gce
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012

5'11" Long Limbed Girlfriend

I read through the stickied post but I'm still a little torn on what I should be looking for for my girlfriend. She's right in that in-between size area of 17" and 19" frames. She's a pretty lanky 5'11" so I'm leaning towards a 19" frame. Also, I haven't been looking at women-specific frames based on what I've gathered from the forums. Does anyone see a problem with this?

mtbr member
    I'm 6' (long limbs) and have large Tallboy. I don't think I've ever fit on a 17" bike, but it wouldn't hurt for her to try both, especially if you are going for a 29er. To be honest, being so tall, I've never looked at women specific frames - there's just so many bikes and you can adjust things like stem etc for fit. Have her test ride a ton of bikes!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

5'11" long limbed girlfriend

Have her demo both sizes in as many bike manufacturers as possible. My gf is 5'9" and tried my Specialized large. Too big for her. She ended up getting a med. As said in other reply you can always adjust with stems, handlebar rise and sweep, etc.

mtbr member
    My wife is 5'10" with long arms and legs. She has always ridden a mens bike. She is currently infatuated with her 2011 GF Hifi Deluxe 29er 17.5.

Have her try both. Go smaller if it is a toss up. Smaller will be lighter and a little easier to toss around.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I'm 5'11'' and have always gone for a guy's frame, as well. I started with a 19.5 Trek, loved the Large Giant Anthem, and currently have a Large Santa Cruz Superlight 29'er. Women's frames are way to small for me, but I have long, long legs.

My guess is the 19'' will fit her best, but you won't know until she tries both out.

mtbr member
    My friend (female) is 5' 11', and I'm 5' 8". We both ride a 17" Stumpjumper, but she has a longer stem on hers.