up that your tires just sink into so it may involve dismounting no matter what kind of bike I have (maybe fat tires would work but I'm not looking into a fat tire at this point).

CFT
    mtbr member
    Hi QueenMAUW - I have not tried the Marin but have tried the Tempt 1 (I'm a Liv dealer in CA) and the Liv is a super fun bike to ride. Price point wise you are getting a way nicer build spec with the Liv vs the Marin. The Fox front fork is nicer than the Suntour one on the Marin plus the Liv has XT rear, Deore front where the Marin only has SLX rear. The Liv will be lighter with those nicer components on it - don't know the weight off hand. Good luck with your choice - its a good idea to go to your local LBS and ride them both and see which one feels better! There's not substitute for a test ride to help you make up your mind! Happy Trails!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Anyone tried these bikes?

Thanks for the input! I found out last night that neither of the LBS that sell Giant here have the Tempt 1 and the Giant warehouse doesn't have any, so they can't order me one. I had tried the Tempt 2 and found it seemed to fit me well, but that's not the one I want.

The Marin I might be able to get, but the LBS that carries Marin doesn't have any of their women's specific models at all, so nothing for me to even try out prior to help decide if I want to order one.

I did the the Bobcat Trail 7.5 and I thought it rose nice, but the bars were too wide for me. So my arms were pretty much locked and when I turned, my arms were so far away that I didn't feel I had good control.

I have very little choice in my city unfortunately. They stock mostly entry and mid level recreation bikes.