mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Anyone with experience on a Giant Reign

Hi,

I am new to this site and I am thinking of purchasing a '13 Giant Reign 2. All the reviews I have read seems to be from guys. So, I am looking for a woman's perspective. I have already test ridden it and really like the geometry and the Maestro design. More specifically, I am interested in your experience with this bike in terms of durability, warranty issues, Giant components (specifically their riser seatpost), advice with wet climates as well as dry ones, etc.

Any insights, advice, heads up would be appreciated. Thanks.

Background info & riding style: 5'5"; 127#s (with all my riding stuff on & water); I plan to be travel with this bike so I read a mix of desert, foothill, alpine trails. I am like to pump the terrain and launch off ledges. Also, I love the pumptrack (but that's what my bmx is for). I do occasionally ride lifts.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I've got a Reign X0 that I bought last year (but it was a 2009 that was in the shop for a couple of years -unused). I've put about 200 days of riding or so. I've had no problem with it and have ridden it everywhere (desert to whistler).

I've never had any problems with it breaking - although I've heard some of the later Reign X's have had problems. I've not heard any issues with the Reigns. I can't give you any experience with warranties since the only things I broke on it were the XT brakes and the Reverb which were both warrantied no problem.

Hope that helps.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Awesome. Thank you for your insights.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I have several friends on Giant Reigns. They love them, have had no major problems.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by cleopatra999 View Post
    I have several friends on Giant Reigns. They love them, have had no major problems.
    Thanks, that's good to hear.

It is hard to find a small. All shops in my area has Med or Large. I guess the my local shops didn't see a women or short dude market for 6" trail bikes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I've had an earlier model Reign X for a number of seasons (size XS), granted I'm not jumping off the really high jumps with my husband, but I still like to throw my self down some hills and off some ledges from time to time. The bike frame has held up well (I've had to replace some components, but that's pretty normal IMO). I've ridden the bike in the mountains of NC and the desert of UT and its held up well. I'm not sure what you're asking re: the riser seatpost, so I cant speak to that.

Happy riding.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Thanks for the insight. Finally got my hands on one and took it to the Bike park yesterday. I does jump pretty well but slightly rear wheel heavy. Took it for a trail ride today. Was very fun.

Sorry for the typo. I meant "Dropper" instead of "riser.

What I noticed is that the dropper post cable tends to rub my rear tire when I ride it at its lowest point. Also, it goes not go all the way down. I love to ride my seat slammed (All the way down to the collar- sorry bmx term) when I goof around at the local jump spot. I know I am a tomboy. So, now I have to find a cheap seat post to to swap out the dropper when i am not riding trails. Not a big deal.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by iluvdimsum View Post

Sorry for the typo. I meant "Dropper" instead of "riser.

What I noticed is that the dropper post cable tends to rub my rear tire when I ride it at its lowest point.
    Zipties. You can make a little guide with zipties so that the loop will go where you want it to.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

re: dropper post

Quote Originally Posted by epic View Post
    Zipties. You can make a little guide with zipties so that the loop will go where you want it to.
    Thanks for the suggestion but the cable frayed so I had to bring it back to the shop. They put a plastic cable guide collar that actually moved the cable out of the way of the rear tire (prob should have been on there in the first place). Was told not use zipties because the cable will fray when moving the post up and down.

Every is good except the post is still too high for me even in the lowest position when descending and pumping my bike. I think it was meant for average men heights not women. So, I may have to order another one that has a 3 inch rise.

Huffy Rider
    I ride a Reign that I built from the frame up, great bike. What suspension parts are you running?

Brenda

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    OTE=motochick;10393975]I ride a Reign that I built from the frame up, great bike. Wpump track nsion parts are you running?

Brenda[/QUOTE]

Stock suspension - rs rev&monarch. Been fine on the trail but soft on the pumptrack and DJ. 10psi above for fork and 15psi above for shock works for me but still soft compared to my 24 bmx. sorry kinda biased towards rigids for pump tracks. Hope this helps.

Huffy Rider
    Good, at least it isn't any of that Fox junk! I run Rev (Pushed, soooooo much better then stock) and a Monarch Plus RC3. I also have a BMX for the pump tracks!