mtbr member
    Apr 2005

1st MTB for Wife Trek 4500 WSD?

My wife wants to join me on some of my shorter and milder mountain bike rides. Pavement, gravel roads, and fire roads. My LBS says the Trek 4500 WSD would be good for this. My wife, who is 50 tall and weighs 110 lbs, has ridden one and likes it. Is this a good bike for her intended riding style? Are they reliable over the long term?

Thanks

life is a barrel o'fun
    Your LBS says it's good; your wife says she likes it; it's a Trek; she's an entry-level biker. What more do you want?

I've had the 4500 (regular) and currently the 4900 (WSD). Got the WSD when the first one got stolen. That was about five years ago, and I love it. Sturdy and nimble.

I did upgrade the front shock (very stiff) and have a Thudbuster seatpost (not really necessary.) Never had a problem with this bike, it's terrific in the city streets as well as a techy trail.
    "We sat outside the dentist, tooting a horn on the guy's bike."-overheard in the Underground

The Martian
    Jan 2007
    I am also 5', and vary between 120-130lbs. I have a 2yr old Trek 4500 WSD (non-disk, but with disk mounts).

Love it! It fits great, it rides great, no complaints! I've ridden the heck out of it for two years, including instructing a college mountain biking course and beating the crap out of it jumping curbs and learning to bunny hop (and all the misjudgements that end up coming with both ). No large jumps or anything, but plenty of steap uphill climbs and fast downhill on both fireroads and mild singletrack. It's never let me down and rides like the day I bought it. The only things I've replaced are the pedals (went to a SPD clipless) and the brake levers (I fell with said SPD pedals and snapped one). I had the wheels retrued once, after a particularly nasty fall where I jammed my front tire dead into a log going far too fast...definitely my fault!

I'm just now starting to consider a replacement bike, only because I have decided that yes I am serious about mountain biking and want something lighter and, I'll admit it, more flashy. As I said before the bike still runs great and I intend on keeping it and riding it even after I've found the "replacement"; I've just caught the "bling" bug I guess

It's a GREAT mid-range entry level bike that won't let her down if it fits her well. I say go for it!

life is a barrel o'fun
    As I said before the bike still runs great and I intend on keeping it and riding it even after I've found the "replacement"

I've got the Blur and still crave the Trek from time to time, when the FS would be overkill. Hell, I took the Trek on my annual Easter ride to my aunt's house- 25 miles on the road. Very comfy.

I can even take apart/put together the Trek for shipping, great for traveling.
    "We sat outside the dentist, tooting a horn on the guy's bike."-overheard in the Underground

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I've got one! I love it--it is 2 years old and was a replacement for a 1995 Trek 7000 that was stolen. I've done a bunch of races with it. I've added disk brakes and upgraded the rear tire (the one that came with it was HORRIBLE and I mean that--get rid of the one it comes with if you will be doing any steep or slippery stuff). I've ridden it pretty hard and feel it has held up great.
    I chose this one becuase it was what my budget would allow at the time. Now, I'm looking to lighten it a bit as it is sort of heavy, relatively speaking at least, since I am riding more and doing a lot more races. I'll keep the frame and upgrade components. I think it would be a great bike for a beginner/intermediate and give her room to improve without outgrowing the bike right away.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Thanks everyone. Bought it today at lunch. She doesn't know I'm bringing it home. She'll be elated.

less is more
    Quote Originally Posted by mes2003
    I've got one! I love it--it is 2 years old and was a replacement for a 1995 Trek 7000 that was stolen.
    I still have my Trek 7000 I still love it. I think Trek is a good bike in this price range & you won't go wrong w/ the 4500 WSD.
    Finesse is everything.

mtbr member
    I have a 4300, I do more with it than what you are looking for. I am small. This bike was my first and got me into mountain biking. I still ride cause I have not found my next bike. Trek puts good componets into thier entry level bikes.