mtbr member
    Sep 2007

25" standover FS frames?

So I know the XXS bike threads on here are numerous, but none of them address the specific problem I am having. My wife is 4'11" with a 26" inseam. She used to MTB but hasn't at all since we moved to CO because she doesn't have a FS bike any longer. Considering the rocky trails around where we live, it basically isn't much fun on a hardtail, and I recently sold all of my rigid bikes and got one good FS bike.

The problem: she needs a FS frame with ideally 25" or MAX 26" standover height. 27" does not work, or anything larger obviously. I read on here that standover height is not important (by those who don't have this problem), and it most certainly is: she wants to be able to stop on a rocky trail and put her feet down without jumping off the bike. I would want the same. She has tried 27" frames and they are simply too tall.

There aren't many options: I was always going to build a XXS Titus Racer-X but the frames were $3K back in the day. Now Titus has the "X Alloy" in XXS with a claimed standover of 24.9" (great), but I have read on multiple forums that the Titus standover heights were never really that low, and more like 27" or 28" (which don't work). Since I can only buy this frame online from Planet-X, I can't even have her test it until it is built with a fork and wheels, and if it is more than 26" I've just wasted $900 on a frame (+ components) that doesn't fit.

Other past options which aren't made anymore and I can't seem to find: XXS Yeti ASR - can't find a published standover measurement but I remember it being within range. XS Titus Moto-Lite - but again possibly standover measurements are wrong. And of course the XXS Racer-X if the measurements are correct.

Options that don't work: any of the big names (Giant, Trek, Spesh) - none of them make anything with a standover less than 27" (or even close), and most are going to 29ers on XS frames, which in my opinion is just stupid. New model Santa Cruz Juliana looks as nice as the old model, great price, etc. but it is too big - actually got to try an XS at the bike store.

Any ideas are appreciated. I am running out of options and can't afford to have some custom frame (Seven, Black Sheep, whatever) built for $3-5K.

Moderator Moderator
    ^^ Apologies, as I don't know enough about the bikes mentioned to actually answer your question, but my tip for riding "not enough standover" bikes would be to keep one foot on the pedal at 6 o'clock postion as you lean the bike over and place the opposite foot on the ground. This lowers the effective standover significantly. This is actually a more stable way to get off anyways, as if you try to just plant both feet in a more narrow position hovering over the top tube, some day you will lose your balance and pitch over sideways. Another handy dismount in some situations is hopping off the rear.

mtbr member
    9zero7 bikes have lowered TTs but I don't know if they have FS bikes in their lineup. What about junior sized FS bikes? Can you find something in a junior sized lineup, like 26ers or even 24s?

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I had the same problem finding a FS bike for my wife, she is 5'4" and a very short standover, just under 27".

The only FS bikes i could find in a XS or XXS were Pivot.

They have a XXS Mach 4 which has a SO of 25.5 with a 100mm Fork, and 25.9 with a 120mm fork

if you need/ want a longer travel bike, they do a XS Mach 5.7, which had a SO of 26.6 with a 150mm fork, it would slightly lower if you put on a 140mm fork

I ended up getting my wife a Mach 5.7 in XS and she loves it, will be taking it to BC in June and cant wait

mtbr member
    +1 on the Pivot. I'm 5' 1" and rode my share of too big bikes. I can vouch for the fact that stand over height IS important. I have an XXS Pivot Mach 4 now that I LOVE.

Pivot has a demo truck running around CO for the next few weeks. That's how I managed to find an XXS small to test ride. Here's a link to their demo schedule Demo | Pivot Cycles - Mountain Bikes for XC, Trail, Downhill

mtbr member
    +1 on the Pivot.

I'm 5"1' and I demo'd the Pivot Mach 4 XXS - definitely very comfortable standover, and a great ride.

-laine

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Awesome.. thanks for the info everyone, and especially the specs on the Pivot.. that is one company I wasn't familiar with but it looks perfect! We will head down to try a demo when they roll through Golden in a couple weeks..