mtbr member

New question here. Advice to daughter and Gary Fisher Cake 2 gs

I'm going straght to the horses mouth on this one...I'm a father of a beautiful 12 year old girl . I have been biking my self for over half my life ..way over . I bought her a Fisher Tass Gs two years ago ..she loves the bike , well this year i purchased a GF cake 2 gs . She doesn't want to ride it. I have tried to explane that this is 3 times the bike the Tassajarra is and it will be a better technical bike and help her develope to being faster and better than I am , but she is not interested. My kid is very setimental . What can i do ?
    Also what is the track record on this bike ? i have herd some negative things about it. I wounder if this is a case of her having that 6th sence thing.
    Any advice from a womans point of view ?
    Thanks. Craig
    [SIZE="5"][/SIZE]

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by craighobbist02
    I'm going straght to the horses mouth on this one...I'm a father of a beautiful 12 year old girl . I have been biking my self for over half my life ..way over . I bought her a Fisher Tass Gs two years ago ..she loves the bike , well this year i purchased a GF cake 2 gs . She doesn't want to ride it. I have tried to explane that this is 3 times the bike the Tassajarra is and it will be a better technical bike and help her develope to being faster and better than I am , but she is not interested. My kid is very setimental . What can i do ?
    Also what is the track record on this bike ? i have herd some negative things about it. I wounder if this is a case of her having that 6th sence thing.
    Thanks. Craig
    has she ridden it at all? if she has, maybe she didn't feel comfortable on it and either doesn't know how or doesn't want to tell you?

also, did you ask her if she even wanted a new bike? is her old bike too small or did you just think that she would want something new because you thought it would be cool? did you do any research on the bike before you got it and did you have her ride it or help pick it out?

have you asked her why she won't ride it?

my advice, from a woman's point of view is, always ask before buying and my guess is that no one is going to know why she won't ride it execpt you and that's only if you ask her.

rt
    [SIZE="2"]"where are you not going so fast?" (question asked to cyclist on a trainer)[/SIZE]

[SIZE="2"]*rt*'s fabulous blog[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="2"][SIZE="2"]mm blogging[/SIZE][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by craighobbist02
    Thanks. Craig
    I'm going to take it straight from this part...

The problems with the bike depend in part on its year... the oldest (2004) Cakes had a lot of problems, people have said the newest (2006) were a heck of a lot better.

The only problems I've had with mine (2005) was a minor chain suck issue that I resolved almost immediately with a cable tie and haven't had a problem yet.

On to more fun stuff: I love my Cake. Couldn't tell you why, or how to get your daughter to love it, because my reason is simply that the first time I got on it, it felt like magic and I never wanted to get off. When I was shopping for her, (yes, I personify inanimate objects; her name is Fae) I got on a lot of real nice bikes, and nothing really clicked until I got on a Cake. I doubt I would be nearly so obsessed with riding today if I had bought one of the others.

Maybe the Cake doesn't feel right for your daughter. Maybe she's already in love with her old bike. Full suspension is going to be heavier than her hardtail, maybe she doesn't like that.

You can't force yourself to fall in love with a bike... as for advice? I'd say next time, let her into the process of picking one out and buying it herself. I know for me, the research and testing them out was all part of the excitement. And that way, you'll know that she'll get a bike that feels just right.

Lacticacid head
    goldilocks and the 3 Bikes, This one is to Big and Hard, This one is to Small, and squishy, this one fits just right!! Part of the process and magic, and love for her trusty steed, is her proces and connection. I still love my 1983 Diamond Back Ridgerunner! Even though i have many other bikes in the quiver, it was my first love. Keep her having fun!
    www.lacticacidheads.com
    drop in, spin a spell~
    happy trails~

mtbr member
    Thanks for the advice. No she has not even ridden the bike . She says that " I just love the tassajarra " . The bike I bought her is a brand new in the box 2004 .What is the cable tie trick to avoid The chain suck or is it chain drop issue ? also what other problems do I have to be concernd with ?
    Craig
    [SIZE="5"][/SIZE]

No longer 26
    Here is the answer...I'm a father of a beautiful 12 year old girl...

I am too, Mine grew up in an Ukranian orphanage from 6 to 11 and has been home with us for just over a year. Just learned to ride a bike a few weeks ago and she has already shown interest in doing the kids race "like her brohter did last year". Hard to figure out those 12 year old girls..

G
    You can't depend on honest answers from dependant hands...