Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2012

All mountain bikes with XS size option

5'2" and finding it tiresome to troll through manufacturers websites every time I get excited about a bike, only to find out that their Smallest frame is designed for everyone under 5'7".

Looking forward to the next big purchase and drawn to bikes like the Knolly Chilcotin, Liteville 301, Transition Covert, Yeti SB66, Pivot Firebird, etc. Though being on a 650b is nice, there are so many great bikes out there in the "old" wheel size that still shred the mountain. 29er is officially off the table.

Currently on an XS Rocky Mountain Altitude 750 which is a really awesome bike, especially in its slackest setting. The ONLY real downside to this bike is its incredibly tall standover height which is annoying on a good day and downright dangerous on a bad day.

What's out there?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Pivot Mach 5.7 comes in XS and still good old 26. I ride one ..not XS but still a fantastic bike

Wasatch Stokebird
    I just went through the same thing (I'm 5'3") and was really looking to stay on a 26". Yeti, Ibis, and Pivot all make smaller frames. The Ibis SL-R (size small) fit me really well, and I'm pretty sure they make the SB66 in an XS if you can actually hunt one down. I ended up ordering a Pivot 5.7c in a XS a few weeks ago. It JUST arrived and is currently being built up. I cannot wait to ride it!!! Hopefully it's done by Monday ~ *fingers crossed*
    SpreadStoke.com
    Being stoked is a state of mind. How do you achieve it?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    My wife is just under 5' and is having a lot of trouble finding a mtn bike that fits. The smallest nice bike that I've found is the Juliana Origin (full suspension) and the Nevis (hard tail). Finding one in stock locally is impossible. We may end up ordering.

The Other F Word
    Jan 2005
    This would make a great sticky.
    Quote Originally Posted by Impy
    just plain unfriendly and maladjusted.
    "Yes, honey: I do love this bike more than I love you."

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by CasadillaSlim View Post
    I just went through the same thing (I'm 5'3") and was really looking to stay on a 26". Yeti, Ibis, and Pivot all make smaller frames. The Ibis SL-R (size small) fit me really well, and I'm pretty sure they make the SB66 in an XS if you can actually hunt one down. I ended up ordering a Pivot 5.7c in a XS a few weeks ago. It JUST arrived and is currently being built up. I cannot wait to ride it!!! Hopefully it's done by Monday ~ *fingers crossed*
    Please post up some pics when it's done

Team Chilidog!
    Being someone who rides a short frame, here's what I've found:
    - SB75 (Yeti isn't making the SB66 anymore) Yeti Cycles / Home
    - Ibis Mojo HD/HD-R (I ride a small HD 26" and it fits and is super-fun)
    - Pivot makes XS and XXS small bikes but not sure they fall under AM
    - Trek makes a pretty small frame that might work, same with Giant
    - Norco makes extra small frames for AM/Enduro
    - Ventana and Moots will make something as custom size as you want it for any of their bikes if you're willing to pay for it

So I don't think yer options are that limited--it's just a matter of what yer willing to spend.. and very little chance of test riding.

If I can test ride something that fits me, I'll post a review.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Liteville 301 and 601 have just come onto my radar!
    The good news is, they make them in XS.
    The better news is, all the reviews of them are downright hard to believe because they're so positive.
    The best news is, I'll be in Italy in August and will be able to test ride on some big chunky downhills!

......the less awesome news is that they cost an arm and a leg.......

Wasatch Stokebird
    Tahic - Posted a pic in my original thead here: Looking for Advice: Pivot Mach 5.7 - Size Question

I'm SOOOO obsessed with the bike, it's rides amazing Def. glad I went with an XS, small would have been way too large! Now if this snow would just melt!
    SpreadStoke.com
    Being stoked is a state of mind. How do you achieve it?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by CasadillaSlim View Post
    Tahic - Posted a pic in my original thead here: Looking for Advice: Pivot Mach 5.7 - Size Question

I'm SOOOO obsessed with the bike, it's rides amazing Def. glad I went with an XS, small would have been way too large! Now if this snow would just melt!
    It's gorgeous love all the 'bling' Hope you enjoy and yes a small would have been too big. I ride a small and am 5' 9" !

Five5hot
    You should definitely check out a Knolly! You ride in them rather than on it. Prior I was riding an XS Yeti ASR-5 and never felt quite comfortable with it's geometry and high bottom bracket. Once I tried out a Knolly Endorphin (Small) it literally took minutes to feel right at home. Geometry, short chain stays and low BB are spot on.

I wanted a SB66 but at the time but were not offering an XS which really bummed me out. I've noticed they now offer the SB75 in a XS but only available with a 140 fork?! The Knolly Warden (27.5) sits upon 160mm of travel without compromising geometry!

mtbr member
    Giant Lust and Obsess, both women specific 27.5". Lust has been rated very highly and Giant generally offers a lot of good components for the money.

mtbr member
    I have a tiny friend on a xs Norco sight who seems happy

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I'm 5'-2" and have been on a Pivot Mach 4 for several years now. Fits me great!
    Last edited by catsruletn; 04-24-2015 at 09:45 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    A small Knolly Chilcotin would be perfect for 5'2". I'm 5'6" and I found it to be a hair to small for me!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Looking at the Knolly's, I noticed they have very long top tubes for the size. 57cm for the small is way too long for my wife. Same for the Norco's at 56cm top tube in small. Even the XS SB75 is 55cm. Getting closer but still too long. There's more to fit than stand over. I wish more manufacturers would make some of the smaller bikes. 26" wheels would be just fine.

mtbr member
    In the middle of a 650b conversion on a 2013 Santa Cruz Juli 3.3 (Superlight). For the later years, there doesn't seem to be any mods needed. The Superlight/Juliana also had a really low BB (12.3 or something like that) and is generally regarded as a great 650b candidate.

I understand it's only 100mm of rear wheel travel (typically 120 front), so probably not enough for what you're looking for. But you can buy a NIB 2013 Juli 3.3 with a CTD shock directly from SC for $550.

She's 5'1" and I had a hell of a time finding an XS frame that would fit her.

All mountain bikes with XS size option-1538695_10102401586473313_2081522865_n.jpg

The "test fit"
    All mountain bikes with XS size option-1538753_10102453452408563_4217515776176890225_n.jpg

V1 (when I was still considering building it up 26er... don't have pics of it B'd yet)

All mountain bikes with XS size option-1970628_10102401586333593_1628774726_n.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluechip View Post
    Looking at the Knolly's, I noticed they have very long top tubes for the size. 57cm for the small is way too long for my wife. Same for the Norco's at 56cm top tube in small. Even the XS SB75 is 55cm. Getting closer but still too long. There's more to fit than stand over. I wish more manufacturers would make some of the smaller bikes. 26" wheels would be just fine.
    This may not be the best measurement but the reach from the tip of my seat to my handle bar was 16.25" with a 60mm stem. I normally like that distance to be 19" or a little more.
    Check the classifieds for my parts for sale!
    Small Blue Knolly Chilcotin
    2010 Boxxer Team

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I just bought a Giant Lust 1 and so far so good. I'm very short- 4'9" without shoes so I gain a bit of height with my 5 10's on. I'm on my tippy toes getting on and off the bike and have to tilt slightly to the side to standover on flat feet.

I have only been on a few bike paths and in my driveway due to all the rain the past week in Western New York. So far so good with the bike handling but the true test will be on the trails. I was fitted at my local shop and it has made a huge difference.

My LBS had me bring in my old bike to be fitted and then compared the results and geo to the new Lust. Since they didn't carry one for my to test ride we went out on a limb and ordered one. She's my new baby!

Good luck with your search! All mountain bikes with XS size option-img_2476.jpg

All mountain bikes with XS size option-img_2483.jpg

Rock n' Roller
    I'm 5'1 and am in love with my Ibis Mojo HD. Size small but with a few small adustments here and there it fits me like a glove.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Magsrgod View Post
    A small Knolly Chilcotin would be perfect for 5'2". I'm 5'6" and I found it to be a hair to small for me!
    This is very helpful, thanks. Will be looking into a Warden. And by looking into, I mean hoping the price will ever fall below $2500 for a frame or some used smalls materialize........

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    This is very helpful, thanks. Will be looking into a Warden. And by looking into, I mean hoping the price will ever fall below $2500 for a frame or some used smalls materialize........
    Glad I could help and good luck! If you ever change your mind and your interested in a Small Chilcotin let me know!
    Check the classifieds for my parts for sale!
    Small Blue Knolly Chilcotin
    2010 Boxxer Team

Five5hot
    sorry to derail the thread but was curious to see what handlebar width everyone is using. i'm currently riding with 725mm width but thinking of going wider (765) for all mountain type of riding. i have 63" wing span.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    For those who find this thread in the future, according to their Facebook page Spawn Cycles out of Canada is coming out with a 24" Shojo bike that looks pretty nice for someone at a lower pricepoint - around Canadian $1200. I bet putting 26" tires on it might make it a decent option for some who need a smaller frame on a smaller budget. Not likely an inexpensive bike, but their smaller bikes are really high quality lightweight bikes.

Five5hot
    Quote Originally Posted by Amom View Post
    For those who find this thread in the future, according to their Facebook page Spawn Cycles out of Canada is coming out with a 24" Shojo bike that looks pretty nice for someone at a lower pricepoint - around Canadian $1200. I bet putting 26" tires on it might make it a decent option for some who need a smaller frame on a smaller budget. Not likely an inexpensive bike, but their smaller bikes are really high quality lightweight bikes.
    Nice!
    All mountain bikes with XS size option-1402839_606921112723759_6358232742772449144_o.jpg

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast