Mountain Starfish
    Nov 2012

Anyone in the SF Bay Area with a small WSD 29er?

Hey gals,

I'm shopping for a new bike, and considering a 29er, but having a hard time actually getting my hands on one to try. Do any of you know of any bike shops in the San Francisco Bay Area that would have one that would fit a 5'2" rider? (Or do any of you own one you wouldn't mind letting me try out? )

Sorry if this comes across sounding a bit desperate, but it's a nontrivial amount of money for me so I'd feel a lot better if I could try one first... feel free to send me a private message if you would be willing to coordinate something with me.

Thanks!

Team Chilidog!
    Actually, I can see if my friend still has hers. Where in the Bay Area are you?

Dudette
    Does it have to be womens-specific? I recently purchased a Giant Trance X 29er and absolutely love it. One of the things I love about it is it's low standover height, if that's an issue for you? They go down to an xs. Something to consider, maybe? FWIW, I am 5'4" (with shoes) and have a 29 1/2" inseam.

Mountain Starfish
    Nov 2012
    Thanks, Stripes! I'm in San Mateo, but willing to drive a fair distance if needed.

petey15: I'm especially curious about women-specific ones, but thanks for the info. I've been having a hard time finding small 29ers to try in general (and been advised by more than one bike salesman that I'm too short to ride a 29er).

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Starfish-You may be better on a 26'r. That said, Lombardi Sports or any Specialized store should have big wheel demos. Good Luck.

see me rollin, they hatin
    Starfish! i second Petey's statement. i have a TranceX 29. up until recently i was grumbling that they'd never fit me, and i was so close to getting a 650b, but i test rode the trance and it fit great! sure, its a "bigger" bike in general (longer, and perhaps a pound or two heavier than a very nice 26) but it's proof that they fit. The frame is very low and swoopy so there's no need for it to be women's specific. i ride an XS by the way.
    fap

mtbr member
    May 2012
    When you are ready to head to the shops, try a giant anthem wsd 29'r.
    omg i am in love with mine. I am only 5'1" with shoes on and the stand over is awesome. The bike handles great and is fun to ride. I was concerned about a 29'r seein as how i am so vertically challenged but wow. I was looking @the trance but anthem caught my eye. Its even more shocking due to the fact i normally ride a GT avalanche HT. Yeah, no. Hands down a giant fan now. Everything is so much better and more fun.
    I would love to help you out with a test ride but im on east coast. Good luck

mtbr member
    Trailhead san jose

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    What kind of ride are you looking for? Are you looking for racy or more trail oriented? That will make a huge difference in which bike you will enjoy riding, fit aside.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I second the Trailhead Cycleries recommendation, but stay away from the Yeti's, they run big, I am 5'8" and ride a medium bike in every brand but fit perfectly on a small Yeti. Not to say Yeti's are bad, they rock, but they have wonky sizing.

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by gren737 View Post
    I second the Trailhead Cycleries recommendation, but stay away from the Yeti's, they run big, I am 5'8" and ride a medium bike in every brand but fit perfectly on a small Yeti. Not to say Yeti's are bad, they rock, but they have wonky sizing.
    I disagree on the Yetis as far as staying away from them. They make awesome bikes

If I was going to ride a 29er, the SB-95 would be the top on my list. Everyone fits bikes differently, so I do agree that you should ride it before you buy it.

mtbr member
    I have a WSD hardtail 29er - a Cannondale Tango SL1, size small. I'm 5'1". I got it at Wheels of Justice in Oakland, but they had a hell of a time tracking one down. I did see the Tango SL2 at Sunrise Bikes (I think that's the name - the place in Fairfax where they sell passes for Camp Tamarancho) - though I'm not sure what size it was.

A good friend of mine has a Specialized Jett 29er hardtail - the middle model. I think she's about 5'4", but I'm not entirely sure. I test-rode her bike first and that set me on the hunt for a 29er. For me, the Cannondale just fit me a little better. She got her bike at Mike's. I went and test-rode one there too.

We're both in Oakland, in Jack London Square. I'm sure we could work out some time if you wanted to take them around the block.

-laine